1911Forum banner

Kimber 9MM

1526 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  molonlabe28
I've wanted a 9MM 1911 for awhile. I've been looking for a Springfield Armory 9MM 1911 with Novak Lo-Mount Sights, but they're not to be found. I'll spend the extra bucks for a Kimber. I would like to hear from any of you who own a Kimber 9MM...what model do you have?...how do you like it?...any problems?...any comments at all would be appreciated. Thanks! ~howieh.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Just tested a new Pro Tactical 2 today

Howieh:

I just went to my local dealer in Denver who had a Pro Tactical 2 in stock. I was shooting 10 yards and kept all 9 shots in the bulls-eye. I certainly believe this gun has sub 2 inch capability at 25 yards. Unfortunately, I will not be able to confirm this as I am not that good a shot and do not have access to a Ransom Rest to get to this firearm's intrinsic accuracy. I am very pleased with this purchase. The only thing I will need to do is have my gunsmith adjust the sights. Shoots 2 inches high and three inches right. Using Kentucky windage, I can manage bulls-eye hits from 10 yards. Recoil is exceptionally manageable and this gun is a pleasure to shoot.

My intentions were to get this and use it as my practice gun, as I can get the 9mm ammo cheap. Good news is that is likes the 115 grain winchester USA white box ammo and PMC. Nothing beats shooting mild ammo on the cheap all day long!

Good luck on your purchase and post any specific details I can try to answer for you.

RkyMtn45

· Registered
99 Posts
I bought a used 9mm Target II and after dealing with the "standard" slide stop and spring issues was happy enough to eagerly buy one of the first available Tactical PRO in 9mm

Both are running well for me

I really appreciate the light recoil, ease of racking the slide and cheaper ammo

· Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a Springfield Target Loaded in 9mm. It is truly a fun gun to shoot! With a 1911 in 9mm, you need tighter extractor tension though, so the first thing I did when I got the gun was to adjust the extractor. I have since put 1000 rounds through it without cleaning -- no problems whatsoever.

It is truly a fun gun to shoot, equally as accurate as a 45 ACP, and is so much lighter on the wallet.

I have a Kimber St. Target 9mm on order right now and couldn't wait for it to arrive.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have a Tac Pro 2 9mm

I love it! Accurate and now dependable after a trip to Kimber to fix failure to fully feed at times. See my post in Kimber Common Problems. I carry this on the job in the summer. I carry a 40 or 45 during winter.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avery Goodschot said:
I bought a used 9mm Target II and after dealing with the "standard" slide stop and spring issues was happy enough to eagerly buy one of the first available Tactical PRO in 9mm
Both are running well for me
I really appreciate the light recoil, ease of racking the slide and cheaper ammo
Avery: How would you compare the Target II vs. the Tactical Pro? Are they both full-sized? How do the sights differ? Was the Tact Pro for concealed carry? Any further info you can supply would be appreciated. Thanks! ~howieh.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
9mm and 38 super are a ball to shoot in a 1911 platform gun. I've owned a 38 Super Target Kimber and loved it (a buddy loved it much, much more) and I've owned a 9mm SA Target. Both were reliable and good shooters.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
PUREVIL said:
Dont buy a 9mm 1911.... thats like buying a Corvette with a V6. IMO 1911 should be .45 and nada else.
Your right. I'd much rather get run over by a Vette with a 6 cylinder than a Vette with an 8.

· Registered
81 Posts
Do all Tac Pros come with the external extractor? I have heard that many of the newer production Kimbers are coming out now with the old tried and true internal extractors. I was just wondering if this included the Tac Pros. A search on Gunbroker looked like all the ones listed there were external.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
My compliments on the Kimber Tactical Pro 9mm.

I have been eyeing them for a while.

I have a Kimber Stainless Special Edition II, which came out about 3 or 4 years ago, and had a 9mm barrel fitted in it.

It is a great gun, and I have been wanting the Tactical Pro 9mm to go with it.

As for the 1911 in 9mm, I think they are a blast to shoot. I plan to add more to my collection of them.

Different strokes, amigo.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Everywhere in this forum and in many more gun rags, I'm seeing the acceptance of the 9mm 1911. Not just as a training tool but as a defensive pistol.

Not to say that it can ever surpass the .45 ACP (one of the greatest cartridges of all time). It's ridiculous to even think that. The .45 will probably outsell all cartridges by a wide margin like it has been and will continue to do so far into the future. All I'm saying is that if a count was done, I bet that all the manufacturers that offer a 9mm have seen a rise in sales in the past year.

Me? I can't wait to get my hands on a standard Pro Carry in 9mm. I love the .45 ACP and have owned and carried four but I just got this hole in me right now that can only be filled by the abovementioned pistol.

Oh, and the icing on the cake will be when Tripp comes out with their dedicated 10 round 9mm Cobramags 1st quarter of this year! (info provided via e-mail by Shari Tripp) :rock:

Three cheers for the venerable .45 1911 but a nice toast to the 1911 9mm as well. :)

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I have been waiting on Tripp to come out with its new 9mm/38 super mags, but I didn't know that it would be this quarter.

I need some more 9mm mags and was thinking about getting some metalforms, but waiting for virgil's (or getting some of his new mags in addition to the metalforms) sounds good to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.