1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a low battery warning on my gun safe, so naturally, I installed new batteries. Now it won't open :bawling:. Anybody have any ideas before I take a cutting wheel and five pound sledge to it? It's a cheap one I have in my reloading room for my range guns and ammo. It's a Bulldog Floor Vault, the 12 gun model. Needless to say, I knew I was rolling the dice with an electronic combination lock. Should have waited until a mechanical lock was available, but I was in kind of a hurry. My free time is sometimes very rare.
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
You should just do like you see in the movies.

Blow the lock off of it with a precisely aimed shot from your pistol. :dope:

·
Registered
159 Posts
When in doubt, read the instructions

Or if you don't have the manual for it any more, check their web site, or call the manufacturer. I'm not optimistic for your situation right now, but the device may have been built with a somewhat friendly default mode after battery replacement.

Next time, don't close the door until you've got the device confirmed in working order. You can release the bolts with the door open and rehearse. If it doesn't work, a locksmith can accomplish much more, costing you much less, with the door open, working from the inside of the door.

I did safes (with cash and checks in them) for years in USAF. Those were our procedures.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Most (all?) safes have an electronic override code. Contact the mfg.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
From the factory all the Browning safes come with the six digit code: 1,2,3,4,5,6, and then #. Try that. The lock may have reset to that when the you changed the batteries.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is why mine is strictly manual. I don't trust electronic security not to fail when the battery dies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Limited Success

I found the key, so at least I can open it. I needed to put some guns away from me and my ten year old going to the range. Still need to figure out how to reset the electronic combo. For all the suggestions, thanks. I hadn't thought about the well placed pistol shot, honestly, just hammer and chisel.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
some electronic combo locks drain batteries in no time.....some don't. i got only one safe with electronic digital combination lock somehow the batteries seem to last forever.

Finally changed batteries last night ....first time in many many years(4 AA batteries). No need to reset combination, somehow the old combination was still working.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If your safe can be opened with a hammer and chisel or a "well placed shot" then it isn't worth having. If it resets to some other combination just because you removed the battery, that's even worse.

What is the brand of this cabinet? We need to steer clear of it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Usually any electronic device has a factory code in the manual, if not try all zeros.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It is my understanding that the combination key code is stored inside the safe lock, not in the keypad. Even if the keypad batteries went completely dead, the code is in the lock not the pad. You might just have a defective pad. All is not lost, yet. I would contact the safe manufacture and get instructions from them going forward.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
An electronic lock that resets itself to a factory default when the batteries die could be almost useless. Do you change the batteries from the inside or the outside? If from the outside all a burglar would need to do is know the factory code, pop the batteries, and enter the code. If from the inside you had better put that key in a very safe place and never lose it.

Are there any buttons/switches inside the safe? I have a small pistol vault and you reset the combo by opening the vault, holding down a button inside, and keying in the combo you want. Then you let go of the button and viola, new combo.

My heritage safe has a battery replaceable from the outside. The combo does not change when you replace it. I replace it once a year and install the old battery from the safe into my son's RC car controller. It lasts about as long as a brand new battery so the safe seems to use very little of the battery in a year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've had this thing for about two years, and this is my first time replacing the batteries, as this is the first time the low battery warning light came on when I opened it. It takes four AAs that install on the inside of the door. I thought the combo would be saved also when changing batteries. If it does this by default, that's a pretty lame design. But, like I said, I rolled the dice when I bought a safe with an electronic digital lock. The key works, but since it hadn't been used since I got it, it was/is kind of stiff. I'm almost afraid of breaking it, but it's one of those barrel keys, so is probably OK. Anyway, it is what it is. I'm looking for another one now to replace it, with a mechanical lock, of course.
Just a word to the wise, this is no longer listed on Bulldog Cases website. If you do a search, it's model BD572016, and shows "Discontinued by Manufacturer". Several places seem to have these on sale, and they do get good reviews. Like I said, just a heads up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts