1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have just purchased a Kimber Custom Stainless. I was hoping that someone could provide some information on breaking in my new 1911.

Thank you in advance for any information.

WJR

[This message has been edited by WJR (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
416 Posts
You may have to run as little as a couple hundred to a thousand to break it in. Depends on the gun. My Pro CDP only took about 50 rnds to get itself broken in and then another 1000 for the dang extractor to stop throwing brass in my face. Later I found out about this radical idea called, "tuning the extractor"
In all actuality, it was the extractor that was malfunctioned to begin with and Kimber replaced it.

BTW, I think you will find the Kimber shoots better than you!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I field strip and clean the 1911 every 100-150 rounds as is stated in the owner's manual? Also, is it better to go ahead and field strip and clean the gun prior to firing the gun for the first time?

Thanks again for any information.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Put about 100-300 rds through the gun and then field strip and clean. Enjoy and great gun! Got one and a Stainless Target also. Welcome!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely field strip and clean before first firing. I did so I can be familiar with the weapon, also because the thing was covered in grease and packed in the blue ziplock still. Inpsect as well before initial firing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you really want to break it in send it to me and I will shoot and shoot it and shoot it...I promise to clean it after each trip to the range!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee114,

Thanks for the offer. No can do. The joy of breaking this one in will be all mine.

Thanks again for the info.

WJR

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks WJR, I just ordered a Kimber SS myself. I had the very same question. Is there anything more I should know before I go to the range?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Strip & clean, reassemble dry.

Thumbcock. Rack the slide about a million times
keeping the slide in control (don't let it drop by itself).

Strip & clean, lube with CLP/Tetra/RemOil/etc. liberally rails and bushing and reassemble.

Not as fun, but cheaper than a 1000 rounds of ammo.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got one myself. Definitely clean it first. In a case like this, it is always better to err on thew side of caution. Hope you are loving yours half as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
WJR

I posted a method to use for break in, in the Colt folder. Follow the link below, its a few posts down the list. There are also a few comments on using the new wonder (teflon, or molly based) lubricants.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts