1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the Kart bbl's in brownell's i am fairly competent with tools, i installed my last bushing, and the bbl is much more accurate now.

what i am wondering is actually how much fitting besides the bushing to frame will i need to do? will the bbl lugs need to be fit?

thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hi Smoney: You asked how much fitting you'e have to do. Fit the hood, sides and end. Fit the bottom barrel lugs to the slide stop pin. Fit the top barrel lugs to the slide lugs. Check and probably ream the chamber for headspace. Select proper barrel link. Setback the bottom of the barrel chamber feed ramp (throat). Make sure the recoil face on the frame is right (the place where the back of the barrel lugs hit when in full recoil. You're dealing with the heart of accuracy in the 1911. I'd suggest getting a book on the subject and ask lots of questions after a thorough reading. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
smoney,

Are you talking about the EZ Fit or the standard Kart Barrel? The standard one will require the work described above. An EZ fit will have less work. Most likely the top lugs, cutting the length of the hood and fitting the O.D. of the bushing to your frame.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Kart E-Z fit barrel is just that, easy. An experienced pistolsmith could probably fit one in half an hour. Me? Well it took me close to three hours.

The only fitting required is the bushing OD to the slide. Then filing two small "nubs" on the first locking grove and the hood length.

I installed one that turned a pistol that shot eight inch groups at 25 yards, into a two incher.

I would highly recommend buying the tool set that is offered with it. And read, read, and re-read the instructions.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have fit alot of Fred's barrels except the EZ-fit. They ALWAYS have to have the chamber reamed not only for headspace, but he does not put any leade in them. ( Spelling?) His gunsmith barrel usually takes a couple of hours and you have to take your time unless you can do it on a mill. It's not a job for the faint hearted but will add so much to any 1911 that it's worth it. I started fitting them with a chainsaw file and then was given a lug-cutter which made life easier. DO THE CHAMBER LAST1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts