1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
I believe he said 9mm?

The thread linked out to a thread about 10mm. As for 9mm, I called Kimber a few years back and asked about 9mm. They told me they had all the business they could handle in .45, so why should they spend money on other tooling?

Apparrently, they don't have all the business they want now because they have started making .40SW guns. As for 9mm, I would say don't hold your breath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
yep, they're doing 9mm too

While the referenced thread focused on the 10mm, the press release also mentions pistols in 9mm and .38 Super:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kimber Plans Special Run of 10mm, 9mm & 38 Super Pistols

9mm Stainless Target II – The first 9mm Kimber is identical in features and price with the 10mm model and includes a 9-round magazine. As with all full-size Kimber pistols a match grade barrel bushing and trigger group, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety and slightly extended magazine release button are standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Re: yep, they're doing 9mm too

bring_the_noise said:
While the referenced thread focused on the 10mm, the press release also mentions pistols in 9mm and .38 Super:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kimber Plans Special Run of 10mm, 9mm & 38 Super Pistols

9mm Stainless Target II – The first 9mm Kimber is identical in features and price with the 10mm model and includes a 9-round magazine. As with all full-size Kimber pistols a match grade barrel bushing and trigger group, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety and slightly extended magazine release button are standard.
OK. I can't believe they are going to tool up for 9mm just to do a special run. I wonder who they will be buying the barrels from?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,220 Posts
Re: Re: yep, they're doing 9mm too

bountyhunter said:
OK. I can't believe they are going to tool up for 9mm just to do a special run. I wonder who they will be buying the barrels from?
Kimber's history says......a limited edition today is tomorrow's production model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Re: Re: Re: yep, they're doing 9mm too

Kruzr said:
Kimber's history says......a limited edition today is tomorrow's production model.
Yep....that's why I'll wait for the hub bub to pass and get in the game. 9mm 1911 is the hottest deal yet. Kimber is just late to the party again.

TR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: yep, they're doing 9mm too

Tree Rat said:
Yep....that's why I'll wait for the hub bub to pass and get in the game. 9mm 1911 is the hottest deal yet. Kimber is just late to the party again. TR
I wonder what's changed? I remember talking to the folks at Kimber a few years back and they said they weren't interested in 9mm because "nobody bought 1911's in 9mm". I asked if maybe it was possible that was because nobody was making them in 9mm? That remark was not well received. This was a few years back, it sounds like Kimbers market share is now low enough they need to break into other segments. I'm kind of surprised because as much as I like my 9mm 1911, I hardly ever see anybody else with one. The sales volume has got to be pretty low. Colt stopped making theirs in 9mm a while back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yep, they're doing 9mm too

bountyhunter said:
I wonder what's changed? I remember talking to the folks at Kimber a few years back and they said they weren't interested in 9mm because "nobody bought 1911's in 9mm". I asked if maybe it was possible that was because nobody was making them in 9mm? That remark was not well received. This was a few years back, it sounds like Kimbers market share is now low enough they need to break into other segments. I'm kind of surprised because as much as I like my 9mm 1911, I hardly ever see anybody else with one. The sales volume has got to be pretty low. Colt stopped making theirs in 9mm a while back.
Same experience here. I can answer your question in a few words though........

Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm

TR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,220 Posts
A few years back I asked my local Lexus dealer why doesn't Lexus make an SUV. He said.....who would buy a luxury SUV?

Markets change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Maybe IDPA has something to do with it. Springfield's loaded 1911 9mm is a hot item at those matches. Now that Springfield stopped making them, Kimber might have seen an opening in the market they can fill. I have the Springfield and would be interested in the new Kimber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
AZ ERIC said:
Maybe IDPA has something to do with it. Springfield's loaded 1911 9mm is a hot item at those matches. Now that Springfield stopped making them, Kimber might have seen an opening in the market they can fill. I have the Springfield and would be interested in the new Kimber.
Springfield only discontinued the Novak fixed sight model (P19130L) but still produce the adjustable BOMAR style model (P19134L).........frankly I never could understand a fixed sighted 5" 1911.

TR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Tree Rat said:
Springfield only discontinued the Novak fixed sight model (P19130L) but still produce the adjustable BOMAR style model (P19134L).........frankly I never could understand a fixed sighted 5" 1911.

TR
Yup. They are great shooters but you really need adjustables when you go from FMJ to lead and from 115 to 147 grainers.

Have Millet adjustables on my 1995 9mm Springfield 1911 A1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
As far as the barrels go, I would guess that they are going to out sourse the the barrel to someone like Smith did with Briley, and then finish it in house. Now that Smith is making all of thier own barrels, they could be the supplier...
Personaly I love the idea of a 1911 in 9mm. Now if I could just find a way to convince my wife...:D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top