1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new Kimber Custom II yesterday and put 100 rounds through it today. Very nice shooting gun, I can see it becoming my favorite very quickly, but it was a bit frustrating. I had a FTF on the last round in every magazine. Seemed like the extractor might be too tight and the last round was not fitting into it when feeding. It never jammed on any round but the last. After the first 50 rounds, I started loading 3 at a time and it would jam on roughly every other magazine. I love this gun, is this something that will improve itself after the breakin or what?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Tactical Pro II had exactly the same problem. I switched to wilson 47de mags and the problem went away. I also think the gun just needed to break in though. The factory mag that was giving me fits now works effortlessly also.:D

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
FreakyBig,
Kimber's factory magazines tend to be a crap shoot as to whether or not they will function reliably. Most FTF tend to be magazine related. Consider buying some Wilson Combat #47D
8 rd. magazines or CMC 8 rd. Power Mags. Both are quality made magazines.:cool:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Hey freaky,
I had,(past tense I hope)the same problem with a TLE I
purchased in September of this year and It was NOT the Magazines.I own several Wilson mags I shoot in various 1911s ,and same problem,
ftf on last round.
After messing around with extractor tension,unsuccessfully,as well as trying a new Wilson bulletproof extractor,
I found that if I dropped a round in the chamber and then dropped the slide,the gun would not go into battery,why? because the extractor would not ,could not,ride into the rim of the case.looking at the front of the extractor it is kind of rectangular while the extractor hole or channel is round.There just wasn't enough room for the extractor to fit around the rim.
Normally when feeding,the round is stripped from the top of the mag and slides up in back of the extractor,but not on the last round.I ended up rounding the extractor to fit better and I think the problem is solved.Time will tell.But a very FRUSTRATING experience .

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had the same problem also, it did not seem to matter what mag
I uesd. After about 300 rounds it stoped. I would still stick with wilson 47de mags.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Switch mags...after about 1000 rounds through my factory kimber mag, it began doing that on the last round of the mag. However im gonna go against the grain and reccommend CMC powermags, none of the 3 47's i use seat well in the gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same problem here, I sent my OEM mag back and Kimber replaced it. In the meanwhile I tried several and settled on the Chip McCormick's.

Since then....purrrfect

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I origionally thought it would be magazine related since it is only the last round, but the guy at the shop said that the extractor was probably just tight and that I just need to break it in. I'll try a Wilson or McCormick mag and see if that helps. He also said that the factory mags are made by McCormick, is that true? I'm going to order a few mags, does the 8rd Wilson or CMC powermag protrude from the grip? I like the flush look of the factory 7rd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts