1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new here on this site so pardon my 'noobdom'. My first 1911 is a springfield which I bought recently. But to futher edjucate me, why do you's prefer and stick to S&W's. I truelly would like to know...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't want this to sound like a Ford vs. Chevy thing, but here goes. I've owned two Springfield 1911's. I now own a S&W. The S&W, overall, is considerably superior to the SA's in fit, finish, accuracy, and reliability. Now, before I'm strung up, let me say that my two SA's were Mil-Specs. My S&W cost considerably more and is tricked out with more goodies. I wouldn't necessarily hesitate to buy another SA, but the two I had were poorly finished in a number of areas. Even though they were lower end models, I don't think sloppy, shoddy finishes should be allowed. For me the difference is in quality control. My personal experience is that the quality control nod goes to S&W.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
for me it comes down to personal preference in what i like in a 1911, but having said that i must also let you know i prefer both my S A's and my S&W.

i have two loaded S A's and one S&W basic stainless. all are fine quality guns and each is very accurate. the "Loaded" S A's, and also their higher end guns, are much closer to S&W in quality from than level on up. i can't speak for the high end guns of either S A or S&W, but i am getting an SA TRP in stainless shortly.

S&W got the external extractor thing worked out just fine and my S A's run with a good internal extractor.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
145 Posts
For me I got a S&W because of the scandium framed commander. Also for the price in my humble opinion I dont think there is better bang for your buck out there.

Have Kimber, SA, Colt, Norinco, and would want to get more of either of the above brands. Right now I keep eyeing a S&W DK, but since I am back in school it will be a couple years before I am able to add another to the herd. Dunno what it is about 1911s and .22lr rifles that just put a smile on my face. Nothin better for me that is, except maybe adding a Springer M1A1 in .308 mmmm.

·
Registered
497 Posts
For me it would be the quality of the 45. Second is it shoots to piont of aim. It feels diferent in the hand than my other 45's. My one friend Mike says it just sits right in his hand. Now he wants to buy one. I am saving up for a Sc in comander style from S&W.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
S&W's lifetime service policy is awesome. They will take care of any problems that arise and you won't even have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Springfield

I have a couple of Springfield (Armory... also a Springfield Arsenal) and they shoot well...but they took about as much money to make them guns I will carry as I paid for the gun new.

My Springfield Armory guns also had VERY sharp edges that had to be melted.

The S&W can be carried as it comes from the box...

FWIW

Chuck

jimijames said:
I'm very new here on this site so pardon my 'noobdom'. My first 1911 is a springfield which I bought recently. But to futher edjucate me, why do you's prefer and stick to S&W's. I truelly would like to know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts