1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of a wrist injury, I have decided to pick up a stainless Kimber Custom to reduce battering of my hands while my wrist heals. I've read numerous posts indicating, at one time, Kimber cut the 9mm breechface to the same dimensions as .40/10mm. I also read posts indicating Kimber did change to 9mm specific dimensions at some point. Has anyone confirmed if this did, in fact, occur? I currently have an older Aegis (wanted the Custom to increase weight/decrease recoil further) and measuring that reveals it has the .40 breechface dimensions.

If the breechface dimensions have not changed, what seems to be the consensus on the best extractor replacement? Wilson seems to garner much favor.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, actually many of the posts did attribute failures to extract to the breechface and inability of the extractor to gain a proper purchase on the rim. Seemed as though the failures were often intermittent and could be a combination of factors including improper tension of the extractor of failure to fit the pad.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
OK... that does sound like an extractor issue.

I checked my Kimber 9 and .40 and found that the cut on the 40 was 0.005" wider than the 9. The 40 is an old gun I've had for some time, but the 9mm is less than a year old.

I have never had to replace a Kimber extractor so myfirst action would be to tighten extractor tension

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Over a period of several years I have owned three Kimber 9MMs and a .38 Super, all had .40 cal. breech faces. My current 9MM Target II is about five years old,IIRC, so perhaps newer Kimber breech faces are machined differently. All my Kimbers had/have factory extractors and I don't recall any extraction failures at all. My .38 Super and 9MM Kimbers have been as reliable as any semi autos I've ever owned, 1911 or otherwise..ymmv

·
Registered
361 Posts
My new TM 9 was purchased factory new a month ago. A 40 round will come to proper position on the breechface. The gun failed to extract regularly. Could not get through a mag. After several retensionings in the weigand tool and fitting an egw fps to prevent a slight amount of clocking it failed to extract once in the last 300 rounds. That could have been a damaged rim on a bad case since all I shot that day was my reloads. More will be put through it in the morning.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Team Match 9? Keep us posted on results with continued shooting. Had to postpone a range session but also plan to get out tomorrow. I did fit a Wilson extractor and, if the Kimber extractor proves problematic, will test the Wilson. It appears the Kimber may be plated rather than actually stainless steel; though that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Team Match 9? Keep us posted on results with continued shooting. Had to postpone a range session but also plan to get out tomorrow. I did fit a Wilson extractor and, if the Kimber extractor proves problematic, will test the Wilson. It appears the Kimber may be plated rather than actually stainless steel; though that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.......
Shot about 400 more rounds, all reloads. Had one failure to extract. No other issues. I have a hard time blaming the gun for a 1 in 400 now 2 in about 700 occurrence with reloads. But open to thoughts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you have the pistol up and running pretty well. A 3% failure rate and 350 MRBF with reloads seems to be a pretty fair average. I also hit the range and experience a consistent failure of the slide to lock back on an empty round and one failure to extract (200 rounds). The failure occurred while wearing padded tactical gloves and may have been attributed to a different grip or mitigation of some of the recoil forces due to padding.

I did make an interesting observation with the extractor. Looking at a dummy round held by the extractor; and realizing the 9mm relies on the extractor contacting the extractor groove rather than the rim (as would be the case with a .45) the front of the extractor actually contacted the angled surface of the case - preventing the extractor from settling in the groove and pushing the casing slightly away from the breechface. Beveling the extractor nose created slight clearance and allowed the extractor to seat properly in the case groove. I'm not sure if this is common but the modification seemed to allow reliable feeding with a bit more extractor tension.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
PD, I've had that extractor issue too, more than once. Not with the 9MMs or Supers, but with more than one .45ACP. I solved it as you did.

mike, FWIW I don't determine functional reliability of the firearm itself with my reloads, only quality, major manufacturer factory ammo. I have been reloading 9MM for a very long time and think I'm pretty knowledgeable about it by this point. I don't buy or use any other person's reloads, factory reloads, etc. I don't use range pick up brass, and pitch my own brass after it's been reloaded a time or two in order to produce safe, quality reloads. Even so, the base of my reloads, using RCBS or Dillon dies, cannot be sized down to the same dimensions as new unfired brass or ammo. In some guns this will make a difference. My 9MM 1911s happen to be very reliable with my reloads, but if I have an issue, I don't blame a gun that has proven reliable with good factory ammo. Sometimes my bright idea for some new and wonderful reload combination, is not quite as wonderful as I'd planned. Your gun might actually be 99.9999-100% reliable with quality factoy ammo...ymmv

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes I know your right but I only have the nine due to it getting hard to get 45 projectiles. I will never pay to run hundreds of factory through it since I shoot about 1500 a month. I did run 300 through it yesterday with no issues. I get the brass from work and using an under sizing die when I first get it would take care of it. But really I only put super care into ammo loaded for matches and I have only shot 45 in matches.

The gun has been good after the tension and breechface clearance was adjusted. Not sure if the fps was needed for sure but it did t hurt and did stop a small amount of clocking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.