1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the differences between the TGO1, TGO2, and TGO3?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
the TGO-1 is a Custom Shop built gun, similar to a Pro

here's my TGO-1

TGO I PC9206
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 7 + 1
Barrel: National Match 5" stainless steel, 1:16 LH
Sights: Deluxe low mount BoMar rear sight. Dawson fiber optic front sight with certificate.
Sight Radius: 7"
Size: 38 ozs., 8.5" overall length
Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs.
Magazines: 4-with Slam Pads
MSRP: $2,999
Specifications
Robar Industries Ltd. Bi-Tone Finish
Slide: Roguard Proprietary Black Finish
Frame: NP-3 Proprietary Nickel/Teflon Finish
Robar Industries Ltd. Lifetime Certificate of Authenticity
Deluxe Low Mount BoMar Fully Adjustable Rear Sight
Dawson Fiber Optic Front Sight
National Match Lightweight Adjustable Speed Trigger
Smith and Alexander Hand Checkered Flat Mainspring
Housing with Magwell
Hand Checkered Front Strap 20 LPI
Nowlin Match Grade Throated Barrel and Bushing
Titanium Firing Pin
Forged Frame and Slide
Carry Bevel™ Treatment
High-Hand™ Beavertail Grip Safety
Ambidextrous Thumb Safety
2 Sets of Grips:
Leatham Legend Signature Laser Engraved
Thin Lined Cocobolo Smooth Wood
Black Macarta Double Diamond Grips
Torx™ Head Grip Screws
Springfield Custom Delta Tool Steel Hammer and Sear
National Match 2 Piece Full Length Stainless Steel Guide Rod
Lowered and Flared Ejection Port
Extended Ejector
Extended Magazine Release
Lifetime Warranty
Custom Aluminum Case
Unique Legend Series Markings and Serial Number
Certificate of Authenticity
Letter From Rob Leatham
Autographed Picture From Rob Leatham
Autographed Target Shot by Rob Leatham
(No MIM)

IIRC, the TGO-2 is similar to a TRP and theTGO-3 is similar to a Loaded

TGO II PC9106L
Barrel: 5" stainless steel throated match barrel and bushing, 1:16 LH
Sights: BoMar low mount adjustable rear sight. Dawson fiber optic front sight with certificate.
Size: 38 ozs., 8.5" overall length
Trigger Pull: 4.5 to 5 lbs.
Robar Industries Ltd. Bi-Tone Finish
Slide: Roguard Proprietary Black Finish
Frame: NP-3 Proprietary Nickel/Teflon Finish
Robar Industries Ltd. Lifetime Certificate of Authenticity
BoMar Low Mount Fully Adjustable Rear Sight
Flat Checkered (I.L.S.™) Mainspring Housing
Springfield Armory® Wide Mouth Funneled Magwell
Machine Checkered Front Strap 20 LPI
Hammer Forged Match Quality Throated Barrel and Bushing
Titanium Firing Pin
Forged Frame and Slide
Carry Bevel™ Treatment
2 Sets of Grips:
Torx™ Head Grip Screws
Delta Leightweight Hammer
Loaded Chamber Indicator
Lifetime Warranty
Custom Aluminum Case
Double Serrated Slide
Letter from Rob Leatham
Autographed Picture from Rob Leatham

TGO III PX9106L
Barrel: 5" stainless steel throated match barrel and bushing, 1:16 LH
Sights: Springfield Armory® fully adjustable rear sight with low mount BoMar cut Dawson fiber optic front sight.
Size: 30 ozs., 8.5" overall length
Trigger Pull: 4.5 to 5 lbs.
Lightweight Forged Aluminum Frame with Black Armoy Kote™ Finish
Stainless Steel Slide
Springfield Armory® fully adjustable rear sight with low mount BoMar cut
Flat Checkered (I.L.S.™) Mainspring Housing
Beveled Magwell
Hammer Forged Match Quality Throated Barrel and Bushing
Titanium Firing Pin
Forged Frame and Slide
Carry Bevel™ Treatment
2 Sets of Grips:
Torx™ Head Grip Screws
Delta Leightweight Hammer
Lowered and Flared Ejection Port
Loaded Chamber Indicator
Lifetime Warranty
Custom Aluminum Case
Double Serrated Slide
Letter from Rob Leatham
Autographed Picture from Rob Leatham

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
thanks.
BTW, the TGO-2 and TGO-3 are no longer being produced.
Bud's has a used TGO-2 for sale.
there's also a TGO on gunbroker where it seems like he thinks he has a TGO-1, but it's really a TGO-2.

a simple what to tell which model you are looking at is easy.
TGO-1 has NO front serrations and a Custom Shop logo
TGO-2 has front serrations and NO Custom Shop logo
TGO-3 has a black frame/silver slide.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all that info Quack! That's exactly what I was looking for. So if the TGO1 is like a Pro, what sets it apart from the Pro that justifies the huge price difference?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks.
BTW, the TGO-2 and TGO-3 are no longer being produced.
Bud's has a used TGO-2 for sale.
there's also a TGO on gunbroker where it seems like he thinks he has a TGO-1, but it's really a TGO-2.

a simple what to tell which model you are looking at is easy.
TGO-1 has NO front serrations and a Custom Shop logo
TGO-2 has front serrations and NO Custom Shop logo
TGO-3 has a black frame/silver slide.
If you're referring to this one, it looks like a TGO1 based on your description...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144815751

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Bomar's, Dawson FO sight, Robar finish, the Leatham stuff you get with it, and the rareity. i just bought mine NIB back in August and is #129.
Also didn't pay full retail, bought mine for $2300 shipped from Bud's

IIRC, there were less than 500 Legend Series (TGO1, TGO2, TGO3) pistols made

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not that one. item #144243311 is a TGO2

there is another TGO-1 (item #144291763), but it's got an idiot scratch that you can't see as well as others.
In your opinion, would you buy either of those two or the one I listed? The one I listed was posted by a guy with 0 feedback and he only accepts check/money orders. If he's a fraud there really wouldn't be any recourse.

What are the chances of someone finding a NIB TGO1? And if not, I assume SA wouldn't make one being that they were a limited run of 500?...

I really don't have the cash to buy one right now but I really want one. I want to secure one before I leave to go to Japan for 3 years. The possibility of me finding one when I get back are slimmer than they are now. I would be willing to take out a loan or use my CC to get one.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
In your opinion, would you buy either of those two or the one I listed? The one I listed was posted by a guy with 0 feedback and he only accepts check/money orders. If he's a fraud there really wouldn't be any recourse.

What are the chances of someone finding a NIB TGO1? And if not, I assume SA wouldn't make one being that they were a limited run of 500?...

I really don't have the cash to buy one right now but I really want one. I want to secure one before I leave to go to Japan for 3 years. The possibility of me finding one when I get back are slimmer than they are now. I would be willing to take out a loan or use my CC to get one.
not sure i'd feel comfy buying one from gunbroker, but that's just me. i like to get my hands on guns when i buy them.

they still make the TGO-1, it's just that they don't make many. they pop up every so often. you could always order one, but not sure how long the wait is.

the 500 total was a number that i read somewhere, but that was a total for all 3 models made at the time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure i'd feel comfy buying one from gunbroker, but that's just me. i like to get my hands on guns when i buy them.

they still make the TGO-1, it's just that they don't make many. they pop up every so often. you could always order one, but not sure how long the wait is.

the 500 total was a number that i read somewhere, but that was a total for all 3 models made at the time.
Yeah I noticed the serial numbers on some TGO1's are higher than 500...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think the important part to the TGO-1 version is the no MIM. I was the person that just bought the "idiot marked" unit. I talked to the seller and felt comfortable with him.

George

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the important part to the TGO-1 version is the no MIM. I was the person that just bought the "idiot marked" unit. I talked to the seller and felt comfortable with him.

George
I really don't see MIM being an issue. I hear a lot of people whine about it but don't hear about a lot of failures.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I really don't see MIM being an issue. I hear a lot of people whine about it but don't hear about a lot of failures.
Agreed SWThomas, I think it's more of a personal issue with most, but they just don't know it yet. Even though it is MY preferance to go with hardened forged parts, mainly because I put thousands of rounds through each of my 1911's each year, I would have no issue carrying a 1911 with stock parts after a proper break in and inspection.

I've been working with a 1911 now, a test bed you could say, every part that could be MIM, IS MIM, and that 1911 has just passed the 13k round mark with no issues with the MIM parts yet, and to make it even more fun, I'm using a slide and frame that are CAST, not forged.

When it hits the 20k mark, I'll send it off to Wilson or Brown for inspection but NOT replacement of any MIM parts, unless they are deemed defective, and testing will again continue.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed SWThomas, I think it's more of a personal issue with most, but they just don't know it yet. Even though it is MY preferance to go with hardened forged parts, mainly because I put thousands of rounds through each of my 1911's each year, I would have no issue carrying a 1911 with stock parts after a proper break in and inspection.

I've been working with a 1911 now, a test bed you could say, every part that could be MIM, IS MIM, and that 1911 has just passed the 13k round mark with no issues with the MIM parts yet, and to make it even more fun, I'm using a slide and frame that are CAST, not forged.

When it hits the 20k mark, I'll send it off to Wilson or Brown for inspection but NOT replacement of any MIM parts, unless they are deemed defective, and testing will again continue.
Very cool test!!! I'm very interested and will be following any posts you make about it. :rock:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My main point was that the TGO1 was made without MIM. This makes it much more expensive to manufacture. My TRP has MIM, and hand engraved MIM, I might add. It's a wonderful weapon, but I do expect that the TGO1 to be more accurate. JMHO. I can't wait to get my hands on the TGO1. I hope to have it by this Friday. The seller is working on shipping it tomorrow, so the possibility exists to be at the range on Black Friday...... whoo hooo!:rock:

George

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My main point was that the TGO1 was made without MIM. This makes it much more expensive to manufacture. My TRP has MIM, and hand engraved MIM, I might add. It's a wonderful weapon, but I do expect that the TGO1 to be more accurate. JMHO. I can't wait to get my hands on the TGO1. I hope to have it by this Friday. The seller is working on shipping it tomorrow, so the possibility exists to be at the range on Black Friday...... whoo hooo!:rock:

George
What parts are MIM on the TRP that aren't MIM on the TGO1?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hammer, sear, disconnector, and other small parts are MIM in the TRP
So you're saying that a hammer, sear, disconnector, and pins make a non-MIM gun "much more expensive to manufacture"? Combined those parts probably cost around $100... I'm not seeing where the high expense is. :confused:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Very cool test!!! I'm very interested and will be following any posts you make about it. :rock:
I will post updates off and on as I hit the range. I try to add this test pistol into my range rotation at least once a month giving it at least 150 rounds. One thing you might like to know is the MIM parts are NOT name brand, but parts removed from the lower priced spectrum of 1911's IE: Citadel, AutoOrdnance, RIA, Armscorp.

Both my wife and I carry Kimber stainless full sized Raptors as our primary concealed weapon, in my case, I've replaced the MIM with bullet proof from Wilson, while she's kept the pistol stock with the exception of replacing the stocks with smooth rosewood, while I prefer smooth African Makinsar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts