1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forums but hoping to not be so new in the future. Recently bought my first hand gun and opted for the Kimber Custom II. I have put about 200 rounds through it so far and have always stored it in a closet in either the storage case of a soft gun bag that I bought for it. It really doesn't look like rust, it is blue/black and only near the end and then one small spot on the opposite side of the barrel, and I don't know what to do about it. Tried using a brass brush and oils/cleaners, but can't seem to make any difference on it at all. Took some pictures, though they don't seem to be coming out really great...

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Might you accidentally have left a harsh solvent on it?

Nate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100% not sure... I only have Hoppes solvent and when I put that on I wipe it off and then place hoppes lubricating oil on the barrel. would that be considered harsh?

Thanks for the outrageously fast reply.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
100% not sure... I only have Hoppes solvent and when I put that on I wipe it off and then place hoppes lubricating oil on the barrel. would that be considered harsh?

Thanks for the outrageously fast reply.
Wiping off the Hoppes solvent and applying oil is proper practice and should not harm anything. It's not rust and it won't scrape off. My only other idea is heat. Have you shot it outrageously fast? Some of the USPSA guys shoot so fast that their barrels heat to the point of discoloration (usually a blueish black color). Other than that, you'll have to wait until somebody with more experience to answer. Either way, I do not think it is something to worry about.

Nate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say outrageously fast, not like I put 200 rounds through it in 10 minutes... Not completely worried about it, but not happy about the discoloration to tell you the truth, brand new gun and I wanted to it look nice :-(

·
Premium Member
14,638 Posts
I only can see a scuffing of the finish, normal. The barrel is finished radially and when it slides longitudinally in the bushing as it's cycling the marks are changed.

LOG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so it is something to be expected? In my friends Springfield 1911 he has put a couple 1000 rounds through it and no discoloration at all... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
It looks like some kind of lube has burned onto the barrel. Hoppe's oil apparently doesn't take heat very well. I would guess you got that sucker a little hot. No harm. Try using Breakfree CLP. A Scotchbrite pad or some 1000 grit sandpaper will take it off if you can't find a solvent to dissolve it. Wear marks are normal. Don't sweat it. Shoot it. It's going to get wear marks on it. (Hoppe's works slightly better than dog pee but smells worse) There are many much better lubes around.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's rust. I have seen brand new Kimbers in the dealers showcase do this.
Try rubbing it with 000 steel wool wet with a good oil. Then keep a light coat of oil on the whole barrel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Kimber Ultra Carry 2 is bad about the port end of the barrel rusting. I carry it everyday, but it will start to rust if I don't oil her down about once a week. I got all the rust off it and polished the hell out of it with a dremel. Now it does not do it so often.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I read that Kimber barrels are 4140, that's actually good, as 4140 is stronger than 416, probably the optimum barrel material in my humble opinion. As for me, I'll never wear out a barrel so I prefer stainless.

Ok, 4140 is a medium carbon alloy steel, it will rust. It's chromoly steel.

One of the gunsmiths in this forum has mentioned barrel lugs shearing off the top of stainless barrels (Or was it the bottom lugs?), something we probably won't hear much about in chromoly barrels without some kind of extreme cause.

The 00 steel wool and oil sounds like the best bet to me. I personally don't like abrasives around the internals of my guns.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Red/Maroon ScotchBrite pads.
Dunno if the industrial ones are same color as the kitchen variety.
MSC Direct.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
Clean
Oil
Shoot
Clean
Oil
Shoot
Clean
Oil
Shoot
Clean
Oil
Shoot
"
"
"
:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have the same problem with every one of my five kimbers.i scotchbrite them off and relube,the problem isnt as bad when ilightly coat them with wilson combat gun grease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to go to my local gun store today and get some better oil and grab some scotch bright pads and see if it will clean off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gun store concurred. Something that happens with Kimber, normal wear. Sprayed with CLR and used a scotch bright after talking to Kimber, almost completely came off. Worked really well, and now I have a better lubricant!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nala1911 is exactly right.

I have the same pistol and use it for work. Great pistol and love it. Mine has a little over 3200 rds in the log book I keep for it. Bought it brand new in 2005.
The discoloration you see is rust, not really a big deal but it is annoying. Other areas to check for rust are in the groves on the slide and the sides of the hammer. Nala1911 is correct in removing it, a light abrasive and elbow grease will remove it. I suspect they use 400 grit or higher paper on the hammer to keep the flat sides.

FYI, Kimber recommends replacing the recoil spring every 1500 rds. and the bushing is worn to the point of needing replacement at 3200 rds.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
I read that Kimber barrels are 4140, that's actually good, as 4140 is stronger than 416, probably the optimum barrel material in my humble opinion. As for me, I'll never wear out a barrel so I prefer stainless.
Lots of barrel manufacturers agree with you, but 416 is strong enough for the low pressure .45 ACP without any problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts