1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has experience with installing a Kart EZ fit match barrel. In the instructions the slide stop pin is to contact the lower lugs at the bottom of the curve (Point A), and at the top of the curve (Point B).

I am evenly contacting the two pads and the two legs on the top of the lower lugs curve. I cannot seem to get it to contact the lower part of the lug curve (point A). I still have a little bit of a tight lockup, but I am afraid to take any more off the pads as to have a lose fit.

Has anyone bin able to get the pin to contact the lower part of the curve? Does it really matter? Should I just start shooting the gun to see what wears in? I have put seven hours into this project and do not want to screw it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Not to worry. This means your lockup is just a little ( read, very little ) too tight. You can shoot it in or you can do what I did:

Since you have even contact on the fitting pads, cut some strips of 400 grit sandpaper to the exact width of the fitting file and about 6 inches long. Place the barrel in a vice with the fitting pads facing up. Using the strip of sandpaper and a "shoe shine: action, carefully remove material from the fitting pads until proper lockup is achieved.

This is what can be achieved:

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
rrabullseye said:
This is what can be achieved:
What type of rest is that off? :scratch:

·
Registered
141 Posts
:) Hi PghJim,

My pad height was .033" & the gun would not go into battery if I eased the slide closed. It would, however, go into battery normally during every firing session & was what I would call "a very tight lock-up".

But... the gun shot 1.5" high @ 7-10 yards. I attributed that to the pad height so I took them down to .022". I would not recommend taking them down further even though impact is still about an inch high since it goes into battery now while easing the slide down & slide can be retracted with only a pull of thumb & index finger grasping the rear cocking serrations. I'd say you could just shoot & let it "wear-in" a bit first B4 trying anything else yet!

My barrel was fit with no measuring tools whatsoever, only a "Sharpie" magic marker. If I'd had them with me, it could have been an even better fit, but I was on vacation.:cool:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weather will be nice tomorrow, so I will shoot it a little. But I will probably end up doing rrabullseye's sugestion. This was a very neet project, that I would encourage anyone to try if they think a properly fit match barrel will help their gun.

The hardest thing was fitting the bushing to the slide. I did it by hand and it took me over two hours and my wrists were very sore when I was done. Next time I will make something so that I can put it in a drill. The only other hard part is taking you time with the file. I should have used a sharpie. I used Hy-Spot which is blue and got it over everything.

·
Premium Member
8,466 Posts
A friend of mine asked me to put an E Z Fit into his Gold Cup. Long story short, if you just fit the upper locking lugs pads on some pistols your firing pin hit will be off center (low on primer). I guess these were built more for "stock" milspec guns. Anyway, I finished it off for him. I shoots right with a Les Baer 1.5" gun. So, the concept does work well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
PghJim said:
The weather will be nice tomorrow, so I will shoot it a little. But I will probably end up doing rrabullseye's sugestion. This was a very neet project, that I would encourage anyone to try if they think a properly fit match barrel will help their gun.

The hardest thing was fitting the bushing to the slide. I did it by hand and it took me over two hours and my wrists were very sore when I was done. Next time I will make something so that I can put it in a drill. The only other hard part is taking you time with the file. I should have used a sharpie. I used Hy-Spot which is blue and got it over everything.

Every EZ fit barrel and bushing I put in displayed Barrel springing. The bottom forward area of the bushing needed to be relieved slightly. Don't judge accuracy if you have barrel springing. The Kuhnhausen books goes into good detail on this.

Good luck

Erich

·
Premium Member
8,466 Posts
I experienced that also on the EZ Fit I installed. I had to relieve the inside of it as well as fit the outside. Kart has a great big caution about doing anything to that bushing. One does what they have to do. But it all worked out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Use Caution with bushing fit

:) Note that all slides should be measured for concentricity before bushing insert, i.e. they must be completely "round".

Some forged slides must be "squeezed" slightly to be completely round. Talk with Fred Kart if yours is not is not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts