Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this?

There was a thread on the Bullseye list about barrels blowing up - and someone mentioned this "This same problem has recently appeared in Kimber 45's with the Chip McCormick barrels that are made in the Philippines. They too are starting
to blow. Not all Kimber's, just the ones I just mentioned. It seems that
those chambers were also cut short and throated too deep and the same
problem is present. The problem is, you cannot tell, unless you take the
time to check out your barrel, whether on not that you have one."
I asked how you can determine if you might have one of these barrels and got the following reply "Thanks, and here is the answer to your question.

Disassemble your Kimber. Make sure the magazine is removed and check to
make sure that the gun is not loaded (my liability speech). Remove the
barrel from the gun. Drop a sized or new case into the chamber. View the
amount of exposed case at the base of the chamber. Pull the case out of the
chamber until it is flush or slightly (.001-.002") beyond the hood. Now,
with a felt tip or fine black marking pen, trace the chambers mouth at the
bottom.

Remove the case, is the side wall of the case exposed? How much side wall
is exposed above the web?

The more exposure, the greater the risk and the better the chance that you
will have a blown case, eventually. No one knows when!

I suggest that you purchase one of those Bruce Martindale [email protected] brass gauges. Check both new and 1F cases. Note the bulge."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Out of curiosity, if a 1911 style barrel does blow up, would the slide/recoil rod/bushing fly out and which direction would it go? I'm thinking physics here, it would end up in the air almost vertical...

------------------
"That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad"

- Robert Browning -

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hankhan, it almost sounds like you are selling a product to solve a problem that may not exist. I say that as I checked you description and you seller are both in Idaho.

How about providing us with the thread on Bullseye and letting us read the stories ourselves?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you fire out of battery, or have an overpressure situation that causes a case head seperation, the magazine floorplate typically gets blown out of the bottom of the gun. Any ammo in the magazine along with the spring and follower gets dumped on your toes.

About the only way to "blow up" the barrel AFAIK is to fire a live round round into an obstructed barrel (like one that has a bullet lodged in it from a previous round with no powder). That would split the barrel and probably damage the slide

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the chronology of how that query popped up.

I'd stumbled across the text/URL which follows relating to Glocks blowing up. Someone on the Bullseye list asked a question about AA#5 - and I posted the following (I don't use AA#5) which I'd found at the URL at the end.

The propellant AA#5 [See Annotation #1] has been identified in a
disproportionate number of kB!s, not only in Glocks but USP40s with barrels
which do provide full case support. A number of Glock-L members have
reported kB!s involving this propellant. It is not clear whether these kB!s
are the fault of the propellant or the reloader, but it is clear that they
are occurring in disproportionate numbers. As early as Fall '92 a source
inside Glock, Inc. told Speir on background: "A lot of the blown up Models
22 and 23 we've been seeing has involved Accurate Arms #5... and damned if
we know why."
http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-glock-kb.html

Here the info I have on the bullseye list -

This post to the Bullseye list generated a reply - which I then posted to the Kimber forum (it mentioned Kimbers) with my clearly stated interest (it's at the top of my post "Anyone know anything about this"). The reply to the Bullseye list came from
Neil (?) at NSK Co. 410-833-2100 | Fax: 410-833-2101 mailto:[email protected]

Maybe they sell stuff, I don't know what they do.

While I applaud your detective work, your conclusion that I am "selling something" is so far off base it's ridiculous. Like I said, my intent was clearly stated at the top of my post "Anyone know anything about this". If I were selling something - or had an interest in any of the companies/products mentioned - I would have said so up front. I have no interest in selling anything or in any of the products/companies mentioned.

I'm simply trying to find out if anyone has any additional info on Kimber guns blowing up; I and my friends have a number of Kimber pistols and if this is a problem we want to know about it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My suggestion of selling something had to do with the fact that you introduce a problem about which no one here seems to know anything about, a potentially dangerous problem, explain that you just can't tell, but must check the barrel, and then close with the suggestion that an item be purchased for the task. I see now where you have a portion of your information in quotes that I missed the first time. I gladly change my comment to being that the person who posted that originally might have an interest in selling products. As for that clearly being your interest in learning more about the quoted information, mixing the long quote in with your own paragraph didn't exactly set it apart from your own words.

The way this is set up has all the earmarks of a ptential scam where the consumer is informed of a problem that they did not know they had (and probably did not have) and then offered a product to purchase to determine if they are in peril or not.

By the sounds of it, the problem does not appear to be Kimber-related. More likely the cause is the powder or reloaders since there aren't any reports of this happening with factory ammo.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...my suggestion is you keep your day job and don't hang out that gum shoe shingle just yet.
My intent was stated upfront - if it had been anything else I would have said so.

·
2,953 Posts
Originally posted by hankhan:
Here the info I have on the Bullseye list - this got deleted from my last post.

- TO UNSUBSCRIBE send this message:
To: [email protected] + Subject: unsubscribe
- For DIGEST version use [email protected]
- Post list messages to [email protected]
- Full info at http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye

This link takes me to the main page. Is there a link to the direct text you are talking about. I suppose I have to subscribe? If that is the case then I have more than enough email.

I haven't heard anything about Kimber barrels blowing up. I am sure you can blow anything up if you aren't paying attention.

I agree with DNSPY that this thread is a bit odd.

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you have to subscribe to the Bullseye list - I find email pretty easy to manage, my keyboard has a delete key. I didn't know anything about it either (never heard of it happening) - that's why I asked here. This is usually a pretty good source for reliable info about Kimbers, I figured if it'd been happening someone here would know.

·
2,953 Posts
Yeah, I'm familiar with the delete key.

Considering that this topic is completely unsubstantiated and NOBODY knows about it and your link goes to a home page and not any real info, I am going to close the thread so as not to unnecessarily spread more rumor and myth. If you obtain additional info that we can easily get to then please pass it on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.