1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post but still am confused on how to remove the spring assembly. Does anyone have a step by step process with accompanying pix? I sent several emails to Kimber (I also told them I thought the instruction manual was missing a step in the disassembly of the Ultra II) but they could only offer a few alternatives which don't seem to work for the Ultra II. I have a full size Colt and NEVER had a problem in "taking it down" even from the start!

:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Grip the slide at the rear and pull it back about 2 inches. Then insert the take down tool into the hold on the guide rod. This will hold the spring at tension. Then just remove the slide catch as you would normally and take the slide and barrel off from the rear to the front.

Jess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jess.

However, I did get beyond the point of removing the slide stop and the slide. However at this point I am unable to remove the barrel because the spring assembly prevents the barrel from being slid down and out from the slide. Note: the spring assembly is in the compressed state held by the take-down tool. "Tipping the barrel link forward to clear the recoil spring tunnel" as stated in the instruction manual does not work. I think Step 5. on page 31 of the operation manual is missing some instructions.

Anyone else who can walk me through this?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Did you by any chance put the takedown tool in from the bottom side of the guide rod? If so, it will stick out too far and prevent you from removing the spring assembly.

All you should need to do is move the link back and lift the guide rod and captured spring out the back, above the barrel (when holding the slide upside down). Then you can slide the barrel out the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try this. I don't even use the take down tool on mine anymore. Just take the slide off. Then grab the recoil spring guide rod assembly at the barrel link. Push in a little, then just take the recoil rod and spring out by tipping up and away from the barrel link. Leave the bushing for the guide rod in the slide. Then after getting the recoil rod assembly out, you can just take the barrel out the front.

Jess

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
I can't believe Kruzr got on this thread without offering The Diagram!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and advice Kruzr & Jess. I'll head down to the basement and the bench to give it a go.

Why can't Kimber make a short online video to show how this is done!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultra Compact Carry II

Ultra Compact Carry II
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried all the suggestions and reviewed the diagrams of the takedown tools and the guide rod etc. The guide rod on the ultra compact pro II is not a uniform size but is more shaped like a ten penny nail with a head. Just below the head of the guide rod, about an inch or so is a hole for the takedown tool. With my attempts to disassemble, so far I have been able to remove the slide. However the spring assembly with the take down tool in place remains in the slide with the barrel. I'm unable to remove the barrel or the spring assembly and guide rod. Can anyone give me step by step disassembly instructions - photos would be great too. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
dongle said:
Ultra Compact Carry II
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried all the suggestions and reviewed the diagrams of the takedown tools and the guide rod etc. The guide rod on the ultra compact pro II is not a uniform size but is more shaped like a ten penny nail with a head. Just below the head of the guide rod, about an inch or so is a hole for the takedown tool. With my attempts to disassemble, so far I have been able to remove the slide. However the spring assembly with the take down tool in place remains in the slide with the barrel. I'm unable to remove the barrel or the spring assembly and guide rod. Can anyone give me step by step disassembly instructions - photos would be great too. Am I missing something here?
I aasume by now you have figured out how to do it - and you probably feel about like I did yesterday after two hours of putzing with my Kimber. The spring and barrel go out the front. Spring first, then flip the link forward and slide the barrel out. It really is simple and totally painless when you do it correctly. The directions, however, are just terrible.

·
Registered
645 Posts
NO, NO, NO. On the Ultra II's the guide rod/spring and barrel do not come out the front. The guide rod & spring assembly come out the back and the barrel comes out the front. After you have captured the guide rod and spring with the tool or paper clip, you remove the slide from the frame. Turn the slide upside down and remove the whole guide rod and spring assembly out the "back" by tiping the flange up a little and then removing it. Flip the barrel link forward and slide the barrel out the "front" of the slide.

If you elect not to use the guide rod tool, you can just take the slide off and pull the guide rod & spring assembly out the back leaving the spring cap or plug in the slide. You can still flip the link forward and slide the barrel out the front with the plug remaining in the slide.

MadDog ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
MadDog said:
NO, NO, NO. On the Ultra II's the guide rod/spring and barrel do not come out the front. The guide rod & spring assembly come out the back and the barrel comes out the front. After you have captured the guide rod and spring with the tool or paper clip, you remove the slide from the frame. Turn the slide upside down and remove the whole guide rod and spring assembly out the "back" by tiping the flange up a little and then removing it. Flip the barrel link forward and slide the barrel out the "front" of the slide.

If you elect not to use the guide rod tool, you can just take the slide off and pull the guide rod & spring assembly out the back leaving the spring cap or plug in the slide. You can still flip the link forward and slide the barrel out the front with the plug remaining in the slide.

MadDog ;)
Sorry about the confusion. Kimber's names are too similar. Mine is the Ultra CDP II and that is how you do it. The directions are identically confusing and dongle's experience sounded just like mine. The process is very easy- just not intuitive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ultra Compact Carry II

Thanks for the information Dwights and MadDog. I'll give it another try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ultra Compact Carry II

:) SUCCESS! I was finally able to disassemble, clean and reassemble my Kimber Ultra compact carry II. THANKS to everyone for the suggestions but much thanks to MADDOG, your last suggestion finally open my eyes and solved the problem. I really believe in the value of these forums and sharing information even more now than ever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WHEW! I actually disassembled my new Ultra Carry II properly then. I did it last night and it went ok, but when I found info on the regular Kimber 1911's, I thought I had done it wrong, as I didn't take the spring out through the front. It's a relief to know I actually did it correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts