1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been raising my kids around firearms as my Dad did with me while I was growing up. Both my 4 and 7 year old know that I carry my pistol on a regular basis. Of course they have asked me how I can carry my pistol while in public without being a LEO. I've showed them my CCW permit with my picture and explained to them how this allows me to carry legally.

The other night after dinner my 4 year asked me if I would take her for a walk. It was already dark out and a little cloudy so I tell her that it was too late and dark for little girls to be out on walks. Now while my neighborhood isn't the worst in my area it gets a shady character or stray dog stroll through once in a while.

So the very next thing she tells me is "Daddy, just get your flashlight and your gun and we will be ok". I was a little surprised that a 4 year old could recognize the need to carry a pistol. Now she might not fully understand the CCW concept but at least she knows that it allows me to carry and protect my loved ones if the occasion ever arose.

I did end up taking her for a walk that night and made sure my Surefire L2 and my trusty Colt Commander came with us. I guess it's never too early to start your kids on the fundamentals of gun safety and personal protection.

RJM

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Like your's, my two daughters have grown up in a houseful of guns and knew I always carried. As soon as they were old enough, I sent them through the NRA Eddie Eagle program. We had family days out in the desert where they learned to shoot, progressing through a Daisy BB gun, Chipmunk .22, Ruger .22 revolver, .410 shotguns into all my "adult" collection of long and short arms. They are as comfortable around guns as most kids are around iPods. The oldest girl now has her CCW and a stainless Kimber Compact, as will the youngest when she becomes old enough.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
when my daughters were younger ( they are 11 and 14 now) they saw me carrying in uniform, and i carried off duty all the time. my daughters ask about it. i told them that daddy carries it because my job is to protect people, and that i carried it because i also was going to keep my promise of coming home every day.

now that they are older they understand more of the evil that is in the world, and that i dont carry it to be a tough guy, i carry it because i believe in protecting people ( and my family) that cant protect themselves.

i taught my girls all the gun saftey rules, and have had them shoot. its not a big deal to them anymore, its just one of the tools for the life i have chosen to lead..

God i love my kids....

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Just to emphasize what others have said -- all my kids (4) were taught early how dangerous a gun can be. I took them out and shot things like pumpkins, watermelons, etc. and then let them know that the same kind of total destruction can happen to a human. Then they learned how to handle and shoot and not be afraid of the gun. Maybe I'm naive, but after they learned to respect the gun and handle it properly I was never afraid that they would do something foolish. So far they never have and my oldest is a Blackhawk pilot currently in theater.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I gunproof my kids as well

Its too bad this day and age we have to show a child a permit from the .gov to carry when we should just have to show them the 2A :hrm:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have Grandaughters, aged 8 and 5. I've been considering a Chipmunk .22 to get them started in firearms. Does anyone manufacture a decent bb gun sized for the little one's?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
We have a grandson that lives with us. He loves to go shooting with me, I've bought him his own Ruger 10/22 rifle. He does real well and has learned to respect guns and what they can do. It's really neat to watch a 10-yr. old boy empty a 1911 as fast as he can! He can't hit with it, but he loves to shoot it. We have the most fun with our .22's though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 4 yo and 2yo both think guns are awsome. They know daddy uses them to keep away the bad guys and moose (their version of a monster). They don't understand about CCW persee but they do know it is good when daddy has his gun and bad when he doesn't.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kids & Guns

My daughters are both in their 30s and married. (That happened far faster than I ever thought it would, so you guys with younger kids and grandkids enjoy their childhoods; they'll be all grown up before you realize it.) I always had guns in the house while they were little, and they were always allowed to handle them, with supervision, whenever they wanted. All they had to do was ask.

When they were in their late teens I was invited to co-teach an "Intro to Firearms" class. I enrolled them both and, with the other instructors, taught them both to shoot. I didn't carry back then due to the difficulty of obtaining a permit, but I've had one for the last six years. My daughters and their husbands are aware of it, and it's never been a problem with any of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts