1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a CNN special on the Kennedy assassination last night. After the killing, the Dallas PD took jurisdiction, since killing a President was not a federal crime at that time. The old TV footage showed a Dallas homicide detective going over the crime scene (school book depository).

He was armed with a cocked & locked 1911, carried cross draw, in a belt slide holster. I knew that 1911s were popular with Texas lawmen, particularly Rangers, but found it interesting that a Dallas detective would have one too.

The show also featured Oswald's guns. The revolver he used on Dallas PD Officer Tibbets looked like a Colt Detective Special, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I watched a CNN special on the Kennedy assassination last night. After the killing, the Dallas PD took jurisdiction, since killing a President was not a federal crime at that time. The old TV footage showed a Dallas homicide detective going over the crime scene (school book depository).

He was armed with a cocked & locked 1911, carried cross draw, in a belt slide holster. I knew that 1911s were popular with Texas lawmen, particularly Rangers, but found it interesting that a Dallas detective would have one too.

The show also featured Oswald's guns. The revolver he used on Dallas PD Officer Tibbets looked like a Colt Detective Special, but not sure.
Oswald's revolver was a WWII Smith & Wesson "Victory Model" originally in .38 S&W caliber with the barrel shortened and re-chambered in .38 Special. This is the gun used to kill Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
I watched JFK: The Smoking Gun and it claimed that the head shot was fired by accident from the Secret Service in the follow up car. The agents in the car heard the shots and saw Oswald in the window. One of the agents picked up his AR-15 and flipped off the safety and as he was turning to engage Oswald the follow up car speeds up and the agent loses his footing falls backwards and fires the AR hitting President Kennedy in the back of the head.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
So much information but still so little evidence. Viewing the original Zapruder film Kennedy's head moved immediately and violently to the rear and left after the head shot - not a typical movement post impact from a shot fired from the rear. It would be nice to see all the original, un-redacted, evidence but as (11-22-13 approaches) fifty years of massaging, well - there is not much chance of that happening. Something very unusual happened that day but like Benghazi the chances of learning the truth are more than likely lost forever. Today, even the truth about the Kennedy assassination would seem so bizarre to be unbelievable and in MHO we never received the truth in 1963 (on or after 11/22/1963) or from the Warren Commission (1963). But that's just me.

Supposedly, Ruby used a Colt Cobra .38 on Oswald, one shot to the abdomen. Oswald used a .38 to kill Officer Tippit: "Three point blank shots" from a .38 and a fourth and final shot to the head! Ironically, four .38 casings were found at the scene. Two were Win and two were Rem. It goes on and on - misinformation, lies, truth, and complete and utter fabrication.

I guess in the words of Hillary Clinton: "What difference at this point does it make?"

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm of the opinion the SS guy blew JFK's head off with the M16. The evidence is strong. The head movement works fine when you consider it an explosive tipped bullet.

This also makes a LOT of sense when you ask yourself why did they seal the records till 2025? So everyone would be dead and gone. And it's a good reason RFK was killed, as you can bet your ass he would fry any and everyone that had anything to do with JFK's death.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm of the opinion the SS guy blew JFK's head off with the M16. The evidence is strong. The head movement works fine when you consider it an explosive tipped bullet.

This also makes a LOT of sense when you ask yourself why did they seal the records till 2025? So everyone would be dead and gone. And it's a good reason RFK was killed, as you can bet your ass he would fry any and everyone that had anything to do with JFK's death.
I agree with the RFK scenario. Hard time with the SSA - although the phrase; "We're from the government and we are here to help you!" comes to mind. All in all an amazing series of screw-ups in this: partying by SS the night before, motorcade not picking up speed immediately, Dallas police, Ruby, "the bullet", etc., etc..

·
Registered
859 Posts
I watched JFK: The Smoking Gun and it claimed that the head shot was fired by accident from the Secret Service in the follow up car. The agents in the car heard the shots and saw Oswald in the window. One of the agents picked up his AR-15 and flipped off the safety and as he was turning to engage Oswald the follow up car speeds up and the agent loses his footing falls backwards and fires the AR hitting President Kennedy in the back of the head.
Seems a bit far fetched to me. Total BS.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I was watching an interview with Oliver Stone this morning on CBS. He says the CIA had something to do with it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Read the book "The Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter. It is historical fiction, but Hunter is a gun guy and his theory as to what happened is interesting.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Read the book "The Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter. It is historical fiction, but Hunter is a gun guy and his theory as to what happened is interesting.
I am half way through this book and it has been quite good (but I like most of the Swagger books). His observations about the grassy knoll were definitely interesting and added a different perspective that I hadn't considered.

Also IIRC Bob uses some type of 1911 in .38 Super in one scene.

·
Registered
693 Posts
He does add a different spin on the assissatition, but it is believable! I had never been a conspiracy nut about this, and this is the first book I have read about it, but it does lead creedance that Oswald wasn't the only killer. Besides Bob Lee gets to get into some more action, like facing down a car with a 1911 .38 Super! How could anyone not like that!

·
Registered
131 Posts

Total nonsense. The initial head movement was to the left, indicative of the glancing right side impact. If the secret service thing was true, don't you think someone in that car would have stepped forward to collect their millions for the story?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Was the secret service using M16's in 1963? Had hollow point/soft point ammo been developed for the 5.56 then? Just cuirous.

·
Registered
13,565 Posts
Did any of you guys see that recent show where they put one of those gelatin/skeleton dummies in a car & shot it from an elevated crane? Angle was right, distance correct, timing correct.
The result, the damage, & the splatter was a very close match to the Zapruder film & the Warren Commission's findings.

That puts a ton of plausibility into the Oswald as a single-shooter concept.

But hey, I get that if you have 100 people in a room you will get 106 different Kennedy theories. So I won't go to the mat on this one.

Btw, What's with the super-high scope mount on Oswald's Carcano? Was that about ejection? Looks weird.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Three casing were found by the first officer at the shooting of Officer Tippet. LHO carried a revolver. As the presidential car turns on Elm St, the SS agents on the back of the car dismount. From the front veranda, dlee

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
..... Viewing the original Zapruder film Kennedy's head moved immediately and violently to the rear and left after the head shot -
Not true. The difference between frames 312 and 313 of the Zapruder film shows the Presidents head moves forward at the moment of the impact...not backward.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
As a USMC Distinguished shooter, no one will EVER convince me Oswald was good enough to make the shots. He barely qualified as a Sharpshooter in the USMC and that simply ain't good enough for the supposed shots he made. A few years later I was right in the middle of the conspiracy investigation in New Orleans and worked with, or knew several of the people involved. Ferry, Shaw, Gervich, Gervais, Campbell, and others. Certainly have my own convictions about what happened and was nearly killed (really) in the process. Too damned many odd coincidences as well as people involved dying off. Made me really spooked for a number of years.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Not true. The difference between frames 312 and 313 of the Zapruder film shows the Presidents head moves forward at the moment of the impact...not backward.
Not testing your veracity but here is a link to a copy of Life magazine Zapruder Film.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1PbgeBoQ4, including damaged frames that I believe demonstrates rearward movement with the "fatal" headshot. But, yes, there was a very brief "forward" movement - he was slouched froward at the time of the head shot. This "goes to the two shots fired at the same time from; back and front".

I don't know, just my thoughts and comments - I'm by no means any kind of a forensics person. We will probably never know what really happened, by design - 50 years is a long time to "muddy the water".

1 - 20 of 68 Posts