1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Magnum Research Baby Eagle/Jericho 9mm Semi-compact after shooting a friends full size about a year ago. (full-size frame, 3.75" barrel, imported from IMI) Put about 200 rounds through it without a glitch. Very smooth shooting, very accurate, and very heavy. It's a beast of a pistol, and should make a great range gun.

I'm just wondering how many others are out there and any issues you have had. What other mods have you made? Where do you get your extra mags, holsters, ect.

·
Registered
319 Posts
How do you work the slide on that gun? There seems to be no room to grab the slide because it's so low and then there is that slide mounted safety.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You basically have to grab the ears of the safety when you rack it. It is a little unusual, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had a Compact BE for several years and I love it! Excellent fit and finish and shoots great. I wish I had the full size but I got mine for such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I have had a little problem with the mag that came with it in that the removable base pin does not fit well and it has actually fallen out a few times dumping ammo and parts on the ground. I have a fix in mind but I will need to turn a better fitting pin on my lathe. And I agree with the unusual method of working the slide but like you I got used to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks like a beast of a trigger. How is the pull on that thing? Is the baby eagle as picky about ammo as the full size DE's?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought one of these in .45 for my wife. The slide mounted safety is really stiff, it's a pain in the ass. The double action pull is too heavy for my wife, but she likes the ergonomics. It shoots pretty good though. I don't think we've had any malfuctions with it. The heavy weight helps her control the recoil.

It did have a broken sear spring almost right out of the box. Don't know what that was about, but I was able to fix it right away.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is the baby eagle as picky about ammo as the full size DE's?
That would be a no for my answer. Mine has run everything I put through it. Mine however is an early model with the decocker and I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) but the Jericho does not have the decocker. I looked at a Jericho model (briefly) a few years ago and I don't recall it having it. The DA trigger pull on mine is very smooth and when in the "single action" (cocked) mode it is very crisp (and probably only about 4 lbs) with very little take up. I really like the Baby Eagles albiet on the heavy side as previously mentioned.
The slide mounted safety is really stiff
Mine was very stiff also until I put a few 100 rounds through and it "smoothed" up considerably - along with all other areas that were a little "stiff" but there was never a hangup or FTF.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought one of these in .45 for my wife. The slide mounted safety is really stiff, it's a pain in the ass. The double action pull is too heavy for my wife, but she likes the ergonomics. It shoots pretty good though. I don't think we've had any malfuctions with it. The heavy weight helps her control the recoil.

It did have a broken sear spring almost right out of the box. Don't know what that was about, but I was able to fix it right away.
I almost bought the .45 at the gunstore it looked so nice (and it's based on the great CZ design). BUT I couldn't rack the slide - no points to grip except the pointy safety levers. And the website says +P is not allowed. WHAT! Even Rugers allow +P, full SAAMI, NATO. This rock solid gun is based in one of the shootingest parts of the world and won't take +P?

·
Registered
314 Posts
POS - I've seen only two examples used in IDPA type-stuff and they were jam-o-matics that broke. Personally, I will avoid any pistol with the slide mounted safety for a variety of reasons (Ever racked the slide on a M92 and only realized you decocked/safetied it when you wanted to shoot it?)

·
Registered
538 Posts
POS - I've seen only two examples used in IDPA type-stuff and they were jam-o-matics that broke. Personally, I will avoid any pistol with the slide mounted safety for a variety of reasons (Ever racked the slide on a M92 and only realized you decocked/safetied it when you wanted to shoot it?)
:scratch::confused:
To be honest, I would not consider a Jericho to be a competition gun, and can only imagine what kind of unholy tinkering someone could to to a perfectly fine weapon to make it a race gun.:barf:

I would be sorely disappointed if someone was turned off from a 1911 because of the vast number of malfunctioning model's seen at competitions.

The Jericho's (and note I hate, hate, hate the bad ad campaign names like Baby Eagle or Uzi Eagle) are high quality CZ-75 clones. Mine is reliable and, while inferior to a 1911, is to only gun I would put in the same ball park as a 1911 when it comes to being a "joy to shoot:)".

·
Registered
314 Posts
To be honest, I would not consider a Jericho to be a competition gun, and can only imagine what kind of unholy tinkering someone could to to a perfectly fine weapon to make it a race gun.
The one that went TU was bone stock, used in defensive scenarios/training and not as a "competition" or race gun. While it sounds like they might be nice for plinking at the range, they do not seem be for serious or defensive use and that is a serious issue in my book. BTW, I don't think the owner was ever able to get her's fixed either.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The one that went TU was bone stock, used in defensive scenarios/training and not as a "competition" or race gun. While it sounds like they might be nice for plinking at the range, they do not seem be for serious or defensive use and that is a serious issue in my book. BTW, I don't think the owner was ever able to get her's fixed either.
This sounds like an isolated case. Mine, and the general reputation that I familiar with is that they tend to be very reliable and accurate for a stock gun. Their SD use, however, tends to be limited because they are heavy, full sized 9mm's without the name recognition of, say, a Beretta.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
I had one in .40 I bought around 1998 or so, took it to the range about four or five times. It was fairly accurate and reliable, except it'd jam when a friend shot it, due to limpwristing. On the next range trip, around 2001, I found out the tip had broken off the firing pin, probably due to dry firing.

I called MRI, found out the warranty was expired, but they would look at it. They wanted me to send it in because the firing pin was a custom fit part. The kicker was, they wouldn't mail it back to me, it had to go to an FFL or a business address. There was no way I could receive a gun at my office, so there was only one option.

After it was fixed, I sold it and won't do business with MRI again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts