1911Forum banner

Kimber Custom Classic SS vs Springfield PX9109L

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dwenslen 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and if I make a mistake please forgive me. I am looking to purchase a handgun and I am looking at the Kimber Custom Classic SS for $669 and the Springfield PX9109L for $615. Which one is a better deal for the money? Which one is the "better" gun? Are these good price? Where is a good place to buy these guns?

I don't have any experience shooting a 1911 and planning on trying one out at the range this week. I have purchased a Glock 19 to practice with but want to buy a good quality gun that is also nice to look at that will keep its value over time. Any suggestions? I am open to other 1911's as well.

Thanks for your help in advance.

George

#2 ·
Between Kimber and Springfield, I take Kimber every time. I have just been very happy with the Kimbers I own. I have yet to have any problems with the MIM parts, or with the pistols overall.

I, personally, do not care for the sharp edges that Springfields tend to have from the factory.

Last Friday, I looked at a Springfield that was built up to look like a Kimber Ultra CDP. I am sure it would probably shoot just fine. It just did not have the eye appeal and finish of the Kimber lying next to it in the case. The metal on both the slide and frame of Springfields seem to have a real rough finish, not something I am looking for really! I was really disappointed with the grips on the little Springfield. They looked like someone had whipped them out in about five minutes out in the backyard shop.

I guess I am just a Kimber man!

Just my $.02

#3 ·
i had the same "problem" and got the kimber-shot it today and it ran like a dream.
I'm sure the SA works too, but there just seems to be more attention to detail on the kimber, at least in my opinion. nice dehorned edges, good trigger etc...
can't go wrong with either, but I like the kimber classic stainless i got yesterday.
cheers,
Derek

#4 ·
Thank you for your input and suggestions. I have heard many times from local dealers and other gun experts that they would take the Kimber over the Springfield but they are very close in comparison. I think I am going to go with a Kimber Custom Classic II SS.

Any suggestions on any "must haves" that I should get along w/ the Kimber Custom Classic? (ie. mags, night sights, etc.)

Thanks

George

#5 ·
Having shot both I would go with the Springfield, but just by a nose. The Springfield package is really attractive to me.... night sights, parkerizing, better grip safety (IMO), and a great price to boot. The down side is the Springfield is not dehorned as well as the Kimber. The last few stainless Kimbers I've seen don't have as nice of a finish as some of the older Kimbers. The finish is a bit too porous for my tastes; Kimbers stainless used to be much smoother.... softer. I also have a friend who owns a stainless Kimber that is a rust machine, no matter what we do the gun always seems to gather rust. My friends Kimber could just be a problematic gun, YMMV.

#6 ·
Buy stainless Kimber, send it to Richard Heinie for Straight Eight night sights.

Then buy several Wilson mags, and as much as ammo as you can afford. CCI Blazer is cheap and runs great thru my Kimbers!!

Then go out and shoot that thing!! As much as possible. And get as much training as possible.

#7 ·
My kimber II classic ss shot very well this morning-the rubber grips gotta go!
got some mircata fake "rosewood" on them know, but might pick up some carbon fiber or???
also need to track dow a normal spring guide and stainless plug. like the sights, but wish the rear was opened up a bit more. might go with heinies or novaks. might see which are "drop in"
for idpa or winter carry, you might want to check out a gcode paddle holster-good stuff.
cheers,
Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.