1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took the plunge and bought my first Kimber. I love this pistol! The dream 45 I have wanted for years. I bought the classic custom blued version. Anyone else have this version? It has a black parkerized finish. Awesome trigger pull and in the 50 rounds of Winchester white box I shot through it yesterday, it is completely reliable and very accurate.
I was wondering about the finish. Is it very durable? I prefer blued guns to stainless most of the time.

I already ordered some Kimber rosewood grips to replace the black rubber ones on it.

Anyway there it is.

wazzup

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good choice, I've got the same gun and love it. My finish has held up pretty good, but I've be carrying the gun more and using it in some matches, so I'm getting a little holster wear,,,,but that WILL happen regardless.

Good gun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Congratulations!! Forget about keeping your pistol in mint condition. That is, if you plan to use it. Invariably you will get minor scuff marks when breaking in a new holster and inadvertent dings from shooting in and around ports, cover and barriers. I too purchased their rosewood grips for my Kimber (in double diamond) for looks. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Choice!!
I bought mine in January and it is very reliable, put 1500 rounds trough it without a problem. Mine came with walnut grips.
No wear shown on the finish yet, but if you use it, it will show some wear in time.

Dennis

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 4 year old Custom Classic which has never been holstered and has had, maybe, 500-600 rounds through it at the range. The black oxide finish (what you are calling blued/parkerized) is pretty cheezy and is wearing just from contact with my hand. On the front strap you can clearly see where my fingers cross when I'm gripping the pistol because of the thinning finish. This finish is an embarassment to an otherwise classy product.

Thankfully, its been a wonderful pistol otherwise. It was shooting this pistol for the first time in a year or so that brought me back from the dark side (a Glock ;-) to the 1911 I never should have left in the first place. I'm *so* much more accurate with this pistol than I ever was with the Glock.

As soon as I get the time, and get my sandblasting cabinet set back up again, the Custom Classic is going to get a nice new coating of Norell's Moly Resin finish which should be much more durable than the Kimber finish it came with.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm somewhere around the 600 round mark with my Custom Classic and have found it to be accurate and extremely reliable. Reliable enough to become my primary carry weapon in a "Down Under" holster from Highnoon Holsters. I've tested it with all sorts of ammo and bullet types and it's not particular at all. I haven't even had a problem with the infamous Kimber supplied magazine.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought my first Kimber too. A Classic Custom Target.

I bought it used with the rosewood grips already on it.

I love it. I shoot it better than any DA/SA
type gun in my collection. I really hate to admit that, but it's true.

I've only ran about 200 rounds of 230gr ball through mine, but it runs like a train.

------------------
Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less or your next on is free!

Minuteman III LGM30G

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just liberated my Kimber Stainless Custom Target II from its 10 day PRK incarceration. Man this is a nice pistol. I'll be celebrating July 4th at the range, doing my civic duty, remembering our fore fathers and learning the intracacies of this impressive instrument.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by robr_45acp:
I just liberated my Kimber Stainless Custom Target II from its 10 day PRK incarceration. Man this is a nice pistol. I'll be celebrating July 4th at the range, doing my civic duty, remembering our fore fathers and learning the intracacies of this impressive instrument.
I think you got mine
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive at my friendly neighborhood gunshop to begin its 10 day California stint in the safe. *sigh*

Maybe it'll come in on the 9th.

Have fun celebrating your freedom with that Kimber!

-- John

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had my Kimber Classic Royal since Jan. 2000 rds. and it is perfect, No problem with std. mags. I need nite sights. I am still new to handguns and this gun was remarkable out of the box. Have "Ultra Ten II" on order, should be in mid July.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by wazzup66:
Finally took the plunge and bought my first Kimber. I love this pistol! The dream 45 I have wanted for years.(snip)
Good choice. I have the Kimber Custom Target. It has been a real work horse. I've fired about 2500 rounds through it,without any malfunctions. Except when I use crappy Wolf ammo, then I'll stove-pipe spent brass every now and then. Otherwise, it works beautifully. Given the reliablility and accuracy, I think it's a real value for your buck.

------------------
I accept cookies....and milk!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just picked up my Custom II from it's quarantine (Gun Exchange) last Sunday! I love it, and I haven't even shot it yet, I will remedy that TONIGHT though, I'll be at NSC breaking it in around 7 or so.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts