1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted a 1911 and the fact that I am taking a trip into bear country gave me cover to get one. I bought a 10mm Kimber Long Slide. I also bought some 220g hard cast bullets from Buffalo Bore.

Wanted to see if others had used this or a similar combo. I talked with Kimber and they said stay away from hard cast but I have seen other discussions here where there are different opinions.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My son lives and works in the Kalispell region of Montana. The first 1911 he bought as last-ditch bear defense was a 5" RIA 10mm. He too stokes it with 220gr hardcast Buffalo Bore ammo. 10mm is a little spicier than .45 but he reports no problems with the ammo. If it leads the bore, so what? That would be the very last thing I'd worry about if Yogi was about to make me into a meal.

My advice is to carry it in a chest holster like the Kenai that my son uses. I'm not sure if they offer a version specifically for a long slide but the muzzle end of the holster is open so you should be able to stuff your pistol into it. Call them.

Carry a giant can of bear spray too. Unless you can hit Mr. Grizz in the head, you'd be best served by laying down a fog of bear spray in the critter's face. Shooting him anywhere other than the brain bucket will probably just enrage him and even if you do score a hit in the heart the odds are he'll tear you to pieces before he expires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son lives and works in the Kalispell region of Montana. The first 1911 he bought as last-ditch bear defense was a 5" RIA 10mm. He too stokes it with 220gr hardcast Buffalo Bore ammo. 10mm is a little spicier than .45 but he reports no problems with the ammo. If it leads the bore, so what? That would be the very last thing I'd worry about if Yogi was about to make me into a meal.

My advice is to carry it in a chest holster like the Kenai that my son uses. I'm not sure if they offer a version specifically for a long slide but the muzzle end of the holster is open so you should be able to stuff your pistol into it. Call them.

Carry a giant can of bear spray too. Unless you can hit Mr. Grizz in the head, you'd be best served by laying down a fog of bear spray in the critter's face. Shooting him anywhere other than the brain bucket will probably just enrage him and even if you do score a hit in the heart the odds are he'll tear you to pieces before he expires.

Thanks. I have some spray as well and plan on carrying some slugs for my shotgun. Trying to cover my bases as much as possible. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It very be a really hard cast bullets, couple of round to Yogi bear aren't going to lead the barrel, a range section will, and accuracy will go to hell, if you are reloading to max 10mm, but is you cleaning that 6" barrel, me I would use 10mm 220gr. Jacketed FPs

·
Premium Member
524 Posts

DO NOT SHOOT A GRIZZLY IN THE HEAD!! unless you regularly win power ball pay pay outs you are not going to be lucky. break down the joints, then shoot below the ear. the shape and density of the skull is against you. i agree that a hand gun is last ditch. a good rifle is the stuff.i was born just east of glacier on the rez, and stockmen regularly shot bears in those days. as to the lead bullets i have shot 3-400 through my long slide kimber with no ill effects. have not even had to clean the lead from the barrel. i know i am going to get a lot of argument about shooting bears in the face, so be it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
DO NOT SHOOT A GRIZZLY IN THE HEAD!!
I think I'd be so rattled that I'd just start slinging lead in his general direction and hope for the best as my desperate last act of defiance. I'm thinking my best option would be to strap a fire extinguisher filled with bear spray to my back as I hiked up the mountains to commune with nature. :)

The problem is that it's highly unlikely you'll see Yogi among the trees and underbrush before he sees you. That last time we were out there our son took us on a four hour trek to the top of a mountain. He brought along his dog named "Bear" to hike with us. He explained that the dog would act as an early warning system for critters in the heavily forested region which would at least give us enough time to either move away or prepare ourselves.

The good news is Yogi and Booboo really don't like to be around people so being alert and noisy is your best defense so they'll know you're there and leave the immediate vicinity.

But . . . there is the story from a couple of years ago when two guys were screaming down the trail on their mountain bikes when the guy bringing up the rear collided with Mr. Grizz who stepped out of the trees onto the biking trail at the exact wrong moment. Mr. Grizz no doubt interpreted the impact as an attack and the bike rider was dead within seconds. The bike rider was a Forest Ranger who grew up and worked in those mountains not some city slicker from back East.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
if you are interested the alaska fish and game, the idaho fish and game and to a lesser extent montana have good information about big bears. when we lived in ak there was a guide that was killed by ambush from behind. never knew what hit him. the two guys who were with him spent 10 days scared to death in the tent until the airplane came back. turned out the bear had a kill near by. bears are incredibly fast. my dad had a thoughbred horse and he and his buddy chased a black bear across a meadow. got way left behind. my wife and i also lived near kane pa for a couple of years. those folks have some huge black bears. we had a 3 legged one that came up on the porch at night and ate some salmon skins and bones in the garbage can. he also came by to clean up the yellow transparent apples in the fall. we knew the young man on the bike. best, james

·
Registered
350 Posts
Powder coating your hunting bullets is the answer to leading.

You can boil off all of the wax lube, rinse in acetone, powder coat and bake in a $5 thrift store oven. As a bonus water quenching will bring up the BH quit a bit. There's scads of real world tests done, below is one of the many I've seen documented.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts