1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Are these guns good quality? As in compared to a RIA, Armscor, Springfield GI
etc.
Their good quality pistols from what I am hearing now. I don't know about their customer/warranty service as compared to Armscor(RIA and Citadel) or SA. I own a SA, RIA commander and Citadel fullsize and they are all excellent pistols. Personally I think Armscor is the better deal money wise and I know 1st hand their CS is awesome. MY SA is very good also but find myself not shooting it as much anymore. Must be I like the simpler series 70 style 1911 that Armscor produces.

Best bet is to find someone that actually has a newer auto ordanance 1911 and get the straight scoop. You'll find some here who will tell you something without knowing what their talking about. In the Army we called it talking out of their 4th point of contact.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Dive, SA is series 70. If you mean by looks, then the GI and Ria look identical, just the SA is a forged frame/slide.
Yes, I am well aware of that. MY SA is a XD45, hence the comment of I prefer the simpler series 70 style 1911 RIA when I compare it to my striker fired polymer framed XD45. BTW, I have shot my buddies SA 1911 and found it to be a fine pistol but no better than either of my Armscor made made 1911's in reliability or accuracy.

The next time you want to be so quick to correct someone, make sure your on the same sheet of music as the poster. If not then you assuming and only making an a** out of yourself.

As far as forged vs cast argument, that is all it is. The vast majority of shooters will never put enough rounds through their weapon to ever be able to objectively tell a differance in either wear or function. To argue it is like listening to the ford vs chevy debate. It's a matter of personal preference for the average civilian shooter.

Good day,

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Dive... no need to get all bent out of shape man... how was I supposed to know it is an XD? You only said SA, and it is a 1911 site.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Dive... no need to get all bent out of shape man... how was I supposed to know it is an XD? You only said SA, and it is a 1911 site.
Not bent, stating fact. If you have a issue with that then PM me, this has strayed far enough from the original posters question as it is. As far as this site is concerned MANY different models of firearms are discussed here, so whatever you assume is on you, not the forum.

Good Day,

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've come to absolutely LOVE my Kahr AO WWII repro. It's one of the newer specimens built in 2008 with the cutout on the barrel hood that serves as a loaded chamber indicator. The factory mag was crappy, but since I've got a ton of Colt mags, I didn't mind tossing that one into the crash. This gun can feed virtually anything. If I had one complaint, it did come with an extractor that kept losing it's tune over time, but a quick swap out with an extractor from Cylinder&Slide solved that problem. It's been chirping along at 100% ever since. Next to my Colt Gold Cup, this is one of the most reliable 1911s I've ever owned. It's my home defense gun at the moment.

Take this with a grain of salt, but the distributor/gun dealer I bought this from told me that the frames are actually casted by Ruger. I can't prove it of course, but what I can say is that it's one of best frames I've seen on what is essentially a service pistol. Very high quality.

Check the Range Review section of the forum and do a search for the Auto-Ordnance. I did a write up about it when I first got it last year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Kahr made Auto-O. Short answer is that I like it. It runs like a top. I bought it to tinker on and not worry about scratches or dings. It isn’t a show piece, but it always works when asked.

A couple of thoughts about them:

1. They are an “off-brand” to some. If you live or die on other people’s opinions, then they may not be the gun for you.

2. Mine likes to be dripping oil. If you think you have over-oiled it, then you need to add more oil to it. Seriously, think Superfund sites and Oil Tanker Spills and you get the picture.

3. Ditch the stock mag. I don’t care what you do with it – give it to someone you don’t like, throw it in the trash or put a nice, fat .45 cal hole through it – but get rid of it. Spend a little and get some good mags. Mine likes CMC shooting star and power mags.

4. Mine had plenty of casting marks and rough edges internally. If you get one, you may or may not want to spend a little time polishing/sanding/stoning a bit. I’m not saying you will have to – I’m just suggesting that you shouldn't think a 1911 at this price point is a high end semi-custom.

5. Which leads me to this – It is a good gun at the price point. If your expectations are that a cheap 1911 is going to compete on even terms with a 1911 costing twice as much, well, avoid this, save up and move on. If however, you are looking for a 1911 on a budget, aren’t afraid to use a little elbow grease and determination on it if needed, and have reasonable expectations, well then it’s fine addition to the maybe list.

As always – your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
My new kahr auto ordnance ww2 copy 1911a1 is awesome so far. Its the very first brand new 1911 to function right out of the box. I wish i had gotten my second one when they were just $389. I just may get another one at the higher price to play with. :rock: My orginal mag works awesome too.

Right now my AO cost me $389, plus a 18# recoil spring $10, a full wrap around rubber grips $8 and a full length guide rod kit $9 thats it. Its been flawless for well over 500rds now too. I just lubed it with a little moly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like someone urinated in dives cheerios..... :biglaugh:

p.s. just a joke dive, take a valium.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Sounds like someone urinated in dives cheerios..... :biglaugh:

p.s. just a joke dive, take a valium.
:biglaugh::biglaugh: Nope, just not a fan of some of the "experts" here who find snide ways to brand bash or get their jollies out of correcting folks, especially the one I was responding to.

Regards,

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Not an expert nor did I brand bash, your post eluded to a S.A. was not a Series 70, plus he was asking about 1911's not your XD.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Not an expert nor did I brand bash, your post eluded to a S.A. was not a Series 70, plus he was asking about 1911's not your XD.
Whatever slick:barf:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am planning on buying an AO soon. I've read reviews on them and people seem to like them. With the parkerized finish, scratches and fingerprints don't affect the gun as much, so it could be a nice "under-the-driver's-seat" pistol.

Those GI's have some seriously cool grips on them, they have that going for them. I went for some customs myself. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think this will be my first 1911. Massholes don't have a lot of choices
in inexpensive guns.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I think this will be my first 1911. Massholes don't have a lot of choices
in inexpensive guns.
I'm surprised that someone in our country manufactured a new 1911a1 that functions properly right out of the box. And there right here in Mass. too. I emailed them already about there awesome ww2 copy 1911a1. I wanted a shooter beater no frills 1911 and i found the new AO is much better than that.:rock:

I still have NIB springer that stove pipes one round per mag since the 90's. Its really purdy in black park otherwise it would of been gone already.

Never judge a 1911 buy the manufacturer nor the price because life is like a box of chocolates you never know until you buy it ad shoot it.:rock:

Isn't the AO 1911a1 frame casted 4140 steel? Thats a good quality steel. I lube it with moly and shouldn't see any wear at all time will tell just how good they are i'm sure but for right now its a great buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had one. Bought it for wife, she picked it out after much looking and comparison shooting. Jammed right out of the box....OK try breaking in....500 rounds, various ammo. Still jamming.....back to AO for check out.....retuned the extractor (plus the front sight was loose, that fact was stated on the problem sheet sent to Kahr/AO.....came back loose, they never touched it).

Got it back, decent time for turn around. Started shooting again....jamming like before after less than 250 rounds....so I either learn to tune the extractor, put in a new/better one, or send back to the factory...again..... I don't want to work/replace parts on a basically new pistol (that all of the work I sent it back to the factory for in the first place wasn't done ) .

Got a good trade for a RIA Tactical and haven't regretted getting rid of it one bit. I know some guys have had good luck, but I didn't.

I wasn't one of the lucky ones.......

It was accurate,when it ran........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts