1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kimber Stainless Target in 38 Super. Can I convert to 9mm by adding a 9mm barrel and mag? If so, which barrel and mag work best. Is this a "drop in" or do I need to do any fitting?

Thanks,

Jules Lewis
[email protected]

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did it through Kimber

Try Kimber. They make a barrel and have mags on hand. It should be a drop-in, but they installed mine for a very reasonablel price and one week turn-around.
Good luck.
Lenny

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
You need a 9mm barrel.
There are drop-ins advertised but I have found they usually need some fitting.

You might be ok on magazines, I shoot 9mm hardball out of .38 Super mags so as to get 10-round capacity for IDPA ESP.

You might be ok on recoil spring, Colt lists 13 pounds for both calibers.

You might be ok on extractor for rimless 9mm and semirimmed .38, or you might have to do some tweaking or keep a separate one for each caliber. I have had one each way.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It probalbely will work find except the head diameter is about .005/.010 different. The 38 Super is larger. When used with 9mm brass the rounds wil be pushed to the side .005 or more depending on the clearance in the slide breach face. In most cases this will not cause a problem but in a few case it can cause infrenquent failure to feed.

THe 38 super mags have worked for me for over 15 years. I have Metalform, Megar and old Wilson's. If I had my choice I would buy the Metalforms as they seem to work better than the Megar's and I don't believe the Wilson's are available any more.
I have used both 9mm factory and reloaded ammo in the super mags with great sucess. I like a longer 9mm round if I reload and it fits in throat of the barrel. They seem to be softer shooting and less pressure if you decide to push a 9mm hard.

Ed Henry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts