1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi men, just wanted to add a final note on my project
i have been reading with interest on bake on finishes, from brownell's. and i was wanting something more durable than bluing",and i decided to go ahead and do it
it didnt hurt my stippling job at all, matter of fact it even enhanced it
use a daly term
anyway i smoothing out all the sharp edges that you can find on a stock 1911, and added a colt style slide stop that gave it more flavor.now i can enjoy all the benifits of my labor.i have family coming from houston this weekend and we usely spend hours and hours at the range
i appreciate all the info and support that i have recieving on this forum.
and i look forward to hearing about your daly,and projects of improvements

·
Registered
288 Posts
JB,

Kindly post a full pic this time. We'd really like to see your "new" pistol. Thanks!

A few minutes later:
Right after posting, I checked my mail and finally got the pix. Thanks JB. Nice looking pistol. BTW, what trigger did you put in and was it drop in or did you need to do some adjustments?

[This message has been edited by malmon (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
baldo what is your e-mail???
i would be more than glade to send ya' a picture or two. malmon glade you liked the picture,by the way"...that is a kings match grade adjustable trigger, it is slightly oversized. but it is easy enough to install". you'll have to completly take it apart, you'll have to file a little off the trigger top/and/bottom (trigger itself)and if it slides back and forth to the point it could fall out on its on...than your in bussiness,if after fitting the trigger through the slot and it doesnt fall out?take a candle and smoke the rails and see were it rubbing? remove any burr's ,if no burrs...lay your file flat down on a solid surfice and run your rails evenly across the flaten file/thin the rails down a hair or two,slide back into your frame and check for fit. and once you have accomplised that,reassemble your 1911. and adjust your trigger sit screw untill it just barely sit off your sear and hammer, youll still have a tiny bit of a cripp in your trigger pull,but its about close to perfect that you can get
give it a safty test,and if it fales just keep adjusting your trigger sit screw,it comes with instrutions
if you run across a problem?? just e-mail me or walking point to walk you through it. as i mention i refinished my daly and its got a rich solid look about it"....thumb safty and gripp safty was all i kept on it from the origional operating levers on the daly",THAT IS UNTILL TODAY. I WAS CHECKING OUT MY THUMB SAFTY FLIP BACK AND FORTH,,,ANYWAY THE THUMB SAFTY JUST BROKE OFF ,RIGHT AT THE STEM,TALK ABOUT POORLY CASTED(((WHILE)))AND ALL I WAS DOING WAS SIMPLY", FLIPPING IT, LIKE ANYONE ELES WOULD NORMALLY DO"> I RAN DOWN TO THE SMITH SHOP AND BOUGHT A KINGS THUMB SAFTY AND INSTALLED IT, NOW IM BACK IN BUSSINESS
ITLEAST THIS ONE CUSTOM FITTED TO MY 1911.AND IT NOT LIKELY TO EVER BREAKE,ITLEAST NOT UNDER NORMAL USE.GRIPP SAFTY ALL LEFT
i'll try to get a new picture posted soon, youll like the finish

·
Registered
75 Posts
Love to see some pictures.

How did you remove the ambi safety?

Thanks,
NetLar

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The safety comes out just like a standard one. Cock the pistol and the left side safety will come out if you use the proper "wiggle and pull" technique (watch the spring so it doesn't put an eye out - or get lost). The right side safety will then rotate past the groove in the pin and will pull straight out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used the Brownells on a Smith model 36 about 5 years ago , its still looking like new and I dont have to worry about rust or keeping it oiled except internally . A word of caution when getting ready to do this warm the gun once before applying the stuff this will force all oils to the surface then clean again with alcohol or gun scrub then let dry again then paint . I just stripped mine and painted , there was a little spot of oil that cooked up from the barrel cross pin . its the only spot not sticking now . I did a buddys 1991 in the matte finish after he got it back from a custom shop , it still looks great with only minimal holster wear on the slide front edges this stuff is hard to get off if ou screw up just let it dry and sandout a run and repaint and bake . I put some on an ruger 10/22 but did not bake it it still looks great after 5 years of heavy use .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we made it to the range, and all went well. my brothering law like it so much, when we got back to town, we went where i bought my daly, and bought himself one
he got the new EFS.SO HE CAME OUT PRETTY GOOD SENTS HE NOT THE TYPE TO WORK OR REBUILD ON A 1911. i bought 1500rounds of that armscor ammo. we used it at the range,daly ate it up like cotton candy
so i picked up a thousand rounds and got 500rounds free,they hade buy two boxs and get another box free. so i stock up
i have pictures now of my o.d.green daly", untill i can get them posted,i can e-mail them to you upon request. it turn out awsome, not to mention accurate.it hits exactly were you point it.smooth trigger pull and match bushings sure made a world of differnce. as you all know i replaced all internal parts as well as the slide stop and thumbsafty and rearsight hammer. grippsafty is the only part, that i decided not to part with. well i hope the daly forum" starts to pick up-its been kinda slow lately
[happy shooting to all]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I just dug this thread back up as I'm interested in using this product from brownells.

JAFO216 looks to have given some good advice about heating the gun and then recleaning it with alcohol.

I'd like to refinish my $50 surplus slide from Brazil, but right now I don't have a frame to put it on. I found a built Essex frame (used) for $299, but I'm having a hard time spending even that much for this particular slide. I think I'll wait for a lucky (and cheap) frame deal before taking the plunge, but could still refinish the slide in case I want to stick it back on one of my other frames.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Vega,

This is an old post made by JB around June of last year. I think he already posted the photo. Its the one with the OD Green Daly and the Brownells baked on finish spray can in the background. If you don't have it yet, I'll mail it to you. By the way, thanks for the help at the match. I really enjoyed myself! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
howdy",im glad to see this board back up and running:cool: i was wondering what happen!
update on the brownell bake on",it has held up well,still looks as good as it did in the picture:D

and you probly read my other post,in all what i did to my CD fs,
it hasnt given me no problems back when,are since than.

it has proven to be a decent and well made 1911-A1,it is in my gun safe"...talking to me as i write this:D its wanting to go to the range again.:p

well it great to see familier handle's here.

i have my own web-site,and it has proving to be a full time job.lol

but i will be back vesiting my ole'CD buddy's

JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts