1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a bad idea to keep my 45acp ammo in a steel 50 cal can unboxed or loose ?
Thought about that verses keeping them in the plastic boxes like you buy for reloading but my gut feeling says the plastic boxes over a long storage time will hold moisture which is bad .
My 50 cals will hold over 700 rounds and my 30 cals just over 300 either way boxed or open , I am more concerned about moisture buildup over a long period of storage time .

·
Super Moderator
14,613 Posts
I've kept all common handgun calibers in 50 cal & 30 cal ammo cans for 3-4 months at a time with no problems. My cans have the rubber gasket sealing the lid, so IMO moisture shouldn't be a problem even with years of storage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Reloads ? Key to ammo storage is cool & dry.

My reloads are kept in 100 round MTM boxes with all applicable load data. been doing it that way since mid 70s, never a problem to date.

Metal ammo cans are good too if you ensure the lids rubber seal is in good condition. I would remove all previous content markings from the can and re-mark it with current contents.

Factory ammo is kept in original packaging for LOT Identity. If there is a recall or you need to report bad ammo you will need to know what LOT is affected.

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Low usage goes in MTM 100 rd cases and then in an ammo can with o ring. High usage are just kept in the MTM cases and are typically used in less than 6 months.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
You're overthinking it.

Loose ammo has been stored in 50 cal cans in some of the nastiest most humid conditions in the world with no ill effects.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Steel G.I. cans are the best thing you can use. Check the gasket to make sure it's not missing or deformed. I've been filling them up and stacking them for 40 years.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that you CANNOT kill ammo with poor storage.

I've fired 50 y/o paper shotshells that were stored in a damp Cadillac trunk. No problems. Cycled an Auto 5 easily.

I've cleaned green goo off of rounds garage-stored loose in open coffee cans. Then fired no problem.

I got a massive pile of .45 & .30-06 kept in a brutally hot corrugated roof shed, baked in the San Diego sun since Korea. Rat's had been peeing & pooping on it for decades, & shredding the cardboard boxes . I chucked the top layer of rounds then cleaned & shot most of the rest. I still have some.

And who knows how all the WW1 surplus I've fired was stored? Probably in a series of dusty warehouses between bales of rope and pallets of tent pegs. For 90 years.

I would not sweat this issue AT ALL.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
I've kept all common handgun calibers in 50 cal & 30 cal ammo cans for 3-4 months at a time with no problems. My cans have the rubber gasket sealing the lid, so IMO moisture shouldn't be a problem even with years of storage.
Same - I've shot 35 year old loads for .357 and .44 that have been stored in those same rubber gasket cans and never had a misfire or unusual pressure event.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that you CANNOT kill ammo with poor storage.

I've fired 50 y/o paper shotshells that were stored in a damp Cadillac trunk. No problems. Cycled an Auto 5 easily.

I've cleaned green goo off of rounds garage-stored loose in open coffee cans. Then fired no problem.

I got a massive pile of .45 & .30-06 kept in a brutally hot corrugated roof shed, baked in the San Diego sun since Korea. Rat's had been peeing & pooping on it for decades, & shredding the cardboard boxes . I chucked the top layer of rounds then cleaned & shot most of the rest. I still have some.

And who knows how all the WW1 surplus I've fired was stored? Probably in a series of dusty warehouses between bales of rope and pallets of tent pegs. For 90 years.

I would not sweat this issue AT ALL.
I agree completely. I got all hung up on it when I started getting into shooting after my father passed, I ended up with the ammo he had- mixed reloads in those plastic cases you mentioned, boxes that were mostly 40+ years old that had been stored loose in a cedar gun cabinet in a basement at around 60-70% humidity- no issues.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I keep most of mine in plastic boxes. You can fill an ammo can with loose rounds and find it too heavy to carry.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I keep my reloads in plastic ammo cans, the ones sized like M-60 ammo boxes.
Not had a problem but then none of the ammo last all that long before being shot.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We have been doing it about forever with no issues.
This is exactly what I was referring to . :)
Lately it's just been easier to store it that way than wasting my time boxing every round just to put it in a sealed metal 50 cam .
I can dump over 700 rounds in my 50 cal cans and still have room .

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Loose ammo is sold in ammo cans, so i cant imagine its a problem.

Does anyone use/ put those tea bag sized moisture absorbent packets that come with certain retail items in with their ammo? Just random curiosity...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'd keep the metal ammo can off the basement/slab floor or keep something under it if you live in humid climates. No direct contact with the foundation is better long term.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You can always keep loose ammo in gallon or quart sized zip-lock bags in the ammo can. I do this with a moisture absorber added.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Loose ammo is sold in ammo cans, so i cant imagine its a problem.

Does anyone use/ put those tea bag sized moisture absorbent packets that come with certain retail items in with their ammo? Just random curiosity...
I buy and insert the small desiccant packets from Dillon. Those go one each into a GI can on top of the 1000 rounds of .223 ammo (100 on stripper clips), a charging tool, and a spare Magpul 30-rnd mag.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
I buy and insert the small desiccant packets from Dillon. Those go one each into a GI can on top of the 1000 rounds of .223 ammo (100 on stripper clips), a charging tool, and a spare Magpul 30-rnd mag.
It seems like a logical use for them...

·
Registered
631 Posts
The only problem with loose 45's in a 50 cal can is the weight. I'm not the man I once was and a full 50 cal can is all I want to pick up. Don't get me started on the "fat 50's". Takes hand tucks to move them!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts