1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a as new Colt Special Combat 1911 with the hard crome. The gun looks great wish I had a digital camera. Just curious if anyone has had any experiences with these guns? Opion, complaints, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those are fine guns! You made a great choice in the hard chrome as the only complaint I have ever heard on special combats are the ones with nickle frames the nickle comes off.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is a very good price if it is new in the box. They are nice pistols and almost all the comments that I have seen here about them has been good. Enjoy your new pistol.

Chuck

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
CONGRATS .45 Champion... you're going to love your SCG, I'm sure!

I Love mine... it will be my pistol choice for 3-gun competition... reliable and very accurate, what more could you ask for?

Since these pics I've ditched the 3-hole trigger (I just don't like the look of the three-hole - they're EVERYWHERE!) in favor of a Kimber Match trigger (has two rectangular openings in the trigger shoe). Other than that, mine's all Colt. Add a Wilson 10-round mag for competition and it's a GO. Love it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Dhart

How would you say accuracy is compared to a gold cup. If you dont have a cup to compare? what kind of groups are you getting at what distances? Thanks. i want to get the same one. Do you have series 70 or 80?

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
lougotzz... I had a Gold Cup Trophy... nice gun, I loved the flat, serrated top on it... that was my favorite thing about the gun. But for some reason the Gold Cup just didn't light me up, so I sold it.

Personally, I think the Special Combat Government makes a better target/competition gun (despite the "combat" moniker :rolleyes: ) I see the SCG as being at least the equal in accuracy, perhaps moreso than the Gold Cup. I'd skip on the Gold Cup and get a SCG. As far as I know, all SCG's are series 80.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gun was bought as new. The previous owner got it for a birthday present from his spouse put one mag through it and traded it back to the gun store for a glock and some mags for it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As soon as I pick up my SS NRM in .38 super I plan on ordering a special combat. I like the two tone version in blue and nickel though. Dhart my wife blames you for posting nice pictures all the time. she says you get me going......:p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This gun is great it shoots like dream I just put two hundred rounds through it with zero malfunctions. Accuracy is also good it beats my Wilson Combat SS Protector hands down as far as accuracy kind of sad considering the Wilson cost twice as much as the colt. I shoot at four targets firing 50rds at each and each time I ended up with almost a perfect 3in circle shot out of each target. This was done at 13yrds I know my shooting is not the best, but I am sure the gun would do better in the right hands. This gun is great.:) :) :)

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
larry... glad I could be of help!~ ;)

45 champion... congrats! :p

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Wife has the carry version i.e.-all blue, nite sites. Added a S&A magwell for kicks. Finicky about which 10 rd'rs it'll use, but uses any 7-8 rd'rs. It's the most accurate gun in the house. Over 8000 rds with a total of 5 malfunctions and all 5 were my reloads, using National Bullet copper plated flat nose 230's and 3.6 Clays. 18# ISMI spring. 10-15 different JHP's-handloads as well as factory, without a choke. Until I got the nite sites in my Gunsite, it was the home defense gun. Love it and if I weren't using the Gunsite for all my competitions, I'd be looking for another SCG Hard Chrome. Change the black site for nites and it would be perfect. Tracy

·
Registered
867 Posts
Dhart,

i thought the SCG came in 70 and 80 series. The colt website has 2 model numbers for them. Unless that is old history. i have a gold cup already and I like it. i would love to get a SCG in hard chrome. Thanks. What should I expect to pay for a hard chrome new or like new?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
1075??? Doggone, thats a good price! A local shop had a blue and nickel one for the low low, fair price of..........1850! And it was used....:scratch:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know the people that run the shop so they gave me a deal it was originally marked for $1150. But like I said I only paid $1075 after tax. The truth is though after shooting it today I would say the gun is worth a lot more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
lougotzz said:
Dhart,

i thought the SCG came in 70 and 80 series. The colt website has 2 model numbers for them. Unless that is old history. i have a gold cup already and I like it. i would love to get a SCG in hard chrome. Thanks. What should I expect to pay for a hard chrome new or like new?

I believe the 1970 or 1980 model numbers refer to the two-tone vs all hard chrome finish.

I bought an all-chrome SCG last year, paid $1400 out the door. Only things I've changed is the front sight to a night sight, since I just couldn't see the black on black well even in daytime, and I've rounded the edges of the Bomar rear. It's been totally reliable and absolutely amazing, with all sorts of power levels of reloads and factory ammo.

If we could carry single-actions on duty, my SCG would replace my Glock 22 and my occasional SIG P220.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts