1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Combat Elite - SN question

I bought one new back in the 90's and traded it off for something I can't even remember. I've regretted it ever since.

Just traded for one today and was wanting to know if someone could give me the vintage based on the serial number:

CO065xx

It has a spur hammer, solid trigger, fixed sights and no idiot mark. Looks to be in great shape.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

:D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will attempt to remedy the pic problem ASAP.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - Here ya go. Can anyone tell me the approximate year of manufacture?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Very nice. I too had an Enhanced Combat Elite that I purchased new and sold in a moment of weakness. Glad you were able to rectify your situation.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
OK - Here ya go. Can anyone tell me the approximate year of manufacture?

I can't give you any info but that is one fine looking pistol. :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't give you any info but that is one fine looking pistol. :D
I can't argue with that.

:rock:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
That is sweet looking but that's what Colt calls an Elite now,HS.If they charge extra for it she better be hand fit or close to it.What happened to the CE of 15-20yrs ago with NM style slide and I guess you'd say the pre enhanced package?The early ones got my panties in a knot (No,don't start,I don't wear any unless the OL makes me model them for her)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So there is not a Combat Elite Rollmark on the other side of the slide in the picture?
Yes, on the other side of the slide it is roll-marked "Combat Elite".

This is not a new production gun. This is an 80's or 90's gun.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have one in blue. But mine says gov model on the other side. I think colt just changed roll marks for marketing. Unless your gun has special stuff?

Mine is very nice and I think yours is as well. They are great base guns or keep them as is. Your choice. mine is as is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am confused by what you describe as the serial number. All Combat Elites, as far as I know (I've had three, and seen a great many more) have a "CG" prefix. The "CG" prefix, is shared as well with the fore-runner to the Combat Elite, the earlier Combat Government (middle 80's). Are you sure the serial number prefix is "CO"? If it is, I believe that can't be an original Combat Elite. However, the gun, except for the grips, appears to be a Combat Elite, of the first type originally made in the late 80's.

I once had a Combat Elite, CG045XX, which was the first one I ever saw, and I bought it! Sadly, the pistol was stolen from me in 1999, but I remember it well, as it was my favorite 1911! This piece had silver "150th year" medallions in the wrap-around rubber grips, which makes it a 1986 manufacture. All of the Combat Elites from that era had wrap-around rubber grips. Which leads me to suspect those grips on yours aren't original. In fact, I took the wrap-arounds off of mine, and put black wood grips with silver medallions on mine for awhile, but put the original "150th year" grips back on shortly before it was stolen. :bawling:

To cut to the chase here, I believe my Combat Elite to be one of the very first out of the factory, as it had a different style of rubber grips than any other I've ever seen. Every other Combat Elite I've seen from this era had "pebbleized" rubber grips. Mine had an early checkered Pachmayr style grip, which was a "pre-production" grip. They all were of the "wrap-around" style tho. It also had a "NM" barrel in it, which I've never seen another like it.

So, I don't know how many "Combat Government" models were manufactured with the "CG" prefix, or where the "Combat Elite" models started with the "CG" serializing, but since mine was obviously of 1986 manufacture, yours must be either 1986 or 1987, my guess is 1986! Whew! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pistol finally came in today and the serial number is CG055xx.

When I originally posted the SN it was based on the photograph from the seller which I obviously couldn't see well enough, hence the mistake in my original post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts