1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is titled an editorial in Sunday's Detroit News by Nolan Finley. It was on the front page of the editorial section, and above the fold too, of Sunday's paper. Mr. Finley stated that the break down of civil authority, as it happened in New Orleans after the storm, show why the 2nd Amendment is important. I was surprised about the editorial being in the News since for a while now they have not been very warm toward firearms and the 2nd. But for the editorial being on the front page of the editorial section with a bold type header perhaps they are starting to re-think their prior postions on guns etc.

www.detnews.com/2005/editorial/0509/18/A17-318167.htm

·
Registered
948 Posts
the editorial said:
The tiresome question, "Why does anyone need a gun?" now has its answer.
Ugh. See, it always DID have its answer though. And why are people so obsessed with what they NEED? Bleh.

Good article I guess, though...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I like this even better:

Mayor of Montgomery Alabama, during a townhall meeting concerning the recent crime wave:

Bright went on to say,"There's going to be people out there who write me and say, 'God, Mayor, why are you doing this?' Listen to what I'm saying. Get your gun, learn how to shoot it, learn how to use it and use it. "

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=3852587&nav=0RdDeY02):

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love this quote from that article....
No amount of gun control laws will keep the dark side of this society from arming itself for evil purposes. To twist the old bumper sticker, Americans will give up their guns when they can be certain all the guns have been pried out of the cold, dead fingers of all the bad guys.
Until then, they'll prefer to keep a little heat in the house.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Americans will give up their guns when they can be certain all the guns have been pried out of the cold, dead fingers of all the bad guys.
Until then, they'll prefer to keep a little heat in the house.
I wouldn't give up my guns even then. I have too much fun with them.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Americans will give up their guns when they can be certain all the guns have been pried out of the cold, dead fingers of all the bad guys...
Actually, I'm not giving mine up even then, because of this:
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government."
– Thomas Jefferson
Self defense against criminals is a valid reason to be armed, and the reason I would most likely give in an argument with the panty waists who advocate restrictions on guns (because they choke on their kiwi-tofu burgers if you tell them that armed insurrection is a valid response to tyranny) but I agree with Jefferson about what the best reason is.

·
Registered
948 Posts
kjhof said:
because they choke on their kiwi-tofu burgers if you tell them that armed insurrection is a valid response to tyranny
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
So true!

·
Registered
573 Posts
kjhof said:
That is good to see. Now, if something like that appears in the Chicago Libune, or the Sun-Times, I'll really be amazed.
Not to mention the L.A. and N.Y. Times!

kjhof said:
Self defense against criminals is a valid reason to be armed, and the reason I would most likely give in an argument with the panty waists who advocate restrictions on guns (because they choke on their kiwi-tofu burgers if you tell them that armed insurrection is a valid response to tyranny) but I agree with Jefferson about what the best reason is.
Here's a contemporay reason: does anyone think terrorists obey gun laws?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
kjhof said:
Actually, I'm not giving mine up even then, because of this:

No doubt brother!!

Thanks for the article Jim :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.