1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am somewhat disappointed with my first trip to the range with the EFS. I was hoping it would reliably feed FMJ Ball ammo but it had some problems. I fired 200 rnds of PMC FMJ, 50 rnds of Rem 230 grn JHP and 20 rnds of Federal 180 grn Hi-shok HP. the mags I used were supplied with the gun (Mecgar?). With few exceptions, I experienced at least one FTF with each full mag I ran through the gun. Usually, the slide would not completely lock up due to the case being in front of the extractor rather than the rim of the case being locked behind the extractor. Sometimes a round would hang up on the feed ramp, but only occasionally. A few rounds got dented pretty badly by the slide as they would hang up sideways with the nose of the bullet angled into the upper part of the chamber and the rim of the case still in the magazine. Is this most likely a magazine problem or an extractor problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The accuracy of the CD was superb! My groups at 10 to 15 yards ran about 2". I hit a paper plate 7 out of 8 shots at 50 yards. I am more than pleased with the CD's accuracy. The trigger needs some work though, which I expected. I got a nice blister on my trigger finger due to the pull weight (feels in excess of 10 lbs and gritty).

Any suggestions on how to remedy my feeding problems?

·
Registered
233 Posts
those problems will go away,its new. and needs a little time
if you like buy a wilson's are cmc magazine befor your next range vesit. that will also determing your extractor. i use a 18.5 recoil spring. and i havent hade the problems you mention. but give it a little time for breaking in. use comm ball ammo. than after breaking in go to what ever you want to shoot. let us know how your next range report goes???

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Probably the extractor is at fault, which is something I wouldn't doubt for a minute considering the the extractors I've seen on these pistols.

Replace it with an Ed Brown or Wilson unit and see if that doesn't correct the problem. If not, send it back. I have never accepted the "it needs to be broken in" excuse for any gun that isn't a highly tuned bullseye piece. I'm currently up to 23 1911s in my safe and none of which (including my EFS) have required any "break in" period.

I do believe this "breaking in" is getting to be more common with higher end guns, since most manufacturers are providing what the gun writers are telling consumers to ask for: Tightly fitted guns that are more accurate than 99.9% of the users will ever be capable of seeing. The end result is people buying carry/action guns that are fitted like bullseye guns. These same people then have the nerve to suggest 1911s are unreliable. Mr. Browning knew exactly how to make a handgun reliable and accurate enough to plug someone at 50 yards, but modern smiths and manufacturers keep forgetting that 100% reliability is much more important than 1" groups at 25 yards versus 2" groups.

Since CDs aren't up to this kind of tight fitting, plus your description, the extractor is at fault. The hook could be deformed or it could just be way too tight. In another post I described the best way to dispose of a cast extractor, so no need to repeat that.

I know the range experience sucks, but figure that's why you still have a few hundred dollars left over after buying a CD instead of a Colt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks James Beam and Walking Point. I have an Ed Brown extractor on the way from Brownell's. The UPS man showed up about a half and hour after I got back from the range with my CM Power Mags. Good timing
. I'll see how they perform on my next range session.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would dump the mags that came with the gun and go buy a Wilson Combat or a Chip McCormick mag. This solved 90% of my FTF problems with my Charles Daly. Also check to see if the firing pin stop fits snugly or is a sloppy fit. If it is sloppy, then the extractor will rotate in it's tunnel and misfeed at times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts