1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying the Aegis II Ultra for carry. Anyone with experience have an opinion on the hammer design? Gun shop owners repeatedly try to talk me out of the Kimber because of it and into buying a Springfield EMP.

·
Registered
891 Posts
That gun was designed for carry. It has a bobbed hammer to keep from snagging on shirts, etc. The only thing they probably don't like is the fact they can't de-cock it with their thumb, you have to dry fire it to un-cock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The bobbed hammer works very well if you are using the gun for CC ... I carry mine all the time and it does help with snagging. I get a lot of head shakes from the hard core 1911 folks, but the bob has no bearing on the operation...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've got the Ultra and Pro Aegis II models and love them both. They've been 100% reliable and very accurate. I CCW the Ultra Aegis in an IWB Milt Sparks VersiMax II holster and it never snags on nothing when I draw it! It's never been part of my practice to drop the hammer on any 1911 by hand. Dennis

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I don't buy the whole "better for carry" argument with the bobbed hammer. If you're carrying in condition 3, then yeah... it would be better, but who carries a 1911 in condition 3? If you carry in condition 1, (like MOST 1911 users), then you have a little metal spike to dig into your side! At least with a commander-style hammer the rear is rounded, and usually extends into the beavertail.

·
Registered
587 Posts
parallex: Hi! I don't know what your actual hands-on CCW experience with the Aegis has been but I carry one every day (either the Pro or usually the Ultra) in an IWB holster (Milt Sparks VersiMax2) and have never had the hammer dig into my side, or any other problem! Dennis

·
Registered
891 Posts
Really, everyone I've talked to or know that has a bobbed hammer always comments on how it doesn't dig in their side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Love My Ultra Carry Aegis And Have Thought About Putting A Regular Hammer On It But Haven't Done It Yet It Works Great The Way It Is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts