1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a 9mm for my daughter and wondering which one? Want a pro size, Aegis or Pro Carry? Any input wouls be appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
They are both great guns but there is a good bit of price difference between them. What is she going to use it for? Is it a range/HD gun or is she going to carry? Is she new to guns or has she shot a lot of other types? Can she appreciate the differences between the Aegis and the PC?

I guess my short answer would be go with the Pro Carry and spend some of the price difference on a bunch of ammo so she can practice with it.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
For a plinker (AKA 9mm M1911) the easiest to shoot are the full sized Government Model sizes.

For a self defense pistol the single extra round gained with 9mm is a poor trade off for the much smaller holes the bullets punch. I have a 9mm Government Model that's my primary training and practice pistol. My Ultra Carry is .45ACP.

If you're convinced a 9mm carry pistol is appropriate there are much better pistols than the M1911 system. The S&W M&P9c being my choice in this caliber as it's high capacity with the same general size as my Ultra.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well you've got the rite caliber for her.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the aegis worth the price difference? As far as caliber she really doesn't like to shoot 45s, but being new to shooting she does very well with my 1911 9mm's. Mine are full size I am thinking 4" for possible carry. She is like her father and is not very good with the polymer guns.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
She is like her father and is not very good with the polymer guns.
I dont know what that means, but she might like the XD9. At least she can have a 16 shot mag for about $475. I have one, and it fits my hand nicely.

I also have an Ultra CDP which also fits my hand nicely.

claire

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claire, thanks for the input. She has shot my model 92, a Sig, PX4, AND a couple of Glocks and she just shoots 1911s much better. The trigger on a 1911 style pistol is the big difference. We went to the range today and she shot her boyfriend's Glock and she was doing good to hit the paper but with the 1911 she will eat the target up. The difference I believe is the trigger? I can shoot the polimer guns ok but not as well as a 1911. She only started shooting about 2 months ago and really does very well, with a little more rounds down range and she will put the old man to shame but that is not all bad.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
The grip angle on the Glock feels funny to me, the Sig grip feels too fat. I've been shooting the XD much longer than the 1911, but they both have a more natural feel for me.

I think you are right in your understanding that it just takes putting rounds down the range.

claire

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If you're wedded to 9mm you really need to try the S&W M&P! I'm a M1911 guy but attended a course this last June where the "school pistol" was the M&P and made a believer of me. Yeah, it's "polymer."

The M&P has the most M1911 trigger I've found.

The grip angle on the S&W M&P will match that of a M1911. I've never liked the Glock for the poor grip angle, but the S&W M&P cures this nicely.

The Ultra weighs maybe three ounces more than a M&P9c so the extra 4 rounds in the M&P (12+1) will probably make the two weigh the same when both are fully loaded

I'm still a .45ACP and M1911 guy. But I bought a S&W M&P9 after experiencing it last June. 17+1 and good night sights makes this a good 0300 pistol where you don't have spare M1911 magazines in your PJs.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
77 Posts
YES the M&P 9c is a great choice in a pistol if you want to try something other than a 1911 platform. I have the 9c and have had zero problems with it. Just got a Ultra CDP in 9mm., YES in 9mm. Both are almost the same size except the 9c is wider due to the double stack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts