1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got me a 4 point buck this evening. ( dressed 100 lbs.):(
I shot him 1 time with my LB Stinger ( 4.25 inch barrel ), the shot was taken from about 40 feet above and 15 yards away.
It entered high on his left shoulder, through scapula, directly through the middle of a rib, destroyed the lungs (the bone fragments from the rib helped), missed the rib on the way out, but shattered the shoulder, and upper leg bone :)D forgot what that one is called) on the far side. ( Penetrated about 18 - 20 inches )
It did not exit, but was just under the skin on the far side.
The jacket did separate, but only in the last 2 inches or so. Because I found both peices of the bullet in the same place, but not in 1 peice.

Pics will be on here later tonight (scouts honor)...right now I gotta go get this meat wrapped and in the freezer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, he died where he stood, he kicked a few times, but did not get back up.

Heres the bullet...if you want to see the bullet wound, PM me and I can email them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's spectacular! Nice shot! :rock:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Cool deal! Can't wait to see the pics. We want to see the bullet and jacket too. Tracy

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another thing I forgot to mention...I didnt notice any muzzle flash...it was about 1800 when I shot him. ( late evening and cloudy );)

I should have put a coin in those pics for comparison...I forgot... The jacket is exactly the same size as a penny, the core is a little banged up, but is a little bigger across its widest point, and a little narrower across the narrow point.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I want to mention since most wont see the pics...

The hole through the near side of the ribcage is nearly 3 inches in diameter (including 3 iches of missing rib)...not bad for a "glorified hole punch" as some have called the 45 acp.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Congrats on a great shot that put meat in the freezer! I especially like how the round has little bits of critter in it...It did what it was designed to do-Motivating!

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Glad it did the job, BUT it should not have seperated.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bladeandbarrel said:
Glad it did the job, BUT it should not have seperated.
It didnt separate until after it had penetrated 16 inches of bone, muscle, and lungs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My guess is you were using the older GS, not the new bonded stuff. Am I right?

BTW - 40 feet up, man that is an elevated tree stand, or did you shoot it from the roof of a factory? :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really hate to see things like this. ( now this is no disrespect too you as from your post it sounds like a clean kill.) It cast a bad light on all hunters. There are far to many Animals wounded or never found from actions like this. I've personally had to kill 2 wounded deer from the actions of irresponsible hunters. As a hunter it is your duty to both the animal and fellow hunters that you make a quick clean kill. Other wise the act of hunting itself might not be around to pass along to your children, or your grandchildren.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
TAB said:
I really hate to see things like this. ( now this is no disrespect too you as from your post it sounds like a clean kill.) It cast a bad light on all hunters. There are far to many Animals wounded or never found from actions like this. I've personally had to kill 2 wounded deer from the actions of irresponsible hunters. As a hunter it is your duty to both the animal and fellow hunters that you make a quick clean kill. Other wise the act of hunting itself might not be around to pass along to your children, or your grandchildren.

"actions like this"? Did the OP break a law? What's your point?...if you have a complaint take it up with the guys that wounded the deer you had to kill.

You state that the OP made a clean kill...so your point is no handgun hunting? Or use a larger more powerful caliber? Or don't shoot beyond your accuracy capability? what?

·
Registered
874 Posts
TAB said:
He made as clean as a kill as you really can. What more do you want? Or are you just bitching?

·
Registered
89 Posts
In many states he would have broken the law. I also never said it was a clean kill I just said it sounded like a clean kill.

my point is one action like this going bad can, has and will shut down hunting in areas/countys/states.

We all know that 22 will kill a deer, does that mean we should all use it too hunt deer with?

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
You have been in CA too long, TAB!

Guess we should ban bowhunting too, eh?

·
Registered
874 Posts
TAB said:
In many states he would have broken the law. I also never said it was a clean kill I just said it sounded like a clean kill.

my point is one action like this going bad can, has and will shut down hunting in areas/countys/states.

We all know that 22 will kill a deer, does that mean we should all use it too hunt deer with?
And? He wasnt in any of those states!

So we shouldnt hunt at all because it could possibly cause hunting to be banned? :scratch:

So your point is...?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Good shootin', Ridgerunner. Handgun hunting is addictive. Ignore the silly horsesh!t about 'irresponsible' hunting and 'the jacket shouldn't have separated'. I've killed a number of deer with different handguns and have been in on a number of other handgun kills, including .45 ACP's. Also been to a few autopsies...evidently some have seen so many 'gelatin shots' of expanded bullets that they have no idea what really happens when bullets slam into meat & bone. Jackets sometimes come off. Big deal. What's important is that the core of the bullet remain intact and penetrate in a straight line, through the vitals.

Your bullet did fine, and so did you. Congratulations.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bladeandbarrel said:
You have been in CA too long, TAB!

Guess we should ban bowhunting too, eh?

both deer I've had to kill were shot by bow hunters, but no I don't think we should ban bow hunting. Lets face it there is alot of irresponsible people out there.

I do think that irresponsible hunters will be the ones that will have the privlage of hunting taken away from every one. ( like so many things that most poeple feel are rights, this is infact a privlage) The old saying one bad apple spoils the bunch is true. I've seen it happen in all of my hobbys and in my profession.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
TAB said:
I hit exactly where I wanted to hit him, I have carefully planned this for months. I tried my best to get both shoulder blades, but went under the far side (shot angle was too steep, deer came down wrong side of the gulley).

This is not brag....everything I have ever shot died within sight. I have been hunting all of my life...I know where the kill zone is...in this case I was aiming for a shot through the shoulder blade, lungs, far shoulder blade, My shot was right where I wanted it, except the angle was a little steeper than I had figured on. My point is this...pick on somebody that deserves it...because I very rarely miss.

And yes it was a clean kill....here is a description of the shot, and may give you an idea of the planning before the shot.
He was walking, I wanted both shoulder blades and the lungs....so I waited until his near side front leg was at the rear end of its stride (shoulder blade high), and his far side front leg was out to the front (shoulder blade low)...lungs in the middle.
This whole thing was an ammo experiment thought up to prove what I already knew...IF you can put a good bullet where you want it, a 4.25 inch 45 acp will cleanly kill deer and even the small eastern black bears.

I have killed deer clean with a lot less.

EDIT: TAB, I apologize if that sounded harsh...you are not the least bit aware of my intelligence or ability with a firearm...I got a little steamed because you insulted both my intelligence and my ability.
Some people shouldnt even be allowed to hunt with a 30-06...I'm not one of them.
If you think this sounds cocky...well, you could never understand, but if you carry a weapon on your side 24, 7 and 365 days a year...you better be this confident in your ability with that weapon or you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts