1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is either better? Why? also is the mauser availible in a replica with 6.5x55 swede?

and wheres the 1903 springfield rank in there?

im looking for mostly range, maybe hunting, but i want it to be a wwII replica

thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
better at what?
the mauser is a better gun from my point of view.
here is some of my reasoning.
higher quality of craftsmanship, russian stuff works but it's always a bit cruder than the "rest". and everybody knows the germans make great stuff.....or at least over engineer the simplest things.
the mauser action, well it's the mauser action.
ever heard of "sticky bolt" with a mauser?

the mosin does have a few key selling points though.
the entrance fee is hard to beat.
feeding it is also just as cheap, and probably will remain so for some time to come.
google "sticky bolt".

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mil surp choice

Well my opinion for what its worth... Naget, cheap to shoot built like a tank but somewhat crude action If you can find one the M39 Finn is the cream of the crop the 38s and 44s are fun carbines but not real accurate. Mauser, smooth slick action Lots of cheap corrosive ammo around, sights are a little crude but they work. My fist choice would be a nice SC O3A3 with a 4 goove barrel Decent sights smooth action and endless variation of ammo in 30 06 for target shooting and hunting. A standard 1903 would be fine but the sights are somewhat fragile. Truman

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean

by WWII replica? Nagants are available around $100-150 dating back to 1900, a brick of corrosive ammo is very cheap. K98's are around in original condition ($600-1200 or more), but the Russian Captured ones from WWII cost usually $200-400. The 1903/1903A3 is plentiful, ammo available, and quite accurate. There are lots of very nice Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 around that are considered some of the nicest shooting Mausers of all.

Maybe you mean by replica that it was rebuilt after the war(s) and not an as issued or original battlefield pickup sort of rifle? I personally love the K98, mine is dialed in out to the 300 yard line and very accurate. That said, if you don't need a bolt action for any reason, don't forget about an M1 Garand. Probably the one rifle I will never part with, even if I could only have one...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Someone once said that "the Mauser was a great multipurpose rifle designed for battle but also great for sporting use with it's overbuilt bolt and controlled round feeding.

The Enfield was the best Battle rifle of the bolt actions with it's fast bolt with it's handle directly above teh trigger hand, and it's 10 round mag.

The Springfield 1903 was a fantastic target rifle pressed into military service with enough Mauser features to violate their patent."

Springfields are a bit rare and fetch some of the higher prices nowadays as there aren't very many specimens left in military condidtion.

The Swedes are some sweet shooters as far as Mausers go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really i dont care if its a replica or the real thing, i just dont want to pay a $1000 for one, i love the way the kar98k's look and the german reliability, i like the 6.5 round and the price of the moisen... do most of them still have the nazi markings on them or did they file them off?

thanks

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
there were

some early Swedes made in Germany with Swedish steel. I had an Oberndorf made 6.5 Mauser that I paid $275 for, it was in excellent condition...bore was like new. I traded it a while later for more than I paid for it, but it shot very well.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I think the orginal swede 6,5mm mauser will out shoot any modern rifle in that same caliber. Its been said and posted many times with the guys who own both rifles in 6,5mm.

The carl Gustaf swede mausers were manufactured in sweden using swedish steel. The Oberndorf swedish mausers were manufactured at oberndorf in germany using swedish steel too. Either gun is very accurate.

The south american 7mm(7x57) mausers are awesome too. There are '93, '95 and '98 actions in 7mm too. The '93's and '95's are chileans while the 98's are brazilian 1908 mausers. I believe that sarco has the brazilian 08's. You can find the chilean 7mm's at gun shows but you have to look closely. There the small ring mauser with no stock disc.

The finnish 91/30, M24, M27 and M39 are awsome quality rifles too. These were captured russian rifles and reworked until they shot 1" MOA. The finnish mosins were built on russian receivers. These will have two dates one on the receiver inside and on the top of the barrel these were captured and reworked into finnish rifles. If you take the receiver out of the stock to clean it do not lose the placement of the shims. The russian manufactured 203gr soft point ammo is very affordable in 7,62x54r and ballastic wise its inbetween the 308 and the 30-06 too. For a new hunter who just wants to put meat on the table this is a great buy.( a russian mosin/russian ammo)

Now don't sell the russian mosins short either some of these are awesome shooters too and very accurate too.
M91/30 nice rifle cheap too.
M91/59 these were cut down 91/30's in 1959.
M38's these were totally new rifles
M44's there were new rifles too. The accuracy can be adjusted even with the bayo removed and the stock bedded.

Some of the german 8mm mausers aren't too bad either. The one i would look for is the yugo model 98 its really a german 98k with the markings removed and the yugo seal put on them. Its a reworked german mauser but at the yugo price. It will say Model 98 on the side rail.

The 303 britt's have the fastest bolt out of all of them.

Like any surplus military rifle if it has a good looking bore and its not shooting good groups then have it recrowned.

Get your C&R FFL03 and get them all???

I built one german 98k sporter. The 98k 8mm mauser with a shotout barrel cost me $20. The excellent used 8mm barrel from gun parts cost me $37. I changed out the barrel, refinished the stock to its orginal glory and added a 3post military scope for under $150 total. You can't go wrong doing a build too.

You can own, you can touch and shoot a piece of history thank God we live in a free country and we still have people who will fight to preserve our freedoms. Godbless them and bring them home safe.

I was at the local range oneday with my 1907 carl gustaf swede m96 6,5mm mauser shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. I had a guy come over to me to ask what was i shooting with that good accuracy with no scope? After i told him its a 100yo swede mauser he shook his head in disbelief. He them told me he and his SWAT group had some scoped rifles that couldn't shoot that good. They were very surprised a surplus military swede mauser could shoot that good. I was using new sellier & bellot 139gr ammo right out of the box.

They hunt moose and reindeer (elk) in europe with the 6,5mm round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts