1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I purchased a Kimber 22 lr conversion unit to go on my Raptor II 45 ACP. Wanting to shoot 22 lr with the same gun as I was shooting the 45 ACP. Found out the unit did not like almost every LR except the 40 grain MiniMags and a few other high velocity 40 grain boolits. It definitely would not shoot CCI 40 grain standard velocity (1080 FPS) with many FTF and FTE malfunctions (had to shoot them 1 at a time). Read some where on here (thanks to whom it was) that installing and Wilson Combat 19 lb hammer spring might help. The spring came today. Took about 30 minutes installing it and down in the field me and my dog went. Damn it worked great. Only had 1 FTE in a box of CCI 40 grain Standard velocity shells. Also shot Winchester 36 grain 1360 FPS and had a few FTE but mostly ran fine. I was satisfied.:D

Question: Do I need to install a buffer when shooting my low power 200 gr SWC cast boolits or will the 45 run fine without frame damage using the 19 lb hammer spring? I load 3.8 to 4 grains of bullseye behind a 200 gr. SWC.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Question: Do I need to install a buffer when shooting my low power 200 gr SWC cast boolits or will the 45 run fine without frame damage using the 19 lb hammer spring? I load 3.8 to 4 grains of bullseye behind a 200 gr. SWC.
No buffer.

Mainspring only has its effect as the slide pushes the hammer back.
Once the hammer is back (just 1 inch of slide travel) mainspring is
outa the picture. It has no more effect on rearward travel
as far as frame battering goes.

If not needed, a shock buff will bring grief without benefit.
Especially with soft shooting 200gr SWC cast.
That's a nice sweet accuracy load, you gotta love it.
No buffer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No buffer.

Mainspring only has its effect as the slide pushes the hammer back.
Once the hammer is back (just 1 inch of slide travel) mainspring is
outa the picture. It has no more effect on rearward travel
as far as frame battering goes.

If not needed, a shock buff will bring grief without benefit.
Especially with soft shooting 200gr SWC cast.
That's a nice sweet accuracy load, you gotta love it.
No buffer.
Thanks. And that load does shoot well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts