1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there are any Kimber counterfeits being made? I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II i aquired on a trade a year or so ago and am suspecting it may not be an original. The craftsmanship and finish on several parts looks very cheap and i just can't imagine this being the quality of an expensive gun.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
It's a real Kimber. Looks like the previous owner coated the slide with something. Machining marks look normal. Can't tell if the AL frame was abused???

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's a real Kimber. Looks like the previous owner coated the slide with something. Machining marks look normal. Can't tell if the AL frame was abused???
It looks like it was used a lot. If you have questions, best deal would be to call Kimber and check serial number and maybe send it back to be refurb'd.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I agree with the others. It looks like someone did a home kitchen spray a bake, or just spray, finish job on it, and used the hell out of it. The barrel won't be polished smooth and shiny.

The finish is easy to fix, have a good finish done, or if you want it original, send it to Kimber.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would call Kimber (914-964-0742) with the serial number and ask them.... They might be able to tell you what dealer received it from the factory and it might help you validate its authenticity. At the same time, you could ask them if they have heard of any knockoffs.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
It's a Kimber with a very bad spray painted finish. You can have the gun bead blasted and refinished.

The roughness on the lower lugs is nothing to be concerned about. You can smooth it out but you would just be taking material off the lugs for no reason.

(Keep in mind that a Kimber is a mid priced production1911 not an "expensive" semi custom or custom gun.)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I noticed the lack of hand etched serial #'s on the underside of the slide but they may have been worn/buffed off. They etch the slide w/matching #'s to the frame to keep them together during manufacture.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I noticed the lack of hand etched serial #'s on the underside of the slide but they may have been worn/buffed off. They etch the slide w/matching #'s to the frame to keep them together during manufacture.
Not always. Most do but I've seen some without it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The last two new Kimbers I bought in '08 didn't have the ser# on the slide FWIW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts