Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well, a few days ago I was looking for a handgun to buy with my C&R license and I came across a 1927 Sistema offered by CDNN Investmenst for $300. After I posted here asking about the quality of this handgun I recieved favorable responses so I decided to get one.

Now, this is my first 1911 so please be patient with my review...but off the top, I have to ask myself "What the hell took me so long to get a Colt .45 Auto?!"

Appearance wise(Remember we're talking about a $300 gun here)-

1) The finish is VERY nice. There are about 3 or 4 small nicks, but they obviously happened before the re-finishing so they are hardly noticable.

2) The grips are plastic, brown and checkered...but in excellent condition.

3)The machining is pretty darn good. Only in a few spots is it noticably not perfect, and these are in areas that do not affect the functionality of the weapon. Not bad for a "surplus" weapon at all!

Functionality-

Well, I guess this is where the rubber meets the road.

1) The mag release button does nothing more than allow you to use your free hands fingernails to forcebly pull the mag free from the well. No free-falls here. But, that's OK...I'll explain later.

2) I also ordered a McCormick ambi-safety because I'm a lefty...but it REFUSED to fit, much less function. But, that's OK.

3) Inserting a full 8-rnd mag (Springfield) with a closed chamber was near impossible. It refused to seat properly w/o a VERY, VERY firm slap on the bottom of the mag.

4) Now once a full mag was seated, the mag release button was now impossible to depress to release the mag. But, that's OK.

5) Shooting it. After a good initial cleaning I fired 53 FMJ rounds thru it.

Summary:

I smiled...I giggled...and then I fired it some more. It was flawless. It felt more natural in my hand than any Glock or S&W or Taurus I own. It points so well, I feel that I could damn near hit anything without hardly a glance! I'm hooked.

Am I dissapointed with its problems? Of course not...this is an inexpensive and somewhat rough version of a type of handgun that I have a feeling I will be owning more than one of in the future.

Finally, why did I buy an inexpensive surplus model that I thought might have its share of problems? Simple, because it is impossible to appreciate the quality and perfection any item w/o first becoming familiar with it when it is nothing more than servicable.

Well, this particular .45 may be nothing more than servicable, but I DEFINATELY see more 1911s in my future!

Have a good one!

·
Administrator
72,091 Posts
Congrats!

The issues you mentioned are minor and easily corrected. First, avoid 8-round mags and you should have no trouble seating them fully. There's a reason why John Browning made the original mags hold only seven, trust me. Second, experiment with mags until you find a brand that pops cleanly out of the gun when you push the mag release. I have heard from many folks that Sistemas seem to have tight mag wells. And regarding the ambi safety, if you've never fit one to a 1911 before it can be really tricky. First off, it HAS to be fitted! If you didn't try fitting it, then no wonder it didn't go in. The knobby thingy on the back side of the left safety lever has to be fitted to the sear, or else the safety doesn't work. So in other words, let a gunsmith do it.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Gotcha.......1911's are worse than potato chips, while you can't stop at just one they cost so much more.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
Gotcha.......1911's are worse than potato chips, while you can't stop at just one they cost so much more.

Ditto!

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Four Para-Ordnances later and I'm looking at a Kimber and another Para. I've got quite a collection going and I love them.

------------------
Gun crontrol is being able to hit what you aim at
NRA Life Member
Hunter for life
Biker for life

·
Registered
332 Posts
where did you find a box of 53 rds?

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I bought my first 1911 this past July. Bought my second 1911 three weeks later. :rolleyes:
These things are addictive! :rofl:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Amen and amen. I bought my first 1911 (springer) at the first of the year. Seven months later I welcomed into my home my 2nd 1911, a Para P14.45.
You might as well start saving for the next one. You'll be ready for it sooner than you think. ;)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
T Smith, Welcome to the club! I just got my last 1911 broke in, and am wondering what to get next.

You will need a gunsmith to fit the safety, it's important that it works properly. Try a Wilson #47, 7 round mag, you'll not regret it.

I suggest you get a good 1911 book, or some help and learn how to detail strip the gun. Use this one to learn what makes a 1911 tick.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My first Sistema.........

Is somewhere in this group!!! :biglaugh:

They are addictive...and reasonably priced....or at least used to be.
I have seen the cost rise over the past year.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
One little suggestion. Try ejecting the magazine after you loosen the grips. It's just possible that after so many years the grip screws might have been overtightened and worn past the fame so they project into the magazine well. If it turns out to be the cause of the problem you can either get new grips or file the screws shorter. I'd opt for new grips. CDNN had them for the Sistema and maybe still does. I didn't realize that they still had Sistemas for sale.

·
Administrator
72,091 Posts
MoNkEyTurbo said:
He decieded 47 rounds would be enough left if the neighborhood squirrels get unruley.
Good grief, this thread is THREE years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.