1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering this pistol as a CCW piece for my wife. A few questions:

-Does this pistol have a full size grip? (meaning does your pinkie hang off the end). It looks full size from the pics.
-How does the trigger feel? Anything like a glock?
-I believe i heard some models come with an upgraded trigger. What is the story on that?
-I realize this is intended as a CCW gun, not a range gun. Still, my expectation is that this gun would have a service life of many thousands of rounds. Fair assumption?
-What would be a fair price? I've seen $500 and up for a new one on various auction sites.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by spookyspiff:

-Does this pistol have a full size grip? (meaning does your pinkie hang off the end). It looks full size from the pics.

Full length, not full size. The length is fine for large hands (pinkie does not hang off), but the grip circumference is kind of small. I have large hands but it still works great for me. People with small hands also get a much better grip than a glock.

-How does the trigger feel? Anything like a glock?

It is a DAO gun like a Glock, but the trigger is much smoother and more consistent thru the pull. It does not have the trigger safety in the middle of the trigger like a Glock that annoys some people.

-I believe i heard some models come with an upgraded trigger. What is the story on that?

The Elite series guns have a smoother trigger.

-I realize this is intended as a CCW gun, not a range gun. Still, my expectation is that this gun would have a service life of many thousands of rounds. Fair assumption?

It will have an excellent long service life. It is also a great range gun. The accuracy will surpise you.

For CCW you may want to add the night sights.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The grip is full size but very narrow, and while your little finger is supported, the grip is much shorter than on a 1911.

The trigger is truly like a fairly good DA revolver trigger, long and smooth, not like a Glock (short and a bit spongy).

The "Elite" trigger, AFAIK, is not available with the P series Kahrs, but the trigger on my P9 is perfectly acceptable for a gun of this type.
Try before you buy!

It seems durable enough, perhaps less so than a Glock, but the one I have has had no trouble at all, though admittedly it's only been shot about 500 rounds.

From Sportsman's Warehouse, mine was $450.

Best.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The grip is full size but very narrow
You can say that again. I have a P9 and it's a perfect little CCW gun. It practically disappears on your side.

I held it for all of 2 minutes and bought it. The trigger is smooth albeit long, but it is the most underrated gun I've bought.

The early P9's had some issues with the trigger pin working it's way out, but Kahr has fixed that in the later model guns. I've put at least 2,000 reloads through mine and it hasn't moved a bit.

Standard velocity ammo is totally controllable and enjoyable to shoot. +P is a little strong, as the backstrap of the grip is so thin, it imparts a lot of that recoil into a smaller part of your hand.

A word of warning, I bought the Trijicon night sights aftermarket from the Kahr website and the dovetails on the sights didn't match the dovetail angle on the slide. My gunsmith went through some trouble getting them to fit...if you think you might want night sights later on down the road, order the gun with them on there.

Other than ther, it's a great little gun. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but try before you buy is always a good idea.

esheato...

·
Registered
39 Posts
P9 Mini Review

I was actually shooting my P9 earlier today and put 100 rounds through it. It's a great carry gun & the one that i bring w/ me the most often. It works especially great when wearing sweats as it is so light i can clip it IWB w/ no belt. Very thin gun that is easy to conceal w/ minimal cover.

The grip size probably depends on the size of your wife's hands. For me the gun works great but i added a fingered rubber grip to offset the shifting it did in my hand from the recoil. This was most noticeable during rapid fire.

As far as the trigger: I find it much better than the trigger on my G30 & G26. I believe that the P9 comes standard w/ the Elite trigger and that is why it is not available as an add on. The steel models have two trigger options. I have shot both Kahr triggers and they are both acceptable and i prefer either version to the glock.

As to your question about its versatility as a CCW & range gun, i find it great for both. I think for extended shooting it's better to have some type of added grip. The smooth plastic grip will move around from recoil. I found that i would get abrasions on the web between my thumb & index finger before i added the grip. A-Grip also makes a grip for the P9 but it looked a little too fuzzy for me.

I've put a lot of rounds through it over the last two years without any problems. It has never had a malfunction. This month i conducted an inadvertent torture test and put about 500 rounds through it w/out cleaning it. Not my typical care of a weapon but circumstances got in the way of cleaning between uses & i was kinda curious to see how well it would perform.

Regarding Price: I did a lot of reading/research and then did a lot of shopping for my Kahr. I was very patient and picked mine up used for $325 w/ night sites. It was in the case at a gun store before MN had its CCW passed so i think that impacted the supply/demand. It was apparent that the previous owner had not shot it much. The salesman said that people were not familiar w/ Kahr and he couldn't get rid of them & was going to quit stocking them. I remained relaxed and acted appropriately reluctant and we agreed upon the price. In the end i think we were very happy w/ the transaction.

On a side note: The above is my review on the P9. I think it's the ultimate ccw gun. My wife on the other hand wouldn't give up her Glock 26. My advice to you is to have your wife shoot both and have her select the one she likes.

I hope this answered some of your questions.

Blombo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Attempting to add a pic

I'm going to use your post as an excuse to try out my digital camera & to see if i can post a few pics.

Here is my P9 in it's holster (Hopefully):

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Accuracy

I took this off my target board to give you an idea of the accuracy.

I was basically screwing around and shot this one at about 21 feet. I was using two hands and fairly rapid fire. I didn't have too many targets w/ me so i'm not sure how many rounds went in to this one. I'm not a great shot, but you can see that it is plenty good for combat accuracy.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck w/ your quest and let us know what happens.

Blombo

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the idea of the P-9 Kahr myself,but have been put off by some owners complaining of problems with the frame rails deforming or bowing in/out.I had heard Kahr made steps to improve this.....anyone here have such experience with their polymer Kahrs?:confused:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice pic. What holster is that with yours?
Thank you. It's an Alessi Belt Slide from the Kahr website. I can't say enough good things about Alessi leather. Then again, neither can anyone else on this board. ;)

esheato...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey alarmguy,

The holster is a Bianchi International.

It works well and is more comfortable against the skin compare to my Kydex Shirt Tucker. The shirt tucker is also good but not as nice w/ out a t-shirt between it and my body.

Blombo

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a PM9 which is the little brother (sister?) to the P9 and have absolutely no problem shooting +P ammo. The polymer seems to absorb a lot of the recoil and I assume the larger P9 would be even more comfortable to shoot.

A word on the trigger: It is not a "true" double action only pistol. When you load the chamber ie rack the slide, it partially cockes the gun. The trigger pull finishes the job. If the gun misfires, you have to recock the gun to get another trigger pull. It makes the trigger much easier and generally shorter travel than true DA only guns.

I REALLY like the Alessi belt slide for this gun. I also use a Sherrick pocket holster when I don't have a cover shirt, but the P9 might be a little too large to do the pocket thing...

H

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree 100% with bigboyhfs' statement. I bought the KAHR PM9 a month ago and it's a great little "Pocket Rocket!" It's super eay to conceal and ultralight weight ---- weighing in at a slender 15.9 ounces -- less than 1 pound -- fully loaded.

Prior to purchasing I test fired the entire KAHR line at my range before choosing the PM9. I was initially opposed to pocket guns after many years in Law Enforcement all of my firearms were standard size carry. KAHR made a believer of me.

The Owners Manual emphasizes " Quality Factory Ammo Only." Absolutely no reloads. The break-in period is 200 rounds. KAHR suggests after the break-in to test 100 rounds of the intended carry ammo or if you've already did this and plan to change ammo fire 100 rounds of the ammo you're switching to to insure there aren't any problems. I use SPEER Gold Dot 124 grain JHP +P ammo. I've fired more than 700 rounds without any problems. KAHR indicates CORBON +P ammo may be used in any of their firearms including the PM9. I fired over 100 rounds without incident. I carefully inspected the gun while I broke it down to clean. There were no signs of "peening" on the slide as some owners reported. I asuspect many owners aren't used quality factory ammo as KAHR requires. To date the PM9 fires flawlessy! I have complete confidence in this tiny dynamo.

It took a bit of adjusting to the grip. I've always handled Mid-Full sized guns. The transition was easy and painless. I prefer the extended magazine when firing at the range. It helps my accuracy when firing at 20+ yards. The shot groups were impressive I shot 3 consecutive 4 shot groups coming in at 1 1/8" at 20 yards. I thought this to be extremely accurate for it's size. I don't have night sights just the basic dot sight.

Holsters are not yet plentiful. KAHR indicates holsters fitting the MK9 which has the same dimensions including the 3" barrel will fit the PM9. I ordered a Mernickle Custom Extreme Paddle with an attached mag pouch. I'll probably get it within another five weeks. I currently use a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster and DeSantis belt slide for the PM9 both holster fit well and are made for the MK9 so I guess KAHR is right about both fitting the same holsters. As soon as the Mernickle Paddle arrives I'll post a picture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts