1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Hope all are full of turkey, etc.. Been trying a lot of various 185gr HP out of my new CDP II, 3". Not to many FTF or FTEs BUT "1" is enough at the wrong time! Have tried "Zombie 185 Green Tip, Cor-Bon 185 HP, Federal 185 HP, etc..
Today bought a box (25 count)Rem 185gr Golden Sabers Expensive=$38.00)
and hand cycled all 25 thru the gun with no Failures to feed or extract.

Question, anyone have experience with these rounds out of a 3" Kimber or know of a more dependable "No cycle failure" round.

Don't really like 230gr out of a 3", big muzzle blast, no velocity.

Yes, ramp and throat are polished & using McCormick mags.

I live & work in Oklahoma City, gun failure not an option!

Any thoughts

Vic

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Hand cycling means nothing.

Golden Sabre is one of the more reliable rounds based on the shape being closer to 230 gn ball nose than some. That said, what works is what you test and runs well in your gun and you like.

That said, you might want to go over to the Ammo subforum and research a little on defensive rounds, bullet weights etc.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the 3" 1911's I like the Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max. Same round, just different color polymer tips. The rounded polymer tips seem to really help with potential feed issues.

I switch between an Ultra and Pro and carry 230 grain Winchester PDX-1 in both. PDX-1's worked flawlessly in both so I am confident with it.

Oh ya, hello neighbor to the OP. I'm in Broken Arrow.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
shoot 200gr or lighter bullets with 3" 1911s....also make sure extractor is tuned for push feed for maximum reliability. My ULtra had better luck with kimber stock mags.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 185 Golden Saber is a great round and has functioned flawlessly through my 3" tactical. I have had problems finding the 185s lately and went with the 200 gr Gold Dot and it seems to be working great and not one problem in the first 100 so far.

I to stay away from the 230 gr. in my 3" unless just FMJs for practice. I agree with zdragon52 with staying with 200 gr. or under I duty carry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts