1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and love what I have read already, but there are some things that I wonder about also. I have read some of the posts about things breaking on the 1911s and such and I was just wondering if in your honest opinions would you stick to this weapon 110%? I am more of a practical type person when it comes to my fire arms. I don't like fancy or pretty, I like practical/tactical and dependable. So I am pretty much asking that if there are these problems with the Smith 1911 would you say that you would use it as your primary side arm during a SHTF situation? I love my SW1911 and would not want to trade it at all, but if there are going to be a lot of problems in the future I might just sell out and get a Glock. :confused: I LOVE 1911s I mean I have wanted one since I was able to see the difference between handguns as a kid. And I have had mine for a year with no problems. I am just not sure though. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have problems with either of my 1911s especially my sw. I sold my beretta px4 because it was too hard to manipulate the safety and I felt more comfortable.
I'm also trying to sell my beretta cheetah because I'm not comfortable with the DA.
The point is my 1911s are completely reliable and for me are far more comfortable to carry and shoot then anything else I've owned. I might pick up a revolver one day but for now I've kind of been changing out my small collection to nothing but 1911s

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think you're worrying to much. I have two S&W 1911's and haven't had any problems. Relax and enjoy your gun.
Tomcatt

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
My humble opinion is shoot it and don`t worry about it unless it gives you reason for concern. There is absolutely no gun platform that is 100% 100% of the time. I happen to know a few of the Sargents in our Sheriffs department who absolutely drooled over my S&W 108284 when I had it "safety inspected" (registered), and then asked me how it was performing when I was back again with my latest acquisition (SA GI). Just talking with them, they relayed the problems encountered over time with their duty guns (brand withheld), and expressed their desire for the department to adopt the 1911 platform. Many of their friends who shoot all the time with them are having remarkable success without mechanical problems with their production1911`s....fewer problems than with many of them have with their duty guns.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey guys,
I have read some of the posts about things breaking on the 1911s and such and I was just wondering if in your honest opinions would you stick to this weapon 110%?
Provide your specific concerns and we wil deal with then. I haven't heard of ANY problems or "things breaking" on SW1911 hanguns.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The 1911 was the sidearm of choice for the US military for a lot of decades for a reason. It's a solid reliable design that fires a reliable manstopper. And in my opinion the SW1911 is the cream of the current crop of production 1911s. There's a lot of propaganda floating around various boards about one brand or another's plastic fantastic is "perfection". It's a lot of marketing hype. Nobody's product is "perfection" but a good quality 1911 comes close in my mind. Anyway here's an article written by somebody that has my respect. Maybe it will put all the hype out there in perspective.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
None of my S&W 1911s have given me any problems and I carry them knowing that they will work if needed. Lots offolks worry about the external extractor on the S&W's but Smith has them down to a science!

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tell you the truth that's all i needed to know. :p just as long as there were not "known" problems that come with it.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
In my experience with the 1911 platform there are really two major areas of problem. The extractor is the weak link and needs more attention than the rest of the gun. The other is the shooter. Many issues are simply shooter caused, they don't clean, they don't do good reloads, etc. It is a great design and a proven design. Just be sure you buy quality products.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should read this thread and view the results of the "limp wrist" test before buying a Glock.
Limp wrist test
I have been collecting firearms for 27 years and my S&W 1911 is the gun that lays on my nightstand for protecting my family.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This info really helps settle my hesitation on to get a new pistol.Awesome. thanks guys. I have a 5 inch Smith and I will be getting a IWB to carry it with my CCW. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. I am super happy I am not gonna get rid of it because I don't want my baby to end up in someone else's bed. :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
After owning two S&W 1911s for about two years, a 1911DK and a model 108284, both are functioning just fine with no trips back to S&W. I own a lot of handguns and my S&W 1911DK is the most accurate of the bunch. Smith & Wesson does have the best customer service in the gun industry, if you should ever need it.

Dennis

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and love what I have read already, but there are some things that I wonder about also. I have read some of the posts about things breaking on the 1911s and such and I was just wondering if in your honest opinions would you stick to this weapon 110%? I am more of a practical type person when it comes to my fire arms. I don't like fancy or pretty, I like practical/tactical and dependable. So I am pretty much asking that if there are these problems with the Smith 1911 would you say that you would use it as your primary side arm during a SHTF situation? I love my SW1911 and would not want to trade it at all, but if there are going to be a lot of problems in the future I might just sell out and get a Glock. :confused: I LOVE 1911s I mean I have wanted one since I was able to see the difference between handguns as a kid. And I have had mine for a year with no problems. I am just not sure though. Thanks in advance
Read through the post and thought about this a bit.......

The 1911 is my weapon of choice. Good in hand and deadly accurate. All of mine are reliable and have been from day one outside of a Springer that needed a slide to frame adjustment as it came in new just too darn tight.

I own or owned Springers, Colts, S&Ws, Taurus, STIs and Kimbers. Most of my weapons have seen at least 7,000 to 10,000+ rounds now. I would trust my life on any that are in the current herd I own. Just as others have shared, my S&W's have been reliable, accurate and they have held up just fine to date. I hope that helps puts your concerns to rest but, if you, as a shooter, are not completely comfortable and trusting of a particular weapon (maker or whatever) go with something you have faith in, whatever that might be. There is no place for 2nd thoughts or doubts when it comes to grabbing and trusting a weapon to save your bacon. Make sure you are well practiced and know that gun inside out. It will take care of you if the time should ever come.

Good luck and great shooting to you. :rock:

·
Banned
565 Posts
All handguns are made by people and are really just complex machines.
If you shoot one long enough sooner or later, something will fail. That is true of anything made. Unless you have a crystal ball you can't know when or where or what will fail. Todays pistols are very well made and I don't see a Smith and Wesson product as more likely to fail than a Glock.
Having said that my own experience is that the most critical time in the life of a pistol is the early part, the first few thousand rounds. That is where any problems during manufacture or faulty parts seem to show up. If any issues crop up you can address them at that time.
Beyond that it becomes more an issue of wear and tear. Most of the parts on a 1911 are pretty tough. Eventually an extractor, slide stop or something may give trouble. More rarely a sear, disconnector or hammer. This is where maintenance comes into play and close inspection on a regular basis can spot trouble before it starts. Things rare 'just break' with no warning whatsoever.
One has to do whatever you are most comfortable with. Confidence is important when it comes to a handgun. If you don't think you cain have that degree of confidence in a 1911 then by all means get a Glock or whatever will give you that confidence.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I and a lot of other guys carry S&W's for primary carry weapons. One of the selling points of the S&W is the paucity of problems. I think your concerns about reliability are unfounded. Keep in mind that the reports of problems are written by the few that do have a problem, (many of which seem to be a problem between the brain and the trigger.) The great silent majority who are very pleased with our S&W's just don't say anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts