1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been over a year since I last logged into the site, specifically since I sold my last 1911. I quit the gunstore I was working at to get into security and all of my guns that didn't have a real purpose went the way of my 1911.

With all the BS laws that California has pushed in the last few years, my chances for getting the guns I want are slowly dwindling away with time and I decided to evaluate my collection. Obviously, missing a 1911, made me decide to post up my Beretta m9a1 For trade on another forum and lo and behold, I got a taker. I traded off my Beretta for a two tone Rock island Armory with a nickel frame a parked slide. Just as I did with the llama I used to have, I decided to buy a GI type gun to modify as a project and use as my primary duty weapon for executive protection and uniformed security.

I am still on my 10 day wait. I'll have the rock in my hands on Thursday. I don't think I am going to sleep til then. I already ordered a drop in beavertail to avoid filing the nickel frame, but if the gap is really terrible, I will just go ahead and buy a fitted beavertail and jig to start the process off.

Next up I will be sending off the slide to get dovetailed and cut for Novak rears and then get it cerakoted black. I am also going to install a Smith & Alexander magwell and for sure a flat trigger. I already have a wilson skeletonized hammer but I want to get a commander style hammer that just has the little hole instead of being completely cut out. I do not need to do anything with the trigger. I compared the pull to a nighthawk and I got the biggest suprize of my life. The rock I'm buying has a cleaner break than the nighthawk I compared it to. The rock is defiantly a bit heavier, but the pull was amazing and it had never even seen a gunsmith. Depending on how it shoots, I may also replace the barrel and bushing.

I was also able to buy 4 used chip mccormic mags for less than 40 bucks from a shop near the one I did the transfer at. I also got 250 rounds of fmj's for free from the seller which was a nice bonus.

Now I do have one big question...

If the drop in wilson beavertail I just bought has an unsightly gap, I was thinking about buying the American tactical beavertail that RIA puts on their tactical models and fitting the beavertail to the frame itself rather than filing the frame. In theory, would this be a waste of should I just give it a go anyways since the beavertail is so cheap from American tactical

·
Registered
309 Posts
Everything I have ever read indicates you fit the least expensive part, and NEVER go grinding or filing on the frame unless you're a qualified gunsmith. Just my 2 cents.......

·
Registered
834 Posts
Why all the modifications ? Armscors are good shooters not safe Queens. IMHO it doesn't do any good to put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do executive protection and uniformed security and if the RIA proves reliable, it will be my new duty gun. Hence why I'm modding it to my liking. I like my 1911's a certain way if they are going to be more than just range guns.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Next up I will be sending off the slide to get dovetailed and cut for Novak rears and then get it cerakoted black.

If the drop in wilson beavertail I just bought has an unsightly gap, I was thinking about buying the American tactical beavertail that RIA puts on their tactical models and fitting the beavertail to the frame itself rather than filing the frame. In theory, would this be a waste of should I just give it a go anyways since the beavertail is so cheap from American tactical

if you're going to have it cerakoted, I wouldn't pi55 around with a drop-in.
Buy a 250 radius jig and fit a proper BT

don't know what tools you have (you really don't need many)
and contingent on your aptitude or skills, it may or may not be beyond your ability

But it's not tremendously difficult for the average detail oriented DIY'er to fit and blend a grip safety that will look as good as the BT on any affordable production 1911

what it takes is lots of time (GO SLOW) with files and sand paper
and always remember, you can take more metal off if/when needed...but you can't put it back on if you over cut

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this thread will show you some of what's involved with fitting and blending proper beavertail

This is how a backyard wannabe armorer does it

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=496549

if you want to see how a top tier pro does it, look for the sticky in the gunsmithing section

..L.T.A.
I actually have too many admirers certifications to begin to list them... Lol. But I have blended fitted beavertail a few times with good results. Never on a nickel or chrome plated frame though... That being said I plan to just use the good old dykem and go by trial and error until the beavertail fits how I want it.

I also just ordered a fusion firearms magwell for the 1911... My god I don't even have the firearm in my possesion yet and I can't stop buting crap for it...

I love Amazon...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
But I have blended fitted beavertail a few times with good results. Never on a nickel or chrome plated frame though..

I may be showing my ignorance, but what's that matter if you're going to paint it anyway??

Or are you not painting the frame and just c'kote on the slide??

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just cerakoting the slide and leaving the frame nickel. I want to leave it looking like the terminator 2 1911... Lol
This is going to be my flashy purpose built duty gun.

Here is the list of parts I have bought for the gun thus far:
Fusion chain link mainspring magwell
Wilson drop in GI beavertail
Wilson extended safety and slide release
Wilson skeletonised hammer
Gallo cop 3 slot holster with thumb break
All black vz alien magwell cut grips

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
pix of my new 2 tone RIA

Just got some pictures from the guy who traded me the rock:

This gun had way less finish wear on it than the Beretta m9a1 I traded for it. The coating was completely chipping off the slide at the business end. This only has a minor amount of holster wear on the corners of the slide. Not bad.

Granted the price for a new Beretta is higher than for a rock island, I still feel like I got the better deal. 1911's are my favorite firearms and just having one again makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

1 - 12 of 12 Posts