1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my new Compact CDP and have a question: I want to install ultrathin grips, which requires that I replace the standard grip bushings with thin ones. I have a B Square Professional Gunsmithing Screwdriver set... I have no idea what a grip bushing screwdriver bit (if it is included) looks like. Can anyone either describe or post a picture of the appropriate driver tip? (I'm operating on the assumption that the bushings aren't 'staked', which may not be a good thing to assume...)

Thanks for any assistance!

PS: Can anyone point me toward an FAQ on disassembly of this pistol? Once the takedown tool is inserted into the full length guiderod, how does takedown differ from a GM, given the lack of a barrel bushing? The directions included with in the manual (yes, I read it) read like machine translated Portugese...

------------------
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectos nunc --- Not just pretty words!

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you retract the slide there is a small hole on the left side of the rod under the barrel. Kimber gave you a small piece of metal that looks like an allen wrench. stick the short end into the hole and release the slide back so that the slide release leaver can be slid out. If you don't have the allen wrench looking piece you can use a bent henvy paper clip. After that the disassembly is the same as a GM.

Question for you. What ultrathin grips are you using? Are they soft rubber?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Angry Beaver (are you Norbie, or are you Dag?)! I'll give it a try.

I've bought several ultrathin double diamond cocobolo grips for my GSP (and now my Kimber)from http://www.woodgrips.com . They have excellent quality and from my limited exposure, great customer service with cheap shipping.

Frankly, I just wanted the best ulrathin grips that I could buy, and I've been very pleased.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A grip bushing driver looks more like a nut driver: a round section that supports the outside diameter of the bushing, with a blade inside to engage the slots. It will normally remove a staked bushing if used carefully. If you trash one anyway...ductape the frame to protect it and cut a big slot in the bushing with a backsaw or hacksaw, then try again. A cutoff wheel in the dremel works well too if you're careful.

Thanks for posting the source, I've wanted some thin ones myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Make sure you clean up the threads and apply red loctite before installing the new bushings. Also, let the loctite set fully b/c you don't want to lock the grip screw and bushing. Kimber doesn't stake their bushings, and messing up a grip bushing install on a Kimber can be a hassle.
Good luck!

------------------
SKD Tactical, Inc. www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts