1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, the last time I went to the range, I had a female friend with me to learn a little about shooting a handgun. She had never fired one prior to me taking her to the range. My 4 inch barrel Elite Carry Kimber had several FTF, and others as well, which I attributed at first to her "limp-wristing" the gun. As it turned out, it did the same with me shooting it too. I got rid of the Shock Buffers and we will see if the problem is corrected tomorrow. The question I have is that I was recommended to change out the recoil spring and I bought a Wilson Combat 20 LB model today. This thing though looks to be about 2 inches longer than my stock spring and a sizeable amount larger in diameter too. Is this normal? Also, it is a bunch harder to pull the slide rearward. Is this normal??

·
Registered
335 Posts
KIMBERELITE45 said:
Folks, the last time I went to the range, I had a female friend with me to learn a little about shooting a handgun. She had never fired one prior to me taking her to the range. My 4 inch barrel Elite Carry Kimber had several FTF, and others as well, which I attributed at first to her "limp-wristing" the gun. As it turned out, it did the same with me shooting it too. I got rid of the Shock Buffers and we will see if the problem is corrected tomorrow. The question I have is that I was recommended to change out the recoil spring and I bought a Wilson Combat 20 LB model today. This thing though looks to be about 2 inches longer than my stock spring and a sizeable amount larger in diameter too. Is this normal? Also, it is a bunch harder to pull the slide rearward. Is this normal??
It sounds like you have a "Commander Size" spring, and if so you will damage the recoil rod plug.

Make sure the spring you get is the same length as the one you take out, or you could run into problems.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Kimber recomends changing
out the recoil spring on their 4"
models at 700-800 rounds...

I heard it was not a good idea to
use shock buffers on 4" barrels...

What I do is buy a new spring from
Kimber,,,and when the old one gets
about 1/2" shorter than the new one
I change it out...

Never had an issue with my Compact
series II in over 2700 rounds...

=================================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Your Kimber takes a 22# full diameter Officer's spring. You would be wise to stick to that and leave the shok buff out.

Wolff springs item number is: 49022

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So far all I have heard is three different things.
#1 That I have an officer's spring
#2 don't let the spring get too short
#3 I need a Commander spring

This much I know: The Kimber Compact is a 4 inch barrel, the "Officer's is a 3-1/4 inch pistol, and the commander is a 4-1/4 inch barreled gun. So with this knowledge, how can anyone say I need an Officer's spring, and there isn't enough of a difference in 4 inches and 4.5..any thoughts? What does Jeff Cooper say?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
If you don't want to believe answers to your questions here, you need to do the research yourself. Here is what Wolff Springs says.......

Kimber 4" pistols all use the same springs as the Colt Officers pistols.

Factory recoil spring are Colt Officers full-diameter 22pounds (use Stock Nbr 490xx)
Factory hammer spring (mainspring) is rated at 23 pounds.
Magazine springs are the same as Colt.
All other misc springs are the same as the Colt Government

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kruzr, no offense intended..I was just saying the posts contradicted each other to my knowledge.

1 question, how does the officer and Kimber compact use the same recoil spring? There is 3/4 inch difference in them?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Kimberelite, I've never measured a guide rod on a Colt Officer's model so I don't know the slide travel difference between that and a Kimber Pro or Compact. But I do know a Kimber Pro size takes a full diameter Officer's spring......I've replaced mine a number of times and found Wolff to be correct.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Call Kimber and order the
springs from them...

They should know what springs
go in their guns...

Not trying to sound harsh or
anything,,,but I have found
that on some boards you will
get information and misinformation...

It's up to you to decide...

=========================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
22,366 Posts
K-Lite

Kruzer is right; Wolff does indeed catalog the same spring for Kimber Compact as for Colt OACP. This seems frightfully undersprung to me.

Raspy may be right, Kimber may get more spring than that in, and you would then be better off with a factory spring. Get several, the gun is still undersprung in my opinion, and it will go through them pretty fast. At one time Wilson's catalog recommended changing springs every 400 rounds in this size gun.

I would contact ISMI and see if they would make up a flat wire recoil spring system for the Kimber Compact like the one they list for the OACP. This is an excellent system for the short Colt and would put the most spring possible in your Compact. IF they will make one with the right length guide rod and spring. I have read that they have done them for Commander, so they might be agreeable.
http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/
Read up on the Officers spring set and then contact them direct.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Something to keep in mind: Kimber Ultra carry=3" barrel, Colt officers=3 1/2" barrel, Kimber Compact and Pro= 4" barrel, Colt Commander=4 1/4" barrel. The Colt Officers spring should work in the Kmber Compact, but the commander may not. I use Kimbers springs in thier 4" guns as ISMI told me this past spring that he wasn't making a spring specifically for the 4" guns. Any time you replace a recoil spring you should check the complete slide travel with no spring installed, make a mark, and then check to be certain the slide can still achieve it's full travel with the new recoil spring installed. Otherwise you risk stacking the spring which can score your guide rod, bind up the gun or even lead to cracking the grip frame. The shorter the barrel, the shorter the slide travel and the more critical full slide travel becomes to proper functioning. This is why many folks advise against buffers in short barreled guns. BD

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
As soon as you put a recoil spring into your gun, it compresses a fair amount. If you take a new spring and put it in your gun, cycle it a few times and then remove it, you will see that it has shortened about a 1/2 inch! So just looking at the length of a spring doesn't really tell you much about its wear... I use a 22 lb spring in my 4" Stealth but was told that a 20 lb spring would work also. I prefer the 22 lb though for hotter loads to prevent battering of the frame. I will have to take a look at the spring in my Kimber Compact to see if it is the same as the Stealth. But if the dimensions of the guide rod is the same, I would think it would be.

H

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Bigboy,,,You are correct...I just
tried what you suggested,,,and the
new recoil spring did shrink up a
half an inch...

I'll now have to keep more careful
count of rounds fired...

Even though the new spring was a
half inch shorter,,,it was noticeably