1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Saturday I could not get around to getting by the gun shop. If you live around Riverside, CA Bullseye Sport is awesome (If I am not allowed to post that part please let me know I will remove, I am checking the rules right now).

I stopped by today, since I had to renew my DL I will go back when my new DL comes in, but my RIA 1911 .45 GI is purchased and put aside. I love shooting the RIA, and have been waiting about 2 years to finally get one, I have been busy working on my Camaro in the interim till now.

Those who have done it, is it incredibly difficult to install sights? I really like white/ night sights, and I modify everything I own. I am well versed in machining engine blocks and measuring tolerances within .0001" so I plan to learn how to modify my RIA.

I will post pics the day I get her, is it weird that I named her? haha.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Apparently you have the skill to upgrade your RIA, so do it and enjoy. Sadly I lack the ability to modify, so I bought the Tactical version:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on your purchase. Apparently you have the skill to upgrade your RIA, so do it and enjoy. Sadly I lack the ability to modify, so I bought the Tactical version:)
I don't know if I do, I just know I am good at measuring, but I bought this to learn on. I might suck horribly lol. I just have to modify everything... It's a curse really.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Those who have done it, is it incredibly difficult to install sights?
not particularly

I really like white/ night sights, and I modify everything I own. I am well versed in machining engine blocks and measuring tolerances within .0001" so I plan to learn how to modify my RIA.

you're mechanical, you should be able to handle it
The general rule of thumb when fitting parts...file on the less expensive part when possible

BTW, I took a road trip to SoCal back in my knucklehead dayz
I spent a little time in Riverside (1982)
Climbed Mount Rubidoux and checked it out..pretty cool:cool:

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
not particularly

you're mechanical, you should be able to handle it
The general rule of thumb when fitting parts...file on the less expensive part when possible

BTW, I took a road trip to SoCal back in my knucklehead dayz
I spent a little time in Riverside (1982)
Climbed Mount Rubidoux and checked it out..pretty cool:cool:

..L.T.A.

Yeah I really won't mess with it till I have a few thousand rounds through it and field stripped it a couple times, I would hate to have something go wrong, these are fun but they are serious business.

Yeah Mt Rubidoux is about a 25-30 minute drive from me, I am in the southwest corner of Riverside. We are checking out Nashville next month since the wife and I are a tad tired of CA and it's BS....

I like filing on the less expensive part rule, seems to be pretty much universal, I won't be welding anything on the RIA though so that's good. Haha.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I would go to the gun store and get the TAC pistol. that way you get the btgs, combat hammer, vented trigger, mostly the dovetailed sights, front and rear. you can't buy them separate for the price difference.
the GI. front sight is a stake on sight, you need a special tool to install Nite Sights or you break the Vile.:D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Yeah I really won't mess with it till I have a few thousand rounds through it and field stripped it a couple times, I would hate to have something go wrong, these are fun but they are serious business.

Yeah Mt Rubidoux is about a 25-30 minute drive from me, I am in the southwest corner of Riverside. We are checking out Nashville next month since the wife and I are a tad tired of CA and it's BS....

I like filing on the less expensive part rule, seems to be pretty much universal, I won't be welding anything on the RIA though so that's good. Haha.
I was a TN transplant to SoCal for 7yrs. Back in TN now, I'll never leave again. Nashville is a great city. Lots of places to go shooting and a man can actually afford land if so inclined. Best Of luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are checking out Nashville next month since the wife and I are a tad tired of CA and it's BS....

Just got back from Nashville, good place. Just stay out of Memphis, its the opposite.
Excellent, thanks for the heads up. I am mostly looking into Nashville since IT seems to be booming decently there, and pay stays about the same as here, supposedly.

I would go to the gun store and get the TAC pistol. that way you get the btgs, combat hammer, vented trigger, mostly the dovetailed sights, front and rear. you can't buy them separate for the price difference.
the GI. front sight is a stake on sight, you need a special tool to install Nite Sights or you break the Vile.:D
Yeah I knew the Tac had that stuff, but I was going to use this one to learn on eventually, I am no pro right now, but I wanted to use the less expensive platform to learn on. Thank you for the heads up, muchly appreciated.

Yes - you're very obviously a lunatic who shouldn't own a pistol; send it to me immediately :)
Aw, damn I was hoping that I wasn't the only lunatic, I suppose now I will have to send it to you, :rofl:

I was a TN transplant to SoCal for 7yrs. Back in TN now, I'll never leave again. Nashville is a great city. Lots of places to go shooting and a man can actually afford land if so inclined. Best Of luck!
Yeah that is what we are noticing, we bought our house out here at the perfect time and have almost twice as much equity in it as we paid, so if it all works out and i find a job out there in a few months then we would be looking at something with land, gotta have my workshop to fiddle with the cars and get what I need to repack ammo.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Night Sights

Well Saturday I could not get around to getting by the gun shop. If you live around Riverside, CA Bullseye Sport is awesome (If I am not allowed to post that part please let me know I will remove, I am checking the rules right now).

I stopped by today, since I had to renew my DL I will go back when my new DL comes in, but my RIA 1911 .45 GI is purchased and put aside. I love shooting the RIA, and have been waiting about 2 years to finally get one, I have been busy working on my Camaro in the interim till now.

Those who have done it, is it incredibly difficult to install sights? I really like white/ night sights, and I modify everything I own. I am well versed in machining engine blocks and measuring tolerances within .0001" so I plan to learn how to modify my RIA. Comments

I will post pics the day I get her, is it weird that I named her? haha.
If you are a Machinist by trade, you'll have no problem with the Sight Set. Rather than staking the front sight, you may want to buy a dovetail cutter and eliminate the need for the narrow tenon front sight. The risk is that an alteration may void your warranty. As for a direct replacement, relatively simple tools are available from Brownell's that help take the guess work out of swapping Sights. Their personnel are generally well versed on the use of the tools sold. Don't be afraid to call the manufacturer of the new Sights. Part of their function is assisting customers with techy questions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are a Machinist by trade, you'll have no problem with the Sight Set. Rather than staking the front sight, you may want to buy a dovetail cutter and eliminate the need for the narrow tenon front sight. The risk is that an alteration may void your warranty. As for a direct replacement, relatively simple tools are available from Brownell's that help take the guess work out of swapping Sights. Their personnel are generally well versed on the use of the tools sold. Don't be afraid to call the manufacturer of the new Sights. Part of their function is assisting customers with techy questions.

Not by trade I have just done enough, if I can do it myself then I do, and have built a couple engines for friends and am a measure 4 times cut once kind of person.

I saw the procedure and I may attempt it a while down the road after I have her broken in and gotten used to field and detail stripping it.

Thank you for that advice about asking the sight manufacturer, that is good to know, and brownell's has been one of my favorite sites for the last couple weeks haha.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks Troop!

Yes - you're very obviously a lunatic who shouldn't own a pistol; send it to me immediately :)
Life in the frying pan can't be something you hope for but I suppose you got your share of "turnabout is fair play." I enjoyed all of your pics. Too bad we don't see reality on the news or in the paper. Be safe when you get stateside. Truth is, cities here aren't too different from the sandbox - lots of evil here too. This ol' timer thanks you for what you did for me and mine and all the rest of us too!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have RIA with Novak like cut.
To be honest, I'd rather buy GI, as GI sight is much easier in some ways to install a new sight(as long as I invest small $$ in staking tools).

And I know I can fit extended beaver tail grip safety MUCH better than RIA does on their Tactical.

But I like to tinker with my guns...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have RIA with Novak like cut.
To be honest, I'd rather buy GI, as GI sight is much easier in some ways to install a new sight(as long as I invest small $$ in staking tools).

And I know I can fit extended beaver tail grip safety MUCH better than RIA does on their Tactical.

But I like to tinker with my guns...
Yeah I am a tinkerer and I really try not to be haha.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Yeah I am a tinkerer and I really try not to be haha.
I wasn't. But more expensive 1911's I bought, more I realize that the only way to have 1911 the way I WANT was to either pay big $$$ to some gunsmith, wait months(or years even).
Or build it yourself to way you like.

I don't feel quite comfortable enough to do a build from scratch.
So I buy cheap RIA, and tinker it to way I like.

I don't want to use gunsmith, because I hate to wait

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just bought a Rock Island 1911 A1 Compact and I really like it. Since I started shooting a PPC revolver and other "target" guns, I'm finding that I like the simpler sights. There's less distraction. Here's the first two mags at about 25 feet. Enjoy customizing and shooting your new 45 in good health.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Yes, definately run some rounds through her first! I got a RIA Goverment. It took some time to get used to it. When trying to find the sights got on my nerves too much, I did the sight thing. You may have trouble with POA/POI. There are good "wide-tennon" front sights. I got mine from Trijacon. I don't remember the number "CA10" front and rear set. I somehow poked out the first one trying to be slick. I sent the slide to them. It was about the same time of the year too.....
Here is a couple of contacts at Trijicon;
Dana Johnson | Service Coordinator Assistant
Direct Line 248-960-7700 Ext.1153 | Mobile
Fax 248-960-7725 | P.O. Box 930059
49385 Shafer Ave. | Wixom, MI 48393
[email protected] | www.trijicon.com

Jimmy Reed | Service Coordinator
Direct Line (248)960-7700 Ext.1204 | Mobile
Fax (248)960-7725 | P.O. Box 930059
49385 Shafer Ave. | Wixom, MI 48393
[email protected] | www.trijicon.com

Trijicon® Brilliant Aiming Solutions™
They could give you numbers and prices if you choose the tritium path. I love them. Easy to pick up on rapid fire, glow like little lamps in total darkness and don't need to be re-charged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts