1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've done it... I finally ordered a .22 conversion kit from Kimber (actually from a dealer). After searching the net for a stocking vendor, I found a company in TX that had the Blue-Target sight version that I wanted.

I understand that the old "Platinum" conversion kits were made by Ceiner in Florida. But since Kimber started mfg their .22 handguns, they sell the same slide/barrel/etc. in the kit that they put on their full size .22 target pistols.

I got the blue version 'cause my Classic .45 is stainless. I figure that way, I'd immediately know what I'm picking up from the vault drawer when I want to 'go play'.

The vendor said I should have the kit in the mail on Friday, but with our local IDPA club match on Saturday, I'll have to wait until after the match before I can play with the new toy.

Does anyone have any advice/comments/etc. regarding the care and feeding of their .22 conversion?

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joe,

I don't have any advise for you, as i don't have a conversion yet. I am very interested in how the fit, finish, quality, and accuracy is of this conversion, as I really want to get one so I can teach my girlfriend to shoot. Plus it's a lot cheaper on the ammo. Would you please post us a detailed message once you have the chance to go to the range with it? It would be much abliged. I can't seem to find too much info on the kit on the net. Do you have a link to the place where you purchased? Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
724 Posts
I`ve got one and love it. It is my favorite pistol to shoot. It stays full time on an AMT frame I built up. One of those rubber jawed squeeze clamps comes in handy to take the recoil spring tension off when removing the barrel from the slide. Here`s mine. Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Kimber Mike,

I contacted two vendors that had adverts on www.gunsamerica.com and both had the kits on back order. Both kept me informed as to when they received their orders.

Bauer Shooting Supplies
P.O. Box 371 13300 Stonewall Farms Drive
Haymarket, VA
(703) 303-4524

and

Jim's Firearms and Shooter's Supplies
2318 Oak South
Nederland, TX
(409) 722-4000

Bauer had two of the silver kits in stock and Jim's had two of the blue kits (now he has one!). Bauer's price on the kit was lower, but his price on extra mags were higher than Jim's. My order, included extra mags so basically it resulted in generally the same price for the package from either vendor.

I've previously purchased Kimbers from Bauer, but this is my first purchase from Jim's in TX.

One of the other members of our gun club purchased a Kimber .22 kit for his Classic, and shooting his gun is what hooked me on wanting one. (flashback to Will Smith in the movie - "Independance Day" when he flew the alien space ship out of the Nevada hanger... I said the same thing when I shot that .22; "I've got to get one of THESE!")

I'll let y'all know what I think with I have the kit in hand.

BTW, none of the three Kimber master dealers in Charleston, SC had any in stock... and one dealer wanted 25% MORE than what Kimber Factory would directly sell anyone for at full pop MSRP.

Considering that you are not buying a firearm, any vendor can ship the kit directly to you and not have the hassle or expense of having to go through an FFL... basically I saved well over $100 by shopping the net over what local merchant's wanted for the same thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't have a conversion, but I do have a complete rimfire model. My only suggestion would be to shoot CCI Mini-mags.

I shot quite a few different brands, and the Mini-mags are the only ones that seem to cycle reliably.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay sports fans, all day today there was a brick of MiniMags sitting on my desk at the office as I waited for the mailman to arrive with my new toy... and waited... and waited... and waited...

Finally he walked in WITH MY PACKAGE!

So... now that I'm home, I read the instructions cover to cover (four pages! 20 seconds!) It said to disassemble, clean and lube everything before using... so that's what I did. The instructions said that the slide stop that comes with the kit is unique to the .22 conversion and should be used instead of the one that's in my .45. I looked at both side by side and I do not see any differance between the two, but none the less, I followed the instructions.

Then I mounted it on my stainless Kimber Classic (my favorite IDPA toy!)... then mounted it on my Colt Gold Cup Series 70... then mounted it on my Colt Officer... and on my Ultra Carry...

After comparing its fit on each one, I put my stainless Classic back together as I've got a club match tomorrow morning... and mounted the .22 kit on the full size Colt frame.

And I think that's where its gonna stay, cause I can have a full size Kimber .45 at the ready, ALL THE TIME.

And I can have the full size Kimber/Colt .22 at the ready since my wife likes the feel, but doesn't like a .45.

(my fear is that when she tries it out tomorrow, she want to keep it for herself... and replace her old (piece of sh*t) High Standard Mk IV four inch .22 revolver that she absolutely addores!

I figured it was better to have a crappy gun that she likes and enjoys shooting that for me to force a gun on her and not have her feel comfortable shooting. That way if she ever HAS to use a gun on someone, I'd rather that she use something she's familiar with and enjoys shooting. I gotta feeling that once she shoots the .22/1911 she'll see the light and let me sell that old H.S. .22 revolver.

Anyway, fit and finish of the Kimber kit... I got the blue w/target sights. The slide is aluminum... and is very dry... as in NO lubication. So, as the instructions said, I put a thin coat of Shooters Choice gun lube on all the moving parts after cleaning everything (packing/shipping grease, a few errent metal filings, etc.). Once it was properly lubricated, everything fit nice and tight on all four of my 1911 pistols. But, as I said, I think I'm going to keep it mounted on the old Colt frame, as it has a military style hammer and a light hammer spring and it would be easier for my wife to operate the slide than if it was mounted on the stainless KimClassic.

Anyway... that's the report for now. I'll let you guys know how it shoots after a day at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
724 Posts
draco, sorry, I can`t help on the price. I traded a Browning .22 rifle for mine. My dealer wanted the rifle for himself and I wanted the conversion unit. Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim's Firearms and Shooter's Supplies in TX sold me mine for $257. I also bought extra mags ($25ea). And as I'm in S.C., I paid NO SALES TAX :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you want to 'shop around' for a .22 kit or for any thing else, I've been using www.gunsamerica.com , which is a firearms classified ad service. I've bought several firearms from vendors via this medium... at quite a savings over my local dealers are charging. :cool:

Well, I'm heading out the door to go to our monthly IDPA club match, and take my new .22 out on it's maiden voyage. :D I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want the best buy a marvel 22 conversion unit. I have one on my Kimber II target, and it is perfect. It is probably the most accurate 22-45 riig out there. Check out the marvel site...accuracy at 50" (i shoot at 45") is unbelievable..they also have a second model for plinkers..it looks perfect match on the kimber frame.
BG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian87,

I looked at http://marvelprecision.com and their excellent premium locked barrel / two piece slide .22 conversion and you are right... it is THE BEST .22 conversion for a 1911.

When you log onto Marvel's customer forum, you can read the praise that people have for that model, but the 'economy' version is similar in design to a standard 1911 slide, but the Marvel version has met with some highly critical reviews on their website. For every one good review, there were several people that didn't like it. That's the reason why, for about the same amount of money I went with the Kimber factory model.

When our local area Kimber dealers wanted the same $350+ for a Kimber .22 conversions as what Marvel asks for their premium grade tack driver (with accuracy at a degree that I don't need), I chose to look for a lower price alternative.

In all that I've read about the Kimber manufactured kit (vs. the Ciener kit); I decided to go with Kimber vs Marvel's $250 kit.

Read their forum and see what customers think of the "new economy" model, and then decide for your self.
--------------------

As for my new toy, I just got back from the range and after having burned over 300 rounds of Federal .22LR 36grain copper plated hollow points through the Kimber, my biggest complaint is that my fingers are sore from loading the mags all day.

Out of all those rounds, I only had one to fail. It had a clean impact dent in the rim, indicating that the round failed and not the gun.

Of course our IDPA steel plate machine was adjusted for a minimum of 9mm, so although I was able to clang, clang, clang, clang, clang my way down the row of plates, only two out of three would actually fall. Still, it was Great fun!

One of the IDPA segments was "fun" scenario where you walk down a hallway and shoot the hostiles in a room at the end of the hall; only in this case, one of the Bad Guys could SHOOT BACK!

The match director built a 250 "round" pneumatic ping-pong gun that was motion sensor actuated. By the time you get to the end of the hall, the ping-pong gun starts shooting back at you at 50-60 balls per minute and you have to dive for cover and/or take out the Bad Guy target on the right dead center in order for a plate behind the paper target to clang down on the kill-switch, stopping the ping-pong gun.

After the match competition, I shot that scenario with my new .22 conversion. The ping-pong Kill-switch plate took almost all of my ten rounds to hammer it down as it was rigged to be knocked down by a much more powerful caliper.

Many of the people standing around thought I was shooting a .45 until they actually heard it fire. Some thought that I was missing the target because the ping-pong gun was till shooting back at me after I had shot the "kill-switch Bad Guy" several times with clean center hits.

Needless to say, the .22 conversion will stay mounted on my Colt Gold Cup Series 70 frame all the time and be available for cheap shooting fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing... I called Kimber Custom shop about that same question. I asked them that since they are making 9mm pistols, just like they are making .22 pistols, why couldn't they sell me the slide/barrel/mag as a 9mm kit.

The guy I talked to said that the ejector post on the frame is longer for 9mm and .40 and wouldn't work. He said that a gunsmith could replace the post, and replace the springs and modify the feed ramp... but the cost to have all that done on a standard 1911/45 would negate the use of the gun back as a .45.... so... bottom line was to simply go buy one of Kimber's new 9mm pistols.

Sounds like a good excuse to get another gun :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts