1911Forum banner

Kimber and other advice needed

1080 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  PhantomRider
New member, long time lurker.

I've been interested in the Warrior since they were introduced and really like the package. But a few things have me thinking.

Been a long time 1911 shooter. Currently own a Colt 1991A1 bought new 1991 (not a single FTF in 10,000's of rds) with WWII USGI "small parts and mainspring, and a lightly worked original series 70 Colt. I'd like to get a one of these 'new fangled' 21st century 1911's :biglaugh: .

Here's my dilemma. I want a rock solid package of all forged construction in the small parts department. I know the Kimber frame and slide is extremely well made with clean machining. Is it worth it to buy a Kimber Warrior and, over time, drop in Ed Brown parts (my estimate runs around $200 for the complete parts) conversion or is there a better option from another manufacturer comparable prices? If I'm not mistaken, the sights on the Warrior are Kimber knock-off's of Novak's or did Kimber keep these sights in the design? Otherwise, if they are copies, are they 'good'? On the same thought, is the grip safety the Ed Brown Memory Groove?

I'd rather not get into the MIM debate here. I'm well aware of the cost vs. strenght and pro's vs. cons. The forged requirements are just a personal preference to kick up the Warrior a notch. Drop in with your thoughts....all will be appreciated. Sorry about all the questions but alot has changed in quality and price since I last bought a new 1911.
James
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon fellas, help a brotha out here.....I need some fuel for the purchase, a shot in the arm and some basic info! Lets get rolling here! Perhaps I should be in the Colt or Baer forum?!?

· Registered
735 Posts
Well if money is not a problem I would drop the Warrior and suggest the Nighthawk GRP Recon if you are already talking about doing changes to the Warrior! You will not have to change a thing on this gun and it comes with the Sure Fire and laser light if you order it that way. You will loose your warranty with Kimber if you make changes and you won't with Nighthawk because it comes with every thing the way you want it "custom".

This is a bad to the bone gun. When I get other projects out of the way I will be ordering the Recon for my primary home defense weapon.

To be fair though the Kimber Warrior is a good choice for the money but figure in the MIM parts change/smith work (if needed) while your at it I would change to Schwartz FPS, and buying a Sure Fire, and laser grips if you want them and you are real close the cost of a Nighthawk anyway.

Here's the link. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/

Food for thought.

CG.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
fl_799

My understanding of the Warrior is all of the parts are Kimber manufactured clones of the name brand components you mentioned. Also, for the benefit of other readers, the Warrior is a Series I pistol with internal extractor and no Series II firing pin safety. The one Warrior I have seen was put together well, the sights looked good, and the grip safety felt okay in my hand.

Should you buy one compared to something else? That depends on what you are comparing too since there are not very many competitiors with similar pistols. I suggest that you take the price of the Warrior, plus upgrades (including smithing charges), and shipping, and compare this total with other pistols you are considering. I do know that Wilson has a similar pistol, Springfield Armory has three, SIG has one, Les Baer has the Monolith, and Nighthawk custom has a rail pistol as noted above. Considering what you have planned I would only eliminate the SIG and two of the Springfields, as they will probably need upgrades also. This leaves the offerings from wilson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and the Springfield Pro with rail. My suggestion would be to get the pistol that is made from the start the way you want it. While Kimber's are a nicly done mass produced pistol when your price point gets above $1,000 they are not the value the lower priced pistols are. When the total cost of a Kimber goes over $1,000 the semi-custom makers become better values as these makers put more effort into their product than Kimber does. So if your proposed Warrior with upgrades is within a few hundred dollars of the semi-custom pistol, I would select the semi-custom.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

That is the real issue with the Warrior since it's in striking distance of a Les Baer or other semi custom. I think I will stick with the Warrior and enjoy it just as it is and throw on the obligatory Gunner grips and be done with it. Perhaps do the Ed Brown hardcore extractor etc. I do like the fact that the Kimber is a combat pistol first and formost with some custom parts thrown in as a bonus. I'm used to bone stock and beat up 1911a1's or an occassional gold cup so the Warrior will a nice change of pace.

· Registered
725 Posts
What yer describing is a Dan Wesson, has all the pluses of a Kimber with non of the minuses, little to no MIM, Ed Brown, Wilson, STI or Kings parts, also no lawyer safeties just series 70 parts, most now being shipped with Ed Brown Memory grip safety and a trigger crisp and clean as a Kimber. I have both a Kimber and two Dan Wessons, the Dan Wessons are every bit as nice as the Kimber and cost me a lot less, I do love my Kimber, but it wasn't the same value as my Dan Wessons, not even close, better parts no plastic, triggers just as good, tight as drum and cheaper to boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.