1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! This is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone is having the same problems I am. I purchased a Custom Eclipse II less than a month ago. I have already had to replace the grip safety because the finish wore thru after the first firing. In addition, I shipped the slide back to Kimber today because the front sight went dark! Any similar problems out there, or is this just a Kimber fluke?

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
I'll admit the black oxide finish doesn't appear especially durable, but then again since STS is non-porous any applied finish is more likely to come off than on carbon steel. BTW the grip safety on the new Kimbers with the FP block has a thicker trigger stop pad. I hope you noticed that.

Regarding the front sight, that seems to be a known issue. It looks like Meprolight is having a "bad runs" kinda day.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SamColFan,
Thanks for the reply...I'll check it out!

dsk,
The black Oxide finish seems to be holding up well, I think the finish on the grip saftey is something else...maybe just a traditional blueing...???

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
I haven't yet taken a cold blue-soaked swab to the parts on mine to see if they are carbon steel or stainless.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
120 Posts
All these problems with a pistol built by the "custom shop" of a major manufacturer? Eight-month wait? Shows no pride at all in what they do. What a shame. I guess this is one of the reasons I don't have a 1911 yet. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey GUNMAN has Kimber fixed your night sight on the Eclipse?I just got one and my front sight has gone dark after 150 rounds.Kimber has told me to send back the slide for repair.I'm wondering how their warranty service is.I have read this problem with the night sights on the new Kimber's is fairly common. Thanks, ShooterJD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts