1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just know that i'm more likely than not going to get flame broiled for this post, since it's not directly realated to a 1911, just please, if yall do, make sure to get both sides
I was looking at Kahrs web site tonight, particulary at their K40 pistol, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them, or know where to get a (fairly cheap) used one at? Thanks everyone

------------------
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get
yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days
is to go about repeating the very phrases which our
founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

[This message has been edited by New 1911 Addict (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have had a stainless K-40 for a little over a year. It is a very reliable and compact pistol. I am very happy with the fit, finish, and function of this gun. Don't know what the going price on the used market is for these guns.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wouldn't have a Kahr unless the price was a steal. Only then would I own it long enough to resell it at a profit. But that's just me. Some people love 'em.

Callahan

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've had a K40 with their Electroless Nickel finish and Trijicon night sights for several years. It's an excellent gun. Totally reliable and very accurate, especially for it's size. Very well made gun.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Kahr Pistol's... As I have stated before, they are hard to beat.

The Kahr is an excellent design, and without a doubt, they are among the most compact full power handguns available.

I have owned my Kahr Polymer for over a year, and it has become my "American Express", Never leave home without it!

Nothing I have can compare to it, the size, the weight, the ease of shooting, it just provides me Peace of Mind. I had once considered the 9mm insufficient for my use. That has changed. I have all the faith, and confidence in it, with the right load.

I prefer the 9mm Kahr to the 40 for one simple reason, it's much easier to shoot well, and provides an addition round. The Steel Kahr's are certainly easier to handle in recoil, and for the 40's, they handle quite well, but I prefer the Polymer, and the 9mm is perfect. The Polymer is so light, you forget it's there, it just disappears.

They will take some time getting use to shooting, as the trigger differs from many other designs, though they are easy to become proficient with, quickly...

If you do decide to give them a try, do consider the Polymer's, and for the Ultimate in CCW use, the Covert's are definately worth consideration.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Their P9 has been tempting me for a while now. I'm afraid if I buy one I won't want to shoot my K40 anymore and that is too nice a gun to shrug aside.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Can't help with the K40, but my K9 SS Elite '98 has been flawless since day one. Very nice gun!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
P9, outstanding little gun!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Administrator
74,398 Posts
The P9 is their best pistol, IMHO. Super light, super concealable. It is better than the .40 version because recoil is more manageable and it hold an additional round. The only thing I have done to mine is add a rubber grip sleeve onto it, as the factory grip is actually a bit TOO skinny.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a Kahr MK40, but I recently sold it. Why? While it was a good little pistol, accurate and, given its size, easy to shoot, I found myself leaving it at home because of its weight. If I had carried it in some type of holster, instead of in a Thunderware contraption, things might have been different.

I'm sure I'll probably kick myself for selling it later, but I couldn't see keeping it if I wasn't using it. At least I put the money to good use though, I used it to help pay for a Springfield Armory M1A.
DAL

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a K-9 Elite. I love this little gun, easy to conceal and it eats everything that I feed it. Also, very accurate and easy to shoot. Sam

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jaydee,what loads do you use.I've been checking these out as part of my search for an carry all peice.I love the polymer,just wished they made it in the chopped version(very small,.380 size) ;0)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well I have to say no to the Kahr. I know that it is a very nice pistol but untill it changes hands of ownership I will not purchase it.

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by byron2112:
Jaydee,what loads do you use.I've been checking these out as part of my search for an carry all peice.I love the polymer,just wished they made it in the chopped version(very small,.380 size) ;0)
Typically, I shoot 115 Ball, but have tested my Defense/Carry loads. They started with 147 gr Winchester Rangers, then switched to 115 HydraShok (BP9's) standard, and +P, and currently 124 HydraShok +P+'s (BP9LE's).

I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of Plus loads in the Poly's, but the +P+'s will run, and give me the comfort I need for the 9mm.

They are a bit "Sharp" when fired in the light Polymer, and a little nicer in a Steel "K". I know that the BP9LE's have the best success rate for the 9mm, and that's why I went with it.

Disclaimer ~ I assume NO LIABILTY for damages in any gun, from the use of +P+ loads in ANY ONE'S guns. You must determine if it is safe for you situation, and decide from there, YMMV.

I am planning on switching most of my Defense loads to Federal's EFMJ, and the 9mm will be the first. I think it will be easier on the gun, and me, and still provide reasonable results.

DSK, I am surpised that you haven't modified your Slide release yet... That was the first thing to happen with mine.

Bryon, the do make a Chopped version in Polymer, it's the Covert. The barrel is a little longer, but worn IWB, that does matter, and makes it much easier to shoot well. I'd imagine that they will be offering an MK variant soon enough.

Lupey, while you may not agree with the Religious background of the Founder, one thing is certain, they are an American Gun company, and as such, they deserve our support. I'd rather support an American gun maker, than a foriegn one, and in this case, they have a great product.

You figure NAA is owned by Mormon's, and Quakers probably had a role in other company's early on... I can get past the Religious aspects, Politic's on the hand, like the Former S&W, I can't.

DAL, the weight of the K and MK kept me away from the Kahr's, and now, the weight of the Kahr keeps me away from my LWT Commander 90% of the time... 1 pound difference, loaded makes a BIG difference, for me.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's not that I don't disagree with the religous founder, I absolutely dread the man. Being born and raised in the town that he and his cult almost destroyed, I know first hand of his affects. I know of numerous kids that he has destroyed with his so called "religion". I know of numerous people he has swindled out of every bit of their hard earned money and left them devastated, broke, and suicidal. So it goes a little deeper than just disagreement.

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
77 Posts
I currently live in Ohio....I own and shoot numerous different handguns. The most pleasurable to shoot are 1911's HANDS DOWN! I love the triggers, the feel, everything about them. With no chance to carry any of them!
Now if I lived in a state where I could legally carry, I would focus 95% of my training and range time with my K9. No question it would be my carry gun.
You may say, why not just carry a 1911 style gun?...I've carried duty size weapons open and concealed when I was serving Uncle Sam. I just prefer a smaller gun.
My Kahr shoots well, low recoil, good double tap - even though I'm not totally nuts about DAO.
If you are intrigued, rent one and see how she shoots.

[This message has been edited by Rob Orlando (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
318 Posts
K40 is the best option right now for a hard-hitting caliber in the smallest package. The full K40 has the more comfortable grip. The Elite 98 version has the best trigger. used ones have gone for around $400-$475. They are great guns. People usually regret selling them, because they are long on the waiting lists at some parts of the country. Yes, they are heavy, but still much thinner and lighter than teh Colt Officers or Defenders. In fact, I can carry 3 K40s cofortably any day: xdraw, strong-side, and Covert in an ankle holster. Hard to do that with 1911s. They are accurate, controllable for fast follow-up shots. At 20 feet, I can group 7 rds of 155gr into 3-4 inches rapid fire. Bore axis and sight planes are great. Who cares about religion and politics, when all we really want are finely crafted firearms?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Originally posted by Gunz:
Who cares about religion and politics, when all we really want are finely crafted firearms?

I do. It's the same reason I dont eat Ben N Jerry's Ice Cream or pay/watch anything connected with various different actors/actress.

------------------

·
Registered
696 Posts
An American manufacturer, yes... but who's to say that a measure of the profits don't get "shipped home to daddy?" I'm with you, Lupey; wouldn't have one.

Mikey

1 - 20 of 26 Posts