1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this here because people are talking about Ken Hackathorn and Wilson has done gun with his specs.
I have not heard single complaint on any forum and even Wilson rep. speaks very highly of him.

Is his courses worth of money?? I would like to get better In all aspect of shooting. So people who have partipated in Ken´s classes please tell me your opinnions.

I might have a chance to participate in his course in October in California. Only problem is that I live in Finland and It is almost impossible to take my own Wilson with me because wife, me and my son is flying several flights before entering to California(already asked that possibility). Wife even accept to change our schedule so I could participate on that course, if I could rent gears somewhere…
I know my wife is the best!! :D

I have send Alias training couple of emails for renting a gun and gears from them but not yet received any solid answer.

I know that it is different to shoot with rented gears than own but that is only possibility to take part in Ken´s courses, probably only chance for me…

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I would do whatever is needed to take a course with him if I was in your shoes, and I'd rather shoot a Glock in Ken's course than never take his course at all.

Just be patient and wait for an answer on the rental gun. He teaches different courses so not sure which you are looking at, but if you can get into a 1911 class with him you will enjoy that.

Good luck whatever you decide.

FM

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
I took the intermediate level defensive pistol course of his last October, and it was worth every penny and then some. He is a superb trainer, and has a solid experience base for his "opinions" when he gives them, and will always explain the why of what he is teaching. I have been shooting handguns for over 40 years, and I learned a lot from his class. If you have the opportunity to attend, make every possible effort to do so - you will not be disappointed. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Ken is one of the BEST trainers. If you can work out all the details, you will not have a single regret - I guarantee you.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Everyone should take a Hackathorn class. Many of the things being taught now are training principles Ken helped develop over the last 40 years.

He came to Bill Wilson's ranch last October - the thread is on this page right now - and I wrote up an after action report on page 7. Go have a look.

·
Super Moderator
13,725 Posts
Juice,
What state are you in?

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
Ken is top-notch. He has a passion for weaponcraft and teaching that has endured through the years. Ken has always been immensely generous in sharing his ever-growing knowledge of the field. I am proud to know him.

Rosco

Here's a photo (circa 1981 or so) with weird beards, no gray hair, thinner, and much MUCH younger pistoleros. L to R - Ken, me, Rick Miller. Those were the days...

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Just signed up. Thanks for the post and comments.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Great picture Roscoe, always a pleasure to see folks in their early days, when you have only met them in person in the recent past. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Does the course include any 1911 smithing?

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Does the course include any 1911 smithing?
The one I went to last October had no 'smithing, just defensive pistol technique training and lots of shooting to apply that training. Great class.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Hope to see you there Pops!

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
This thread is about the one in California, I'll pass on that one and wait for on more towards this end of the country. If the details come out on this side of the country, I'll look forward to meeting you there bud!

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Guys,

Take a look at AC's comments about the class Ken did with Bill last year. While Ken's class in October '14 in CA won't have Bill I hope some of you consider coming out West for a couple days. There may not be many more opportunities to train with Ken based on Chuck's intel. And Cali ain't all bad. We've got the best weather in the world, a large 2A community and a hell of a lot of very very good shooters.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Goaround, I would love to be able to come out that way, but rooms, food, and fuel getting to and from are a good bit more expensive than a 12 hour drive for me to somewhere between me and the east coast. Would love to meet and shoot with you guys in person, just isn't that much in the budget for a while. I know you guys will enjoy his class a lot, as we did last fall. Relish the opportunity, it is time well spent and worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I hear you Gramps. As much as I'd love to revisit your part of the Country I can't say I'd do it either due to the logistical costs. Classes aren't cheap and adding everything else is a serious investment. It's more of a wish to shoot with ya'll than anything else!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wow,

Everything worked with Alias training, deposit is now paid for the class and flights to USA is booked. I have couple of tricks on my sleeves to get my Wilson whit me but if not Paul promised to arrange gears for me so all bases covered...

It is still almost 6 month away but really exited and scared that I am not good enough for the class specially if I shoot other gun than my own... :scratch:

Next Saturday I will be on Robert Vogels class when he will be in Finland.

PS. Thank you Paul and Sarah from Aliastraining for helping me to get a place in the course and of course all of you who convinced me to attend to that class!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts