1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my search for a self-defense folder to these two models, both of which fit my needs and budget. In price, they're only a few dollars apart.

I like the Kershaw's spring-assisted opening--slick and quick. The Griptilian's grip feels a little nicer.

Any thoughts on how these two compare to each other?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both and I have to say that the griptilian is a much better made knife. The 551's Axis lock is far better than the liner lock on the Kershaw. I like both knives but feel the BM is a better knife and about as quick to use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dittos. I also have both and have stopped carrying the Kershaw after purchasing the Griptillian. The Axis lock is just a more positive lockup. The Griptillian also opens very quickly so the speed of the Kershaw assisted opening is pretty much negated. This is my first Benchmade and I like it so much I plan on picking up some of their other models. BTW, Cabela's has excellent prices on the Griptillians

·
Registered
197 Posts
As an added plus, the steel used in Benchmade knives is generally superior to the Kershaws. I stopped carrying my Blackout after buying my first Benchmade, there is simply no comparison in overall quality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also was in the market for a knife and it cam down to the Griptilain and the Keshaw blur. I settled on the Benchmade as the axis lock was more to my liking and the Benchmade just appeared sturdier to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Griptillian for sure

You can also purchase a trainer for the benchmade. Might save you some skin and make you that much more confident in your grip.

·
Banned
182 Posts
GRIPTILIAN all the way!
The Griptilian is a SUPERIOR knife! I wouldn't waste the money on a Kershaw if there was a Benchmade closer in price. Don't compromise quality with price... Buy the Griptilian and let us know if we were wrong...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I carry a (mini) griptilian as my everyday carry knife, and really like it. As others have said, the steel in the benchmade is generally superior to what kershaw uses--I'm assuming it is AUS 6 or 8 in the Kershaw? Get the Benchmade.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
It seems to me that I did hear that kershaw has a new one out thats actually got some decent steel in it, but its more expensive, and I'd still take an axis lock over a frame lock anyday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts