1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering getting the kimber cdp compact, but i've been hearing some cons about its aluminum frame. Is this a major con or not? I really like this gun and its price tag isn't outrageous. Even if i don't get the cdp, i AM getting a kimber so don't recommend anything else. What would you suggest?? thnx

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have shot the Pro CDP II and the Ultra CDP II. Both are really nice shooters. The only issue we had was with the Ultra. Several F.T.E. but my buddy was going to address that with Kimber. I am still waiting to hear how he made out. Both guns were very accurate and comfortable to shoot. The grip on the Pro was just a little more comfortable due to the full size. If your going to use this gun for concealed carry, the shorter grip on the Ultra will make it a little easier to hide. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a compact CDP II and love it. It has an officer's (ultra) length grip frame. Mine has an internal extractor. The only minus I have seen to the aluminum frame is the use of Kimber or McCormick mags. See the sticky post at the top of the forum. Other than that, I have seen no issues. I usually don't do high volume shooting through it though (only a 100 rounds a trip). I put 200-500 through my fullsize steel gun.

Mine is reliable as all get out and suprisingly accurate..... just ask some very young "tactical" guy (who trains with real "operators") at the range who said his combat tupperware Glock 17 longslide was more inherently accurate than my Baer Police Special. :rofl: (You know, bushings and barrel links are inherently flawed and outdated!) Then he said it was surely more accurate than my Kimber Compact CDP II :biglaugh: ...then he said it is surely faster on follow up shots than my major caliber aluminum Kimber ....you guessed it, wrong again! :biglaugh: It certainly was more deadly. Almost caused me to laugh to death. At least he has more ammo capacity. The way he shot, he's going to need it. I should thank him, as there is nothing that improves my shooting more than condescending "tactical" Glock owners who know real "operators".

·
Registered
76 Posts
My favorite gun out of the four Kimbers I own.
Fantastic size, weight, firepower for a carry gun.
I observe very little "wear" of the frame, other than some finish on the slide rails after break in.
For huge volumes of ammo, I would probably go steel frame.
I usually reach for my my Pro CDP - aluminum shooter to reduce wear on my chosen carry weapon (although it still gets a regular workout also).

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Love the CDP

The first 1911 I ever shot was a Kimber Pro CDP that was a range rental. That particular gun shot so well that I fell in love with 1911's on the spot.
When I finally bought my first 1911 I shied away from the ones with the aluminum frame because I do like to shoot a lot. ;)
Three weeks after buying my all steel Kimber I came across a Pro CDP II with internal extractor. This gun was new and unfired and since internals are hard to come by now a days from Kimber I bought it. :)
I do not regret my decision at all. The Pro CDP has been perfect from the beginning and I feel 100% confident in having it take the place of my Glock.
Do I wonder about my aluminum frame and wearing it out? Nope! What I do wonder about is how comfortable that light pistol is going to feel strapped to my hip as soon as my holster arrives from Lou Alessi. :D
When I go to the range and swap between my full sized steel kimber and the aluminum framed CDP I really notice the weight difference. I'm sure I could get used to carrying a 5" all steel 1911 with the proper set-up. It will be easier though to switch from a light Glock to a light 1911.
I've read too that Kimber will replace the aluminum frame free of charge if it cracks. Not sure if this is true but I'm hoping that it is if I ever need the frame repaired.
I do use Wilson Combat magazines but every one in a while a regular mag will slip in the grip when I'm switching between guns. The steel follower mags haven't scratched my frame yet but I try not to take chances.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I owned a flawless function CDP Compact II (internal extractor) for quite a while. Past tense and no regrets.

The melt treatment is over done (as is the two tone, but that's cosmetics) resulting in a less firm grip when cycling the slide during immediate action or just routine shooting.

The checkering on the front strap slows my draw, makes it hard to slide my fingers around the grip quickly and easily. Fine once a good grip is obtained, but slow. Newer models than mine have, for unknown reasons, checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard. Abrades my middle finger.

Pistol needs the same basic modifications most other pistols of this type do: elimination of the right side thumb safety which has un-safed my pistols; fitting of good dot-over-bar, or dot-over-post night sights to eliminate the "which is the front sight?" question; replacement of the BBQ-gun grips for thin AlumaGrips; replacement of the target trigger with a standard length (AKA short) trigger; Gunsite Low Thumb Safety.

Frame finish is "soft" and wears rapidly. No reason it has to be black.

Replacement pistol is a slightly modified Ultra II. Bit shorter barrel. No "melt," I can cycle the slide with wet hands. Had to fit the other parts anyway, so no point in starting with unwanted things.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think that it's a great choice, if it's what you want

I like them more now that they have scaled back on the amount of the carry bevel on the slide. IMNSHO, I thought that they over did it on the early versions.

Some of your decision should be guided by the number of rounds you'll shoot each week/month/year. If you are a high volume shooter, you may need more than one. ;)

I chose a Stainless Compact II over a Compact CDP II, and regretted it later. The SCII was a great blaster, as tight or tighter than any of my other 1911's. However, it was almost as heavy as a 5" gun.

I guess the 3" guns sell better than the 4" guns like the Compacts, as Kimber only makes the SCII and the CDPII in that size, too bad.

I wouldn't worry about the aluminum frame. You just have to be carefull in your selection of magazines and change out your recoil springs.

You can also do some searches on the Kimber and Colt forum pages, at a minimum, for more info on aluminum framed guns.

Good shopping & good shooting!
:) :) :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts