1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife even let me buy it! I took it to the range and put 50 rounds through it. I really need to buy some reloading supplies so I can shoot some more.

The pistol comes in a little black plastic box with a felt cut out for the pistol, and the included spare magazine. There is the obligatory test-fire shell casing, manual, product cataloge brochure, and warranty card. Magazine capacity is 6.

Anyway, what a nice little pistol. it is very light, and very small. It is shorter than a G32 length wise, but about 1/4" taller. They are about the same thickness in the slide, but the P45s handle is thinner. It is aggressively checkered on the front and back strap. This is good because recoil is noticeable and the checkeing helps it stay seated in your hand.

The trigger is nice and smooth. The length is longer than a glock's pull, but shorter than a true DA pull, and much lighter. Break is clean with no stacking. Accuraccy was great for a short barrel pistol. I had no problem keeping respectable groups (for me anyway) all the way out to 15yds. Didn't try 25. I couldn't quite keep the group close shooting fast though. Recoil, while not terrible, was snappy enough that split times had to increase to get back on target. This may get better with practice - it was my first outing with the pistol.

Sights are Sig-like dot over box. I hope to get some of those Big Dot sights for this thing. I think it is the perfect application for them, since long range accuracy isn't in the job description for a pistol like this anyway.

In the 50 rounds there were no malfunctions.

Take down is 1911 like, but there is one thing I don't like. The slide stop pin, which is the only control on the entire pistol, has to be started out with some kind of strike. I had to grasp under the trigger guard and hold the slide at the take down notch with one hand, and use the plastic end of my gunsmith hammer to get it started. Then I could pull it out by hand. I talked to the guy at the gun shop, who owns ever 9mm Kahr made, and he said it does get easier with time. We'll see.

All in all, I love it. It'll be a great carry piece, once I live somewhere were I can actually carry. Now all I need to do is sit back and wait for someone to start selling an IWB holster for this thing, and track down a few more magazines.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Kahr P40...

and I love it. My range experience is similar to yours and I feel it is probably one of the best CARRY pistols made IMO.

I had looked at the mini glock and the millenium b/f deciding to pay a little more and go with the kahr. I have NEVER regreted it. I like the trigger pull and I like the handle of the weapon.

The only bad thing is I caught the 1911 bug a few months ago so my P40 has been shelved. It is Pro Carry or bust right now:rock:

·
Registered
948 Posts
jedibrain said:
The slide stop pin, which is the only control on the entire pistol, has to be started out with some kind of strike. I had to grasp under the trigger guard and hold the slide at the take down notch with one hand, and use the plastic end of my gunsmith hammer to get it started. Then I could pull it out by hand. I talked to the guy at the gun shop, who owns ever 9mm Kahr made, and he said it does get easier with time.
Same thing with the (broken) PM40 I bought, and same with the PM9 I'm going to pick up tonight to replace it.

When I confirm that the pistol works I'm going to take some emery cloth to it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
halvey said:
Nice review!

By any chance how is the recoil of the P45 to the PM9?
Sorry, can't help you there. Never fired any other Kahr. I can't imagine a 9mm of any size generating quite the recoil of a 45 though.

Xori,

Let me know how that emery cloth works. I might try that myself.

Brass Balls,

Thanks for the link. I've got a sign-in over there, but I haven't been in a while. I'll check it out and hopefully find something.

Glad you guys liked the review. I had fun doing the field work for it!

Brian

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kahr P45

Brian, hold off on the emery cloth for now. The slide stop pin on my P9 did indeed get easier to remove after several disassembly/reassembly cycles, to the point where it now comes out without tools.

I carry the P9 in a Sparks VM-2. Eric at HBE Leatherworks also makes suitable, high-quality IWB holsters, as I'm sure do many of the reputable makers listed at the "View our extensive holster list here!" link at the top of this forum's link page.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Slapshot said:
Brian, hold off on the emery cloth for now. The slide stop pin on my P9 did indeed get easier to remove after several disassembly/reassembly cycles, to the point where it now comes out without tools.

Slapshot is right, it does get somewhat easier after a few cycles, but in my experience it never gets really easy. My old P9 got easier, but never easy enough that it didn't need a little bump with something to get it started. My newer PM9 has not loosened up much yet. I was told by one of Kahr's reps that the tightness was intentional, so that the slide stop would not get loose enough to back itself out from recoil, or loose enough to be accidentally pushed out while holstered or in handling.

As to the recoil issue, the 9mm is very controllable with standard 9mm loads, but does recoil noticeably more with +P or +P+ loads. The recoil is still less sharp than the .40s, so I imagine the .45 recoil will be somewhat stouter than the 9mm.

·
Registered
948 Posts
NC Cop said:
I was told by one of Kahr's reps that the tightness was intentional, so that the slide stop would not get loose enough to back itself out from recoil, or loose enough to be accidentally pushed out while holstered or in handling.
I was told the same thing as well.

However, the spring the is adjacent to the slide stop hole should hold the slide stop lever in place. Look at the slide stop pin right next to the lever, you will see that a depression is present there where that spring will grasp the pin.

My PM9's slide stop hasn't loosened up any in around 700 rounds. The action has, of course...

·
Registered
204 Posts
K9 and PM9

The K9 was my first carry gun. Excellent size, fit and function and a pleasure to shoot. I use both the Mitch Rosen IWB clip and belt holster available from the Kahr web site.

I knew I couldn't resist the PM9 too long. I finally picked one up, but had to send the barrel to Kahr for exchange (it had a nasty gouge in the crown which I missed at the shop). I got it to the range last weekend and it was great. It felt a bit top heavy at first (my first polymer frame gun), but I started to get used to it. Comfortable and easy to shoot (Black Hills Reman. FMJ), although my shooting partner told me it was loud! I second the comment about the smooth trigger.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a K40 once very nice gun easy to cary managable to shoot and well made. I sold it because I need money and it was expensive to shoot. My k40 did not like to shoot reloades. I never had a problem with factory amo but it would not feed reload for... well you get the Idea.

I thought maybe it was just me so I tried some other peoples reloads, even some factory reloads. Always seemed to have a least 1 ftf per mag.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
406 Posts
jedibrain said:
The slide stop pin, which is the only control on the entire pistol, has to be started out with some kind of strike.
Another thing you might try is to push out the pin using the plastic handle of an old toothbrush. This is how I remove the tight slide stop pins on my PM9 and P9.

best regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question

I know this is an old thread but, I have recently bought a P 45 and sometimes when unchambering a round, the round will get stuck between the edge of the chamber and the extracter and in some cases it will still be in the extracter. Is this something I'm doing, or an ongoing problem I can look forward too? Any response would be appreciated...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.