1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching how US GI helmets are made, kinda interesting. The testing proceedure is firing a bullet at the helmut. They said they fire a 556 round with a 17gr bullet and 8 grains of powder at a velocity of 1700 fps. If the bullet doesn't penatrate it meets US Govt standards. Now I was listening carefully when they were talking about the testing. They didn't mention the distance but the ballistics don't seem either right or reasonable to me. If they are going to use a 556 round why wouldn't they use a standard weight and velocity GI bullet? The show is GI factory on the military channel. Anyone else see it?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
If they are going to use a 556 round why wouldn't they use a standard weight and velocity GI bullet? The show is GI factory on the military channel. Anyone else see it?
Maybe it is just supposed to sustain an impact of a generic object with a certain amount of energy?

I havent seen that particular episode but I have seen the show before. Ive seen them tour the Beretta factory where they build M9s, a FN factory where they made several different weapons and also a place that upgraded M1 and M1A1 tanks to M1A2s.

·
Premium Member
15,653 Posts
'If they are going to use a 556 round why wouldn't they use a standard weight and velocity GI bullet?'

Because the helmet would fail, exposing another example of government procurement fraud/graft/corruption. 17 grains at 1700 fps? That's pellet gun territory - well, almost. They should try M855 (62 grains at 3000 fps with a steel core) to show how great that heavy monstrosity really is. Okay, in reality no combat helmet can be designed at the current time to resist standard assault rifle ammunition at close range. Maybe in a few years the technology will allow that in a helmet size and weight that is reasonable. I'll say this for the Iraq venture - we have found out about deficiencies in practically everything we use over there, and improvements are being made. Our military, already basically the only one in the world with recent major combat experience, will be much tougher after the crucible of Iraq.

G

·
Off topic

Below is the title and description for topics intended for this section of the board.

General Gun Discussion (35 Viewing)
Discuss non-1911 firearms and 1911 related questions that DO NOT fit well in the other forums.

You need to read item three in the link below. It applies to off topic posts as well.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=167504

Here is what it says. All members should be paying attention to the stickies.

Just in the past day I've had to move:

Two threads about Colt pistols
One thread about ammo
One thread about Dan Wesson
Two threads related to Legal & Political
One thread that belongs in Tactics

FUTURE TOPICS DUMPED HERE THAT BELONG ELSEWHERE WILL BE DELETED. MEMBERS WHO DO IT AGAIN WILL BE BANNED FOR AT LEAST ONE DAY.

It's time for people to stop being lazy or thinking they can get more attention if they post in General.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.